Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

T.O. Update

Bazooka Tooth

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Confident their trade for Terrell Owens will stand up, the Baltimore Ravens waited patiently Monday for word from the NFL about his bid on behalf of the players' union to have the deal rescinded.

The Ravens obtained the four-time Pro Bowl receiver Thursday from the San Francisco 49ers for a 2004 second-round draft pick. Owens said he would not report to Baltimore, insisting that he intends to play for the Philadelphia Eagles.

But it seems Owens is himself beginning to acknowedge the likelihood that he'll be wearing purple when the season begins. Though he held true to his word and failed to report for his scheduled physical at the Ravens' team complex on Monday, the Ravens did not rescind the trade.

The Ravens, who have the option of waiving the physical, opted to postpone the examination pending formal confirmation of the trade.

"If it was a case where I would have to be there [with the Ravens], then I'll be there," Owens told WCAU-TV, the NBC affiliate in Philadelphia, over the weekend. "At the same time, I want to fight for my right to exercise the option in my contract."

Owens was denied free-agent status last month after he missed a deadline to void the final three seasons of his contract. His agent, David Joseph, filed a grievance with the NFL Management Council through the NFL Players Association.

Gene Upshaw, executive director of the Players Association, has asked the league to overturn the trade and have Owens' contract voided so he can be declared a free agent.

Upshaw said if the matter can't be resolved, the union will ask Stephen Burbank, who is in charge of settling disputes regarding the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, to have Owens' contract voided so he can be declared a free agent.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday that the league had been informed that Upshaw had decided to send the case to Burbank.

"This is a matter between the league and the union right now," Ravens spokesman Chad Steele said Monday. "We can't do anything until we hear back on the ruling."

A league source told The Baltimore Sun for Monday's editions that the union has little chance of succeeding in its efforts, since it will concede that Owens' agent made a mistake by missing the paperwork deadline to make Owens a free agent. The Ravens expect the matter to be cleared up by the end of the week and are certain that Owens will play for them this season. Judging by his comments over the weekend, Owens conceded that his next catch could be in Baltimore.

"I'm going to fight it to the end until I can't fight it anymore," Owens told WCAU-TV, the NBC affiliate in Philadelphia on Sunday night. "This is not to disrespect the Ravens organization by any means. I just want a fair shot at my free agency.

"If it comes down to the point where I can't win, I'll be a Raven."

The Eagles reportedly agreed to a contract with Owens that included a signing bonus worth about $10 million. But the 49ers were not interested in Philadelphia's offer for Owens: a fifth-round pick and wide receiver James Thrash.

The Eagles must also await the league's decision, but seem resigned to the idea that Owens will not be heading to Philadelphia any time soon.

"At this point, the league has approved the trade and Terrell is property of another team," Eagles president Joe Banner told the Philadelphia Inquirer on Sunday night. "Anything I might say is liable to get me in trouble at this point."

Owens caught 80 passes for 1,102 yards and nine touchdowns last season, his lowest totals since 1999. He is due to make $17.7 million in base salary over the next three seasons, including $5.3 million next year.

But the Ravens have said they are willing to rework the deal to bring his salary in line with some of the top receivers in the league.

Owens isn't all about talent, though. His departure from San Francisco came after repeated clashes with management and teammates, and his on-field touchdown antics include signing a football with a marker he carried in his sock, and an impromptu cheer with pom-pons he borrowed from a cheerleader.

I don't blame him at all. A team was willing to offer him a 10 mill SB. He wants to collect. I see him in Bmore with a new contract in the beginning of the season. Bmore I think as long as Lewis plays just took the division crown again.

exercise the option in my contract."

what option? You had the option to void the contract and become a FA, yet you and your agent were to dumb enough to file the proper paperwork.

"This is not to disrespect the Ravens organization by any means. I just want a fair shot at my free agency.

You had it, it was fully within your grasp.... all you had to do was file the paperwork by Feb 21st. So... because you're a star of the league the rules don't apply to you?

He acts as if he had no part in the misunderstanding and resulting situation. All of this could have been avoided and he'd have been a FA and able to sign with any team in the league..... yet he and his agent failed to do so. Typical of professional athletes.... as soon as things don't go their way it's suddenly someone else's fault.

What's the problem here? Ever heard of the saying..."you snooze you loose"? Now STFU and put on the purple!!!!!!

Originally posted by sjinhan

i think TO will end up being much happier in Bmore then he would have been in philly...

I dont care if he is happy. I would prefer him to be miserable. It would be payback for doing so much stupid $hit on my television after he scores a TD.

Philly is a terrible fit for TO, I agree. His tantrums will tear the team up. Unlike Baltimore, Philly, though a veteran team, doesn't yet have strong veteran leadership. And the fans will have him for lunch. It'll get fugly if they don't make the SB.

He wants to go to Philly and be the star of the show. You see, in B-more he'd have to share the limelight with Jamal Lewis and Todd Heap. In Philly, he'd be the savior on a horrible WR corp. Of course, he'd blow up by week eight at all the shoe top catches he'd have to make from McNabb.

From what I understand, TO's dead in the water. The notice regarding the filing deadline was sent out by mail according to the records (I can't remember what entity sends it out). Their records show it was mailed to both T.O. and his agent. From a legal standpoint, that established pretty conclusively that they received notice and as such, they sat on their rights.

Archived