Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What will Gibbs "new" offense look like?

Chrisbob74

Originally posted by Buddha

I'm simply looking forward to seeing COUNTER-TREY. Over and over and over and over and over again. Then topped off with a play action deep post to Coles or Gardner for a TD.

Thow in some 50 GUT and I think youre right.

I also think that he'll be using Betts and Canidate as a change of pace and to throw off the defense.

Originally posted by thinker

This was the total opposite of the fng. SS probably had one of the largest and most clever playbooks. But after about 4 games last year, teams had seen enough film to know what to do whenever we were in particular formations or situations. Plays are great only if the defense doesn't expect them and play to defeat that particular play.

Good post, thinker.

I would add that there is also an advantage in Gibbs utilizing an H-back/Roving TE instead: You never know whether it's a run or a pass, nor where the strength of the formation is. The H-back goes in motion, but he could hit any hole to block, back up the OT, or go out as a receiver. Plus, because he's there most of the time, you can't narrow down your play guesses as you could if he was a true FB in a power formation or a pro formation.

To answer the original question -- I think the "New Look" redskins will most likely borrow some concepts from the Rams. Gibbs hired Ernie Zampese as an offensive consultant, and that was a wise choice: Ernie Zampese is the one figure who has been with the Air Coryell offense through all of the years (Chargers 70's > Rams 80's> Cowboys 90's > Rams 2000's). As Gibbs is a Coryell disciple, who better to hire to catch him up on the latest developments?

I also think the borrowing a few things from the Rams 'finesse' running game will make sense with Portis: Get him into the open field quickly, instead of using him as a battering ram constantly.

Don't get me wrong, we'll see plenty of smashmouth and play-action, but I think Gibbs will borrow nuances of the Rams' playbook for a change of pace or to hit a big play.

Riggodrill makes a great point that Gibbs will get Portis to the outside as much as possible. He'll probably have Portis running more sweeps than any of his main running backs his first tenure. Look for Gibbs to utilize Portis' speed.

Thinker, you made a solid observation that Gibbs stays away from the shotgun. While this is true for most of his QB's like Theisman and Rypien, there were exceptions like Doug Williams who more than once worked from a shotgun. I do think that both Ramsey and Brunell will probably take 99.99% (if not 100%) of the snaps under center.

Look for Gibbs and Bugel to create great blocking angles for the offensive line to open up running lanes for Portis. Gibbs will attack create mismatches with the recievers and also with the blocking. He does both well.

But most importantly is not Gibb's gameplan before the game, but his altered gameplan after the half. Gibbs is legendary (probably the best ever) at making great halftime adjustments to his game plan. These adjustments are practical, effective and often lead to the nullification of any opponent's halftime lead.

I can envision taking all the old classics and blending it with the best of the new plays out there. The key being the personnel we have, being able to run the plays effectively.

Each game will be unique run to set up the pass, pass to set up the run. we now have the offense and coaching to make it look

goooooooodddddd!!!!:cheers:

Archived