portis

coles

brunnell

kearse??

top 5 pick

wynn

samuels

trotter

they all got whopping signing bonuses and huge huge deals--its like cedit card debt--you buy the product today but there will come a day when you are going to pay for running up the tab

make no mistake i like the deals--it enables us to maybe win --but we better win right now and not later--this team will be torn apart in 3 yrs with the deals dan is doing and we will be left with a shell of a team--

dont forget smoot and samuels are due new deals soon

spend now but pay later--we better get a sb trip or else all this great spending went for not

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

As Art and others have stated here before-- cash solves the cap. You can put off "cap hell" forever by re-structuring with special bonuses. We will never be in cap hell

Another way to look at it is some of the deals were put in place knowing that the last year or three would never be met.

Trotter is gone after next year most likely.

Same for Wynn, if not cut this year.

Brunnell's contract is a 2 year most likely, 3 years if he's phenomenal and earns it.

Samuels will have his deal redone or he will be let go as soon as there is a cap benefit from doing so. If he doesn't work with the team.... Just like Davis. And Champ.

Most of the deals were designed to be cap friendly early on and require restructuring later on.

Which is all fine as long as you don't get a serious injury causing someone to retire and being forced to take the massive cap hit at once.

when you are cut your signing bonus is prorated--that is what kills your cap

if trotter is cut his 7 mil signing bonus will be prorated and count around 3-4 mil in dead cap space

same for wynn and if brunnell is cut in 2-3 yrs his 9 mil bonus will be prorated and count like 4-5 mil of dead space

its the dead space cap killing that will cause a team to go into cap hell

if a player doesnt stay for the majority of his contract his huge signing bonus will come back to hurt big time

Originally posted by The Diesel

Is that how a signing bonus works? If you cut the player you have to pay the remainder that year? I always thought you could prorate it out the length of the contract. Can someone clarify?

From what I understand a signing bonus has its salary cap impact distributed equally throughout the length of the contract. However, upon being released the remaining balance of a signing bonus is accellerated into the salary cap year of the release. If the release date takes place after June 1, the salary cap acceleration is deferred until the following year.

Who cares about the doom and gloom in 3 years. It's been since 2000 that everyone been scared of the big bad cap. Players will be cut as needed when their salary's outmatch their cap cost. Players such as Trotter and Wynn being cut next year provide cap "RELIEF".

No reason to scare everyone over something that probably will not happen and not to the extent in which your trying to say.

Wynn only received around a 3.5 million bonus didn't he? therefore after this year its not going to hurt too much if he goes bye bye....maybe I have found an incorrect number for his bonus though.

As long as players play a couple of years and chip their bonuses down its not a big deal to cut somebody...especially after June 1st.

Oh Lord have mercy.

bsmsss, have you tried crunching the numbers to see whether this cap hell theory of yours pans out?

Do you realize and did it ever occur to you that when cutting someone, you've got to take in bonus acceleration AND salary cleared?

If we get rid of Wynn next year, we clear $1.7M in net cap space. If Trotter is gone next year, we clear $500K in cap room.

Jeez - us, folks, let's a clue here.

The salary cap can be manipulated...and despite what the media will say and other teams fans will say, Snyder has this thing pretty well figured out. Ever since Snyder has come on we've been told that we'd be in cap hell the following season...well its yet to materialize and at this point I'm not worrying about it.

Okay...for all of these "WE'LL BE IN CAP PURGATORY" posters...may I ask this question? Weren't we supposed be in cap hell right now after the splurge of signings with J. George, B. Smith, D. Sanders, and such??? Why were we able to sign R. Thomas, L. Coles last year and Portis.....Kearse (Maybe) and who knows who else this year? Maybe it's just me, but I just don't see why everyone is so uptight about signing Portis...Why all of the panic?

Originally posted by Conrad87

Okay...for all of these "WE'LL BE IN CAP PURGATORY" posters...may I ask this question? Weren't we supposed be in cap hell right now after the splurge of signings with J. George, B. Smith, D. Sanders, and such??? Why were we able to sign R. Thomas, L. Coles last year and Portis.....Kearse (Maybe) and who knows who else this year? Maybe it's just me, but I just don't see why everyone is so uptight about signing Portis...Why all of the panic?

We did fall into "cap purgatory" as a result of those signings. Remember when Marty came and cleaned house? The encouraging thing about that situation is that our FO has learned its lesson since then. We'll be fine.

just a reminded--we were in cap hell when marty became coach--we werent active in fa during his 1 yr-we had tons of dead cap space-he fixed the cap by cutting sanders etc etc--

rest assure its great to be postive and i hope we win a sb--but dont be fooled that our debt will not come due in time--it will

but if we get a super bowl trip its worth it--if not we will have regretted it

Originally posted by J33Edwards

The salary cap can be manipulated...and despite what the media will say and other teams fans will say, Snyder has this thing pretty well figured out. Ever since Snyder has come on we've been told that we'd be in cap hell the following season...well its yet to materialize and at this point I'm not worrying about it.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. No need to shut your eyes to the truth of what could happen down the road.

As soon as we started winning, you will see the media talking about the "Redskins Way" of managing the cap and free agency. It has not been successful yet due to injuries and/or poor coaching, but it will be, and then half the league is going to be structuring deals just like us.

Originally posted by Conrad87

That is exactly what I was thinking. everyone said after the 2000 season that by now we would have to blow the team up. Sure there will be cuts that the Redskins will have to make but that is the nature of the business.:silly: Maybe we need to give Dan and his people the credit that they deserve.:notworthy

:gaintsuck :eaglesuck :dallasuck :cheers:

You can sign a surprisingly large number of big dollar signing bonuses under the cap indefinitely. As others have stated, when a player plays out a MAJORITY of the years on his contract, the only cap hit is the remaining prorated portion of his bonus. BUT at the same time when you remove the cut player's base salary off the cap, that allows you to sign another big time FA with a large signing bonus, but low base salary that effectively takes up the cut player's base salary in the cap or less. But you do end up with some dead cap space due to prorated portion of the cut player's signing bonus that will be freed the next year. I've read somewhere that on average an NFL team has up to 20% of its cap space tied up in dead contracts. So this is something that everyone in the NFL plans for.

This cycle can go on infinitely as long as you plan well. Obviously if you hand out TOO MANY huge signing bonuses on a contract with too many years on it (thus increasing the likelyhood of a large cap hit when the player is cut), or you cut too many players with huge contracts in the same year and have young players needing huge pay raises that same year, then you will be in cap hell. But otherwise you can plan for constant, but systematic, signings and cutting of large salaried players.

just a reminded--we were in cap hell when marty became coach--we werent active in fa during his 1 yr-we had tons of dead cap space-he fixed the cap by cutting sanders etc etc--

I don't agree with this at all.

Marty came in and for the most part cleaned out dead weight. Deion retired, he wan NOT cut. His retirement forced us to take a larger cap hit that year than we ordinarily would have had he played out at least part of the contract.

The early retirement made his signing look extraordinarily stupid from a salary cap standpoint when in fact it should not have been that bad.

In addition to Deion I know we released Tre Johnson, Stubbefield, and Mark Carrier (and somebody help me here but I believe that Marco Coleman played with us that year and was not cut). Tre was hurt, Dana was a dead weight non factor, and Marc Carrier was suspended for the first four or five games of the season. Which one of those cuts reflected the onset of cap hell?

Cap hell, at least in my mind, is associated with painfull cuts of players that you would otherwise keep. Our inability or "decision" not to resign Brad Johnson that year may have reflected that. However I think you could probably argue that he was not resigned do to his ineffectiveness throughout the 2000 season. I wasn't sorry to see him go at the time although in hind sight we would have been a lot better off with him under center than anyone during SS's first year and during Martys tenure.

Anyway we were tight up against the cap that year but it was hardly cap hell.

Yeah they said on ESPN News that we wont be in cap hell. Because if you sign guys to long term deals with big signing bonus's then that solves everything. Apparently you can aviod cap hell while still signing many stars if you do that. They just said you have to have an owner that will do it, and we do!

Archived