Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What will Gibbs "new" offense look like?

Chrisbob74

I'm sure most posters here remember the last time Gibbs was here or if you were too young, have at least seen the tapes, so you will have an idea of what Gibbs' system was like back then.

What I'm wondering is what ideas and "wrinkles" Gibbs will be looking to add.

Gibbs will have seen the trends that have gone on in the NFL since he was last here and I'm sure he will look to include some of those things in his "new" offense.

One of the things I'll be interested to see is if Gibbs looks to add any aspects of the "West Coast Offense" into his offense. Of course, I'm not suggesting that Gibbs will go completely towards that style of play but I do think he will recognise that the WCO has become the most popular style of offense (with variations of course) in the NFL now and that the rule changes that have been implemented in the '90's that made contact/bumping on D less "aggressive" have allowed this style of offense to be effective.

Gibbs may take some of these aspects and add them to his offense, in his own style of course.

Also, what plays/ideas will Gibbs "pinch" from the Popgun N' Fun. I know one thing, he won't put the shotgun in his O, he hates it!!

I wouldn't mind seeing some use of the WR screen, it did become a bit predictable with Spurrier, who would go to the well once to often with it but it can be an effective play in the NFL, taking advatage of players like Coles natural ability to make things happen after the catch with their open field running ability.

Another thing to (maybe) look for will be if Gibbs (and Bugel) install any of the zone blocking schemes in the running game that Denver (and before them, Dallas) have used to great effect, especially with having a player (Portis) who has shown he can make things happen within that scheme. I don't mean this will be the end of "counter trey" or "50gut" but I wouldn't be surprised if our running game and blocking schemes showed more variation.

Gibbs is a master of adapting, he did it all throughout his first tenure here, I think he'll surprise us with some of the things he does this time!

Thoughts?

One thing you may see in light of the increased emphasis on the pass rush is Gibbs zeroing in on these fast ends like the Freak. Go at 'em directly. With Portis you have power coupled with tremendous speed. A very pointed attack. When he's down we get Rock Cartwright to bite him on the toe.

:eaglesuck :hump:

Originally posted by SKINZ_DOMIN8

Gibbs won't do anything drastically different......smash mouth football to set up the deep throw. That's what works in the NFC East.

:eaglesuck and always will.

I don't think he will do anything "drastically" different, I still expect to see many of the things he ran successfully during his last tenure, my point was he may steal little things from here and there that have become popular and proven throughout the league and add them in now and again.

Gibbs is a master at exploiting a mis-match, if he sees something from a certain offense that works well against a certain D he will find a way of incorparating it but just disguising it in a different formation or something.

One staple of Gibbs running game was motion.

He would send his team to the line in any given formation only to have the TE's, backs and WR's take turns going in motion before snapping the ball.

The idea was to keep the defense guessing and/or confused until it was too late. He will try to nullify the speed of the modern defense with the same techniques.

We can only hope Bugal can calm these bums down enough to make it work.

Oh, I have no doubt the motion and shifting will still be there. Gibbs likes the motion as it is the best way to tell if a D is in man-to-man or zone and he likes the shifts so he can confuse a D and change looks very quickly.

None of that will change, as I say, if he uses new things or adopts some things from differents O's around the league he will still dress them up in his style.

The beauty of Gibbs' offense was its very simple design and very complex look. You don't need 10,000 gadget plays, you just need for the defense to not know what play is coming and to get caught out of position. He really invented the multiple motion, shift, and formation looks that people use today. Every game there might be a new look. But from those different looks a fairly small number of basic plays were run.

As I recall, Gibbs might have relied generally only on about 10 different running plays with a greater number of passing plays. The problem for the defenses facing us was that they never could game plan us by looking at tendencies and formations to try to prevent our plays. From the motion, formation, and players on the field, the Skins could generally run any of their plays - that prevented defense from "cheating" to stop a play they thought was coming.

This was the total opposite of the fng. SS probably had one of the largest and most clever playbooks. But after about 4 games last year, teams had seen enough film to know what to do whenever we were in particular formations or situations. Plays are great only if the defense doesn't expect them and play to defeat that particular play.

Giibbs is more like a great pitcher in baseball. He may have 3 good pitches and can throw them at 2 different speeds and in a few different locations. But it's still just a fastball, slider, and curveball. Great hitters are often great because they anticipate the pitch. Largely they decide how to swing before the pitch is thrown. If you disguise the pitch and continually change your pattern, you'll get alot of batters out. I think football is, to some degree the same way, and Gibbs is the master at keeping the defenses guessing.

Bugel will bring in some great blocking schemes for Portis. Not much use of tight end/fullback in rushing/passing game. Portis using the blocks to gain big. Make teams afraid of the rush opening up the pass, full of short curl, slant, and screen passes. Just basically a lot of powerful conservative offensive football.

Gibbs is going to do whatever his personell is best suited to do. From the make-up of the offense right now I'd say there will be alot of pulling guards in the run game as it gives an additional hat at the point of attack and that is what Portis needs (I don't see him bowling over many LBs at 205). With our line being comprised of Samules, Jansen, Dockery (all road pavers), Thomas and maybe Raymer if he's healthy I'd say the strength of the offense is to run, run, run and set up our shots downfield to Coles or underneath to Gardner/ McCants. I don't think we'll be seeing a whole lot of wide-open, accelerator to the floor, three downs and score or three downs and out nonsense. IMHO.

What I'm looking forward to most is seeing a team that is well-prepared, that KNOWS its assignments and is able to execute them! We will not set any records for penalty yardage this year, and we should be competitive in every single game!

HAIL 'SKINS!

you won't see a re-run of the mid-1980's offense.

you will see a team that still focuses on protecting the qb and running the ball, but Brunell and Portis have physical skills that Gibbs has rarely had the luxury of being able to game plan for :D

I just hope the lineman will stay still and disciplined with the motion going on. all the flinching and jumping made me ill. I know alot of that was ramsey's audibles that spurrier had in his O, but sheesh...they were jumpy. Im sure Joe and the boys will have them mechanical discplined machines though, hopefully.

Archived