portis

coles

brunnell

kearse??

top 5 pick

wynn

samuels

trotter

they all got whopping signing bonuses and huge huge deals--its like cedit card debt--you buy the product today but there will come a day when you are going to pay for running up the tab

make no mistake i like the deals--it enables us to maybe win --but we better win right now and not later--this team will be torn apart in 3 yrs with the deals dan is doing and we will be left with a shell of a team--

dont forget smoot and samuels are due new deals soon

spend now but pay later--we better get a sb trip or else all this great spending went for not

If we got rid of Chump, look for smooty to go when his deal comes up. Samuels can be replaced, just like in the Miami game last year. Wynn will be cut in a year or two, when it wont hurt as bad. Trotter, hmmm, tough to call, some say he should be cut now. I'm hoping he turns it around. Kearse, not sold on him, can find cheaper help,ie wistrom. Overall, players come, players go. Every year since Danny's been callling the shots you hear the doomsayers. Sure at some point, we're gonna have to make a tough decision, kind of like do we pay chump, or PORTIS???

Originally posted by carlsbadd

I could care less about the cap, I just want the Redskins to win. I am sick of not making the playoffs!

RIGHT ON BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The team was hit hard when Marty was there mainly because of Deion Sanders...he didn't play the two to three years we needed him to before it would have been easier to cut his ass...You basically need to get around three years on average from the guys you give big bonuses to and then it is easier to ditch them if they don't fit your plan. Deion was an example of what can happen when you overpay for an older player who may not give you those three years...Coles, Portis, Arrington, Trotter, Thomas, Jansen are all players who barring career ending injuries will give you the amount of years needed to manage their cap numbers.

The reason the Redskin's are the only team so obviously shelling out big money on free agents is that they are the only team, at the moment, with the resources and willingness to pay all of this SB money UPFRONT. Teams like Arizona and Indianapolis dont have the resources to pay out lump sums thus they give out larger yearly contracts. The only time a team dealing like the redskins can run into trouble is if several highly paid players are set to receive unfriendly cap numbers in the same year, Cutting 2 or 3 such players in one season would result in a large amount of dead cap space and an inability to upgrade the roster. Hopefully our FO is planning against this.

Originally posted by goldenster95

Oh Lord have mercy.

bsmsss, have you tried crunching the numbers to see whether this cap hell theory of yours pans out?

Do you realize and did it ever occur to you that when cutting someone, you've got to take in bonus acceleration AND salary cleared?

If we get rid of Wynn next year, we clear $1.7M in net cap space. If Trotter is gone next year, we clear $500K in cap room.

Jeez - us, folks, let's a clue here.

He's a gloom and doomer. Always has been. His nickname on the AOL boards is Dr. Gloom because he professes to be a doctor in real life.

LOL

Archived