Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN:Cowboys score as an asset/Value of the team is six times what Jones paid for it

TK

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/022504dnbusjerryjones.7628.html

Cowboys score as an asset

Value of the team is six times what Jones paid for it 15 years ago

08:37 PM CST on Tuesday, February 24, 2004

By KATIE FAIRBANK / The Dallas Morning News

It's been 15 years today since Jerry Jones leveraged his holdings to buy the Dallas Cowboys for $140 million.

According to Forbes magazine, the team's value has increased to $851 million, more than six times what Mr. Jones, a former oil and gas wildcatter, paid for it.

Even the estimated annual revenue of $198 million is an increase of more than 40 percent over the team's original cost.

"It's pretty much a wild guess since there are so few transactions of the best teams that command the most money. I doubt it would be worth as little as $500 million. I doubt it would be as much as billion," said Roger Noll, an economist at Stanford University.

While those numbers may seem gigantic to the average fan, if Mr. Jones had put his money into the right stocks during the go-go '90s, he could have done nearly as well.

"He's done better than an investment in the stock market, but not wildly better," Dr. Noll said.

Actually, owning any National Football League team has been a good way for rich folks to get richer.

Forbes says franchise values rose to an average $628 million, and things are looking up since television ratings are still great and salaries are capped.

Mr. Jones has parlayed the Cowboys into possibly the most important football team in the nation.

Super Bowl victories in 1993, 1994 and 1996 cemented Dallas as "America's Team," bringing in fans and advertising dollars.

Pepsi alone is paying about $20 million over 10 years to sponsor the Cowboys.

As owner, president and general manager, Mr. Jones has kept the team all in the family.

Son Stephen is chief operating officer, son Jerry Jones Jr. is chief sales and marketing officer, and daughter Charlotte Anderson is vice president of charities and special events.

And while it's unlikely that Mr. Jones will put the Cowboys on the market, he could expect a great return on his investment if he did.

Experts say only the Washington Redskins would bring in more money – and even that's up for debate.

hey tenaciousd, i don't know how to quote here . As much as i'd like redksins to be most valuable, i do for some reason recall a rupert murdoch trying to buy manu for a billion, look at article below:

i could be wrong, but manU has been #1 for a really really long time.

ok edit time, this article is 2 years old and shows redskins to be the neck and neck w/manU, but 2 years old!

http://www.forbes.com/global/2002/0708/043.html

Search the Washington Post news archives. The article is from last year. The Washington Redskins, in large part to wholly owning their stadium (worth almost $800 million), are the most valuable sports franchise in the world. Man U is second.

By the way, to quote, you just use the "quote" button at the upper right of the post you want to quote.

The Skins are worth 1.5 billion, and this valuation is before Gibbs came back. Manchester United is publicly traded and it's stock reached 1 billion at one point when Murdoch tried to buy them, they are worth around $800 million normally. Here is the link to the Redskins valuation from last summer:

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/stories/2003/08/25/story8.html

The Washington Redskins and their stadium, FedEx Field in Landover, are valued at up to $1.5 billion as part of owner Daniel Snyder's pending sale of a minority stake in his football enterprise, NFL and financial sources said.

It marks the first time in U.S. sports that a team business has ever topped the $1 billion threshold.

Snyder is selling just over one-fifth of his team for $200 million to three new investors, and because the new Redskins stakeholders will not receive voting shares or any control of the team, they paid a discounted amount.

In other words, the $1.3 billion to $1.5 billion price tag placed on the franchise by its financial adviser, Banc of America Securities, reflected the team's value in the event of a change-of-control sale, the sources said....

Archived