Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's Not Being Said About Backup QBs

shamaran

Well, Om, the trouble is the same argument about opinion coming off as fact can be cited on the other side as well.

Some posters here imbue Husak with definite skills and abilities we have not seen in evidence. It appears to be wishful thinking more than anything else.

The same posters say that Banks or Frerotte is an "embarrassment" or the "bottom of the barrel".

Well, the last time I checked Frerotte has been in the NFL for 7 years, Banks for 5 and both have started.

Meanwhile, the Redskins' backup wannabes haven't even pi$$ed on an NFL field yet, they have been around about as long as my current can of shaving cream. biggrin.gif

It certainly seems that when one points out that many of these younger players at QB, DL or OT have failed to impress, those posters are barraged with denunciations about being Anti-Redskin or not knowing anything about football.

Let me say, that while it is true that in the preseason veterans often don't go all out on every play or treat the games as real tests for themselves, it is also true that no professional athlete goes out on ANY field to try and embarrass himself either.

Derrick Ham and Michael Bankston were blown off the ball in KC and ridden down the field like shoefly kites evil.gif because they were being manhandled physically not because they were pacing themselves.

As far as the 91 yard return goes, there were few vets out there that had secure jobs before the KC game. So the argument they just came out a little flat as if they had all the time in the world to impress the staff is complete BS.

Time's a wasting.

I agree the blade (small "b") cuts both ways, bulldog. But I haven't really seen anybody around here defending Husak with anything more than a "it's too early to tell" mantra. I know I haven't. I saw him perform quite adequately in one day of camp, and reported that I thought he had the physical tools to be a competent backup. That's all.

AS for the rest of the team's performance, such as it was ... I've said my piece. At this point, it's Friday night I'm looking forward to. I can't wait to see the reactions, one way or the other, based on how the team looks. Either way, I have a feeling the board is gonna be buzzing.

And by the way ... get a shave, huh? smile.gif

Well, let me first say that I'm sorry to have offended anyone or their opinion.

Since I'm getting up in age, I probably don't grasp the unwritten rules of such forums. I find these places and email in general to be very cryptic. In that I mean, you can't tell what is tounge-in-cheek, etc. I suppose the use of icons is supposed to help in that regard?

We could debate until Dano grows another three inches the merit of opinion and where it may or may not become fact. I won't do that.

I also won't post anything that isn't positive anymore. I get enough grief from the real world.

No, I don't have the time (or inclination) to go back and hunt down what was in print or on the air, etc. Frankly, I talk to so many folks about the Redskins, what I've written here about George and DEON may have been told to me by someone like Ken Beatrice, Sonny or some other friend that is more in the loop than me. But, I think those two topics can be found, as stated, in print (probably from the Richmond or Roanoke papers).

Again, sorry to open this can of worms. I still say the team will be fine, Husak is a fine young man, and the best thing that George ever had going for him was his arm strength. Hopefully, no person could take any of that as negative.

Shamaran, I think some people here have their identity too closely tied up with the performance of their sports teams.

While sports is an important means of self-expression both for the participants and for the spectators it should never be mistaken for "real life" as we know it, ie raising children, taking care of aged parents, doing well in school and in our communities,etc.

I post a lot here and have no problem with being taken to task when people disagree. In the course of discussion some people get more personal than others.

I would not take that as a sign that YOU have done anything wrong or that you need to apologize for someone else's fantasies that aren't going to come true.

Heartache is just as much a part of sports as glory. As a Lakers' fan I remember seeing Magic Johnson's news conference when he disclosed he had HIV. At the time I was trying to figure out how the Lakers were going to get back over the top and revenge their 1991 loss in the Finals to Jordan and the Bulls.

All of a sudden there were more important things to consider.

Whether the Redskins finish 14-2 or 2-14 isn't going to change who we are.

So, in my not so humble opinion, you should continue posting what you think and feel regardless of what some other people may say.

Just because somebody has an NFL almanac next to their desk and can spit out how many consecutive games a player has started doesn't mean that person really knows anything about the game at all.

I'm with Bulldog Shamaran. You should post what you know, whether it's glowing or destructive. Either offering is well worth the conversation it will inspire and there's NOTHING wrong with a little verbal bump and grind among fellow posters. I think where you went slightly wrong in this thread and another I just saw is you came off as if you were stating a known fact, that really wasn't known.

I don't know who you speak with or what they may say, but, with an absolute certainty, Marty has NEVER been quoted as saying he wasn't bringing in a backup out of concern for Jeff's phsyche. If you have heard a comment of that sort through others more in the know, it's another thing. I have frequently had the opportunity to chat with folks at the Park and with writers as well, and there are often things said that aren't printed for one reason or another. But, the reason they aren't printed is because they can't be verified as true, even in an opinion piece.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about getting anyone upset with your words. Just write them and let them fall out where they may. However, if you challenge others in the future to look something up, you have to be willing to do the same, else don't challenge smile.gif. I haven't really noticed anything you've said to be totally off base, so, why limit what you are saying because you took a little hammering for saying it in a way that was not taken as you had intended? Just write my friend. No worries.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

Shamaran,

Your orginal post created a thread that now has 30 responses. THAT'S A GOOD THING. No one is chastising you, nor should you apologize for posting your thoughts, opinions or facts here. You told us what you thought and we told you what we thought, some fact, some fiction, it doesn't matter. Please, don't change what you post because of the negative responses or difference in opinions. Say SCREW YOU not EXCUSE ME.

Peace.

------------------

As always, my opinions do not reflect the opinions of management and are based on ficticious opinions. Similarities to any opinion living or dead is completely unintentional.

Archived