Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mark Brunell - What the Florida & Dallas newspapers are saying

Brunell trade rumors soar

Jaguars may get draft pick for veteran quarterback

By BART HUBBUCH - The Times-Union

Mark Brunell suddenly is a very popular man around the NFL.

So popular, in fact, that the Jaguars now think they can get a second-round draft pick -- or perhaps higher -- for their veteran quarterback instead of releasing him later this month.

ESPN.com reported Saturday that the Jaguars are close to dealing Brunell to the Washington Redskins, perhaps for the Redskins' second-round pick (41st overall) in the April 24-25 NFL Draft. New Redskins coach Joe Gibbs is expected to travel to Florida to meet with Brunell on Monday, the Times-Union has learned.

Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio, however said Saturday that the Redskins are one of several teams that called recently about trading for Brunell instead of waiting for Jacksonville to release the 33-year-old former starter next month.

San Diego, Miami and Dallas have joined Washington in discussing a first-day pick with the Jaguars for Brunell, according to a league source who did not want to be named because of NFL tampering rules.

The Chargers have the third pick in the second round (35th overall), six spots higher than the Redskins. The Jaguars already have the seventh choice in the second round (39th overall).

"There are a lot of teams that are serious about acquiring [brunell] and not waiting for him to be released,'' Del Rio said Saturday. "From what I understand, our phone has been pretty busy. There's a lot of interest.''

Del Rio said the Jaguars also have fielded a handful of recent trade offers for backup quarterback David Garrard, including one for a second-round pick. But Del Rio said the team has no plans to deal Garrard, a third-year pro who he said provides vital insurance for starter Byron Leftwich.

"Garrard is going to be a Jaguar next season,'' Del Rio said.

Brunell was out of town on Saturday, and his agent, Leigh Steinberg, was not available for comment.

Brunell started 117 regular-season games in nine years as the Jaguars' starter, twice leading them to the AFC Championship Game, before injuring his left (throwing) elbow last September and being replaced by Leftwich for the rest of the season.

The Jaguars' plan since December was to release Brunell before March 1, when he was due a $2 million bonus. By cutting or trading Brunell, the team will clear $8.5 million under the 2004 salary cap, with the only Brunell-related cap charge being the $2 million prorated portion of his signing bonus.

Del Rio said the Jaguars have been heartened by the recent interest in Brunell, and hold out some hope of a landing a first-round pick for him.

Brunell is the ninth-highest rated passer in NFL history. But he's 19-30 as a starter the past four seasons, and has suffered two serious concussions since September 2001.

NFL scouts and general managers still consider Brunell one of the top available quarterbacks in this year's market, especially by teams unhappy with their current starters.

Brunell, who said he intends to retire in Jacksonville, has said he wants to continue his playing career in Florida but is interested most of all in being a starter again. Steinberg said this week that Brunell's first choice as an unrestricted free agent would be the Dolphins.

Asked if the team was now confident it could trade Brunell instead of releasing him with nothing in return, Del Rio said, "We're not confident of anything at this point.''

But, Del Rio added, "It's an encouraging situation.''

If Gibbs is flying to Florida to talk to Brunell, you can be sure the Skins and Gibbs are very serious about acquiring him.

And if we have to trade our 2nd round draft pick to acquire him, it almost guarantees that the Skins will be moving down from the #5 spot in the 1st round to maybe the #9 spot to recover a 2nd round pick. :)

More then likely we will drop down to the #10 in a trade with Houston, and acquire their 2nd and maybe a 6th round pick. :)

I hope Miami outbids us, if we have to go higher than next years #4.

He was outplayed by a rookie in '03:laugh:

I just know I'm not going to like this scenario, if Brunell lands with our Redskins.;)

Unless he takes us to the NFC title game and wins or BARELY

misses:rotflmao: :pint::cheers:

Either Gibbs is going to trade down or do what i've been saying all along: to hell with the draft! Fill all our holes in FA and sign Sean Taylor! Sorry ya'll but i'd take Vets over rookies any day of the year.

--------------------------------------

0-16, 19-0, skins fan till i die!!!

Originally posted by Joey T

I hope Miami outbids us,

He was outplayed by a rookie in '03 :laugh:

Miami wants Brunell, but they will use their #1 draft pick to choose QB Philip Rivers who they are equally high on.

Brunell was not outplayed by Leftwich. Brunell got hurt; Jacksonville's seaons was shot anyway; and with Leftwich the QB of their future, he replaced Brunell.

Gibbs knows what he is doing, guys. :)

Joey T..........I don't necessarily think it was a case of Brunell being outplayed by Leftwich a season ago. I think it was more a case of the organization taking "The Future Is Now" philosphy. They knew that Brunell wasn't going to be there come next season, and with the team not expected to make a playoff push it would be wise to get Leftwich some valuable playing time and experience.

With that being said, I understand and share your disappointment in the situation. But, we aren't football experts as much as we might want to believe we are. Joe Gibbs is coach of the Washington Redskins for a reason. Let's give the organization the benefit of the doubt, and hope they make both you and I look like the biggest fools of all-time.

If the Skins acquire Brunell -- which I think will happen -- what is going to be interesting and revealing here, is Brunell's new Redskins contract which he will have to sign.

If Brunell was cut before March 1st, he was going to be out the $2 million roster bonus from Jacksonville. The Skins will probably guarantee that now and maybe more, although it will be deferred.

But what are the Skins going to offer Brunell? Is Brunell going to get a $1-2 million contract commensurate with that of a backup salary, or are the Skins going to pay him $5 million a year, the salary of a starter? :rolleyes:

The salary that Brunell is offered should be very revealing, as to whether Gibbs considers him a backup or a starter. :rolleyes:

This is the latest that I dug up this morning from the Dallas Morning News. Their reporters are running an Associated Press release below. It would appear that Dallas is not one of the main suitors for Brunell. :)

Source: Redskins among those pursuing Brunell trade

02:03 AM CST on Sunday, February 8, 2004

Associated Press

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Washington Redskins are one of a handful of teams that have approached the Jacksonville Jaguars about trading for Mark Brunell, a source told The Associated Press on Saturday.

A source close to the Jaguars, who requested anonymity, told The AP that the Redskins might be willing to part with a draft pick to sign Brunell, thus avoiding a bidding war that could ensue if Brunell were released and put on the free-agent market.

The 33-year-old quarterback still officially has a year left on his contract, but he will not play for the team next season. Jacksonville chose Byron Leftwich in last year's draft and he probably will be the starter. Brunell will either be traded or released later this winter.

ESPN.com reported that principle parameters of a trade with the Redskins have been completed, but details are still being worked out. February is a no-trade period for the NFL, so any deal would have to be completed in March.

Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio said several teams have shown interest in acquiring Brunell since it became known during the season that the Jaguars would be letting him go.

"I'd be shocked if there was anything imminent," Del Rio said.

The Miami Dolphins were thought to be among Brunell's main pursuers.

The source said any trade would almost certainly be contingent upon Brunell agreeing to a new contract with the team that acquires him.

Brunell has made it clear he wants to go to a place where he can start. The Redskins chose Patrick Ramsey in the first round of the draft two years ago, and Ramsey started 11 games last season.

Brunell has started 117 games for Jacksonville since the team's inaugural season in 1995, throwing for 25,698 yards and 144 touchdowns. He made three starts last year before Leftwich took over.

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

T

The source said any trade would almost certainly be contingent upon Brunell agreeing to a new contract with the team that acquires him.

Brunell has made it clear he wants to go to a place where he can start. The Redskins chose Patrick Ramsey in the first round of the draft two years ago, and Ramsey started 11 games last season.

This is really the meat of it when you boil it alll down.

If Gibbs is flying to Florida to talk to Brunell, you can be sure the Skins and Gibbs are very serious about acquiring him.

I HIGHLY doubt that Gibbs flew down to Florida just to see Brunell.

It was a case of good timing. They had a race last night at Daytona AND the big one is next weekend. I'd say Gibbs is going down there to see that since he won't be able to once the really busy part of football starts up.

So since he will be in the neighborhood so to speak.....

Archived