Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KFFL: NY Giants release Barrow!

SKINtil8tin

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/4590/115?PHPSESSID=384e87f0d4fb63d456fd3be467032b3e

EAST RUTHERFORD (Ticker) - The New York Giants completed the overhaul of their linebacking corps Wednesday as they released veteran Mike Barrow.

Barrow started all 16 games at middle linebacker last season and led the Giants with a career-high 177 tackles.

"Michael Barrow is a great person and has been an outstanding player here, one of the best free-agent signings we've had," Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi said. "But in this system, when a player's salary cap number is so high that it begins to strangle your opportunities to improve multiple areas of your team, it has come to this, as anyone can see by observing transactions in the league."

Last week, the Giants signed strongide linebacker Carlos Emmons, who was with Philadelphia. On Monday, they signed weakside linebacker Barrett Green, who had spent the last four seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles. They will replace Brandon Short, who remains unsigned, and Dhani Jones, who signed with Philadelphia on Tuesday.

Nick Greisen, who is entering his third season, will move into Barrow's position unless the Giants add another free agent.

The 6-2, 245-pound Barrow was signed by the Giants prior to the 2000 season, when the Giants won the NFC Championship before losing in the Super Bowl to the Baltimore Ravens. He started 62 games for the Giants, recording at least 100 tackles in each of the last three seasons.

Barrow, who turns 34 on April 18, has 1,219 tackles in 171 career games with Tennessee, Carolina and the Giants.

Okay Tom, where ever you are, i'm have to get off the comp for i beleive the rest of the night. So when i come back tomorrow, you gotta to fill me in on WTF R U PEOPLE THINKIN!!!!! I understand you bringing in Emmons, but what's your plan at linebacker seeing you'ver gotten rid of all of them? I'm being a lil sacastic, but jezz, do you really want Portis to be putting up career #s against ya'll? I do.

---------------------

0-16, 19-0, skins fan till i die!!!

Originally posted by JoeSkins

We cut Armstead, they cut Barrow....what's going on with the aging Miami LBs? At least Ray Lewis and Dan Morgan are on the right side of 30.

Both LB's had good seasons last year and can still play. The Giants don't look like they want Coughlin to last too long.

Guys, seriously, this is a good move for the Giants. Barrow was due to count $5.5 million against the cap. The Giants wanted him to take a big pay cut but he refused. They told him he would be cut if he didn't take a cut. They informed him yesterday he would be released.

And as far as their starting LB's from last year, they were nothing to write home about. I am pretty happy with the replacements so far. Now, whether or not I am completely happy will depend on who they get to replace Barrow.

The only one I am a bit disappointed about losing is Short. I still think he has a lot of potential. But Barrow is getting up there in years for a MLB. And Dhani Jones wanted more money than the Giants were willing to pay him. A lot of the Giants were also glad Jones was gone because they said he free lanced too much on the field.

The Giants are not getting worse. Coughlin is bringing in guys who want to work and who want to win. Not guys who strum guitars when they make a tackle while being down by 10 or more points. Which Dhani Jones did a few times last year.

Archived