wouldn't need to be there today. But, hey? if you have now learned how to

speak out so loudly and clearly I'll gladly pay your way back to Iraq so

you can straighten out the mess you are obviously here to avoid."

Everyone in line, and within hearing distance, cheered the older

gentleman, coming forward as they reached for their wallets. The woman in

the burkha left the store in silence.

I am, like at least some that were in the store, outraged! But it also

warmed my heart to know that we, as American's, are speaking out, calmly

and succinctly (finally) to those that enjoy the freedoms here in the US.

but who complain and berate the very government (and the people) that

protect those very freedoms.

Hooray for Rea's son; Hooray for that checker; Hooray for the gentleman in

the store for his actions; Hooray for Rea for sharing this with all of us.

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

This is all over the Internet. I can't find a credible source or the author of the article, though. Can you?

In addition, Iraqi women generally wear hijabs, not burqas.

I'm almost sure that it's an urban legend devised to stir up patriotism and discrimination against Muslims.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion! IF any one gets discrimanated it's Christians:2cents:

This is all over the Internet. I can't find a credible source or the author of the article, though. Can you?

In addition, Iraqi women generally wear hijabs, not burqas.

I'm almost sure that it's an urban legend devised to stir up patriotism and discrimination against Muslims.

To "stir up patriotism"? Sure. Probably. But to state that this is just an attempt to discriminate against Muslims is crazy. Which group comprises the majority of Iraq? Muslims, of course.

Originally posted by OaktonSkinsFan

To "stir up patriotism"? Sure. Probably. But to state that this is just an attempt to discriminate against Muslims is crazy. Which group comprises the majority of Iraq? Muslims, of course.

I'm referring to the fact that it's a (probably fabricated) story that involves a Muslim woman wearing a burqa being told off by a proud citizen of our great nation because of her wrongheaded criticism of our foreign policies. I'm not really sure what your comment has to do with that.

I'm referring to the fact that it's a (probably fabricated) story that involves a Muslim woman wearing a burqa being told off by a proud citizen of our great nation because of her wrongheaded criticism of our foreign policies. I'm not really sure what your comment has to do with that.

Use your imagination and pretend for a moment that Iraq was some other nation. The Muslim woman, then, would be replaced with somoene else representing that nation. She would be, let's say, a Canadian woman. :laugh:

Originally posted by OaktonSkinsFan

Use your imagination and pretend for a moment that Iraq was some other nation. The Muslim woman, then, would be replaced with somoene else representing that nation. She would be, let's say, a Canadian woman. :laugh:

Right, gotcha, but why include the physical description of the woman at all (and especially have such a striking image of a woman in a burqa, which is mostly not used in Iraq)? Why not have it be a liberal or a Communist or just a plain ol' Iraqi? It's all about the inclusion of the physical description. If it had been a Canadian dude, would we have said "guy in khaki pants"?

It's the fact that there's a very easily recognizable image that's being produced--one that doesn't even represent the people of the region in question--that leads me to believe that part of the article's intent is to stir up hatred for the "other." Patriotism is much more easily riled up when the enemy has an identifiable, and alien, face.

Right, gotcha, but why include the physical description of the woman at all (and especially have such a striking image of a woman in a burqa, which is mostly not used in Iraq)?

I understand what you're saying now. But honestly, so much of the footage and pictures that I see out of Iraq do show women in the burqa. Sorry, I just think it's a stretch to assume that the author's, at least partial, intention was to be discriminatory.

I'm agreeing with Ancal on this one.

I've heard it too many times and Iraqi women DEFINITELY don't wear Burqas. IN fact, many of them don't wear hijabs or ANYTHING.

Also, lots of Iraqis were grateful for what was happening there and in the streets of Dearborn and other places.

Also, I've not yet run into too many loudmouth Muslims, especially women who would say such things, even if they thought them.

No offense intended, but that tends to be the purview of angry white leftists, angry black leftists and angry white racists---and women. lol

I'm cool with Christians as long as they don't call me crazy while they're at the controls of airliners. :)

Have the Christians done that yet??? Have the Christian(except for an exceptional few) done suiside bombomings! This happens every day by a PEACEFULL :rolleyes: religion like Islam! You Know who will win in the end and they sure don't come from the Middle East.:shot: :asta:

Archived