Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Celzic: Trade Bad for Denver

StevieInferior

COMMENTARY

By Mike Celizic

NBCSports.com contributor

Updated: 11:28 p.m. ET Feb. 23, 2004Mike Shanahan has the right idea. In today’s NFL, a great defense is more important than a great running back. But, if he’s serious about trading Clinton Portis for Champ Bailey, he’s going about correcting his team’s problems in the worst possible way.

advertisement

Shanahan’s first clue — if published reports about the deal are true — should be Washington’s apparent eagerness to get out from under Bailey’s franchise-player salary. Not only are the Redskins said to be considering trading an established All-Pro defensive player for a young All-Pro running back who is of marginal size and questionable durability, they’re also willing to give Denver a second-round draft pick to make it happen.

Shanahan has been around the league for a long time, but, in comparison to Redskins coach Joe Gibbs, the Denver coach just fell off the turnip truck. Gibbs is an unquestioned master builder and coach who won three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks in his first pass through the NFL. Shanahan has two Lombardi Trophies, but he hasn’t been nearly as smart at any phase of the game as he was when he had John Elway to do the winning for him.

If I were Shanahan, and Gibbs called with this deal, I might gingerly poke at it from behind a blast-proof shield, but that’s as close as I’d come. Then I’d look elsewhere for the defensive help my team so clearly needs.

The salaries alone should be enough to give the Broncos pause. Bailey is a franchise player and carries a price tag of nearly $7 million against the salary cap. Even for a cornerback who’s started 64 straight games and gone to three straight Pro Bowls, that’s a lot of money, enough for three good players.

Portis, on the other hand, made just $300,000 last year, a break-out season in which he finished a first down short of 1,600 yards despite three games with injuries. He’s unhappy with his salary, which is chump change for a back of his talents, and he’s said so. The Redskins would be more than happy to give him a big raise and still have four or five million left over from what they’re saving by moving Bailey to buy some more help.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4356287/

Again another sportswriter that does not understand a thing.

Portis is small and not sturdy enough? He's missed 3 games in 3 years.

Bailey will cost 7 million? Where is this coming from,we have no clue what Bailey is going to sign for or how the contract is structured.

I could have done a better job than this clown.

The problem is, Shanahan has already made the HUGE mistake of franchising Al Wilson. They need secondary help in the worst way. The emergence of Bert Berry to go along with Trevor Pryce and the play of their linebackers helped cover some of the secondary deficiencies last year.

Why was franchising Wilson a mistake? Finding linebackers has been like finding running backs for the Broncos. They have a knack for it. What they DON'T do well is build a secondary. Champ Bailey would help take care of that problem.

Behind a pretty good offensive line, the tandem of Mike Anderson and company could probably run for 1200-1400 yards. Although Anderson and Quentin Griffin only averaged 3.7 yards per carry last season, moving Anderson from fullback BACK to tailback and splitting time with Griffin would probably help raise that average.

The Broncos don't necessarily need Clinton Portis to make the playoffs but they desparately need a better defensive backfield to get there.

From the Broncos' standpoint, this is a no-brainer. From the Skins' standpoint, only a straight up trade should be acceptable. Unfortunately, Shanahan has a reputation for being greedy. With Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson and Olandis Gary ridiculously sharing RB roster spots, Shanahan was adamant that he had to have a first round pick for Gary. He passed up a trade offer for a 2nd round pick that was in the top 10 of the round and held onto Gary. Gary ended up signing with Buffalo as a free agent before being traded to Detroit. I just hope the Skins don't give into that greed.

Originally posted by carlsbadd

Again another sportswriter that does not understand a thing.

Portis is small and not sturdy enough? He's missed 3 games in 3 years.

Bailey will cost 7 million? Where is this coming from,we have no clue what Bailey is going to sign for or how the contract is structured.

I could have done a better job than this clown.

Dude...

You should check yourself before you comment that another sportswriter doesn't understand a thing, and then proceed to say that a second year player has missed three games in three years.

/just sayin'

Originally posted by Jimbo

The problem is, Shanahan has already made the HUGE mistake of franchising Al Wilson. They need secondary help in the worst way. The emergence of Bert Berry to go along with Trevor Pryce and the play of their linebackers helped cover some of the secondary deficiencies last year.

Why was franchising Wilson a mistake? Finding linebackers has been like finding running backs for the Broncos. They have a knack for it. What they DON'T do well is build a secondary. Champ Bailey would help take care of that problem.

I totally disagree with your take on franchising Al Wilson. Not to mention, we are reportedly close to a deal on him. The franchise tag is just a safety net to protect Wilson, who is the heart and soul of our defense, from leaving.

Players like Wilson don't come along every day. We lost BOTH Mobley AND Gold in the season, and barely missed a step playing inexperienced linebackers because of the amazing leadership of Al Wilson. He's even more amazing when he's got his wingmen around him.

Originally posted by Taco John

Dude...

You should check yourself before you comment that another sportswriter doesn't understand a thing, and then proceed to say that a second year player has missed three games in three years.

/just sayin'

Not if you count his college play before he came to the pro's.

I didn't say pro career did I ?

Ok you got me on that:laugh:

I still think it's somewhat BS to say that Portis is a injury waiting to happen or that he knows what Bailey will cost in terms of cap space.

Not only are the Redskins said to be considering trading an established All-Pro defensive player for a young All-Pro running back who is of marginal size and questionable durability, they’re also willing to give Denver a second-round draft pick to make it happen.

He isn't the only one who thinks that way.

Hopefully we dont become snakebit like the bullets or magic.

"Not only are the Redskins said to be considering trading an established All-Pro defensive player for a young All-Pro running back who is of marginal size and questionable durability, they’re also willing to give Denver a second-round draft pick to make it happen."

Is it remotely possible that the Redskins are willing to do this deal because they have observed first-hand that Mr. Bailey's play does not match his reputation?

I wish we could ve signed him a couple of years ago and he wasnt disillusioned by the coaching merrygoround but thats not the case now.

His reputation is deserved because everyone above the 5 watt lightbulb range knows if he and Smoot played on a team with something called a pass rush he'd be even more scary.

Put any other set of corners on this team last year with Edwards playcalling(?) and see how much they suck if they covered receivers for 4 to 8 secs.

Archived