DT Culpepper, Brad Chicago

DT Evans, Josh Tennessee

DT Farr, D'Marco St. Louis

DT Grasmanis, Paul Philadelphia

DT Halapin, Mike New Orleans

DT Hennings, Chad Dallas

DT Lodish, Mike Denver

DT Logan, Ernie NY Jets

These are the players that I found available at TSN. I think that I see a few names in here that could probably help out a little. I gues I'm just a little too lazy to go and do the scouting reports on these people. But I Think that If we can sign one of these guys at DT, then our line can be at least solid.

Cannida, seems to be a "safe" choice if he has playing time of significance beside Warren Sapp. IMO this would mean that he has some intangibles to occupy the offensive lineman long enough for someone like Big Daddy to make the play should they adjust a scheme to Cannida. When Big Daddy is doubled will Cannida break free is the question. He should, because the other lineman and TE will have Bruce Smith and Marco Coleman to contend with, if not a Blitzing Lavar Arrington,as well.

Cortez Kennedy is done, no??? What an aid that would have been. Josh Evans at Tennessee - don't know the story except money, and the same with D'Marco Farr - didn't somebody already pick him up.

I don't think that list is up to date. I thought I saw where Nolan Harrison (who appears twice) has signed with another team.

But, blakman, you make a good point. Now if we had a list of FA safeties and running backs, we could probably find several players who could help the team.

This is the problem I have with everybody who thinks Deion will play for the Skins this year. Even if we don't need his 3.5 mil in cap dollars to sign our rookies, those dollars should be able to buy three good players at 1 mil + each.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd gladly trade Deion for a solid DT, safety and running back. Even if the right players aren't available now, they may come available during preseason. And if Marty keeps Deion and passes on those good players I'll really wonder about him.

Okay, I been lookin some stuff up and one guy that intrigues me is Paul Grasmanis from Philadelphia. I think KFFL said that we tried to sign him earlier in the offseason, but Philly had the right to first refusal and exercised it. And i dont know if he is still free as of right now, but for some reason he's on the listing of Free Agents at The Sporting News. I know its a contradiction, but I'm just hoping that he's still avaliable.

This is what the NFLDigest had to say about him:

Strong, physical tackle who plays the run well...Aggressive...Shows some explosiveness...Plays well at the point of attack...Solid backup as a run down player.

I'm thinking that with him, Monds and Lang in there at the spot next to Wilkinson . . . we can have a decent set of tackles.

Plus if somebody gets injured, especially Wilkinson, we are dead. I think a few guys like Mike Lodish and Ty Parten. I dont know much about them but NFLDigest had some decent remarks.

Lodish, Mike Denver Broncos 6-3 280

Great motor player who lacks good size and strength...Plays with savvy...Overachiever is a great label for him...Decent interior reserve as long as you limit his snaps, but is likely at the end of his career.

Parten, Ty Kansas City Chiefs 6-5 295

Above average run defender who plays hard, but has limitations that prevent him from developing further...Clogs gaps...Gets knocked off balanced too often...Gets tied up to blockers...Decent reserve type who wears down quickly.

If any of these guys are available at the start of camp, I say we sign them so that we can at least have some competition during camp, and not be waiting until the end of camp for some players to be released.

None of the above for the time being. The most these guys are going to receive is the vet minimum and except for actually playing in NFL games I don't see that much upside compared to the guys we already have.

What I'm saying is why pay more for probably the same result? We probably bring some in for camp fodder but

I see none on the list to give wood.

------------------

Dave

I agree with the wait till camp crowd. Marty is obviously playing close to the vest with neion and I can applaud the fiscal responsibility of keeping him another year and pushing back the cap hit over 2002 and 2003 which I read was a consideration in the WashPost. Sticky problem as you really don't have a lot of DT depth beyond the starters.

My guys loaded up on low rounders (3) at DT and the Mississipi conection may pan out one player yet. Our good news is Myers and Noble have both been hiting the weight room to the point where Noble is a legitimate 300lber and Myers is a 290lber. They can line up with Underdog and which ever of Blades, Nix are healthy. Dallas also hooked a bunch of the unsigned FAs and NFLEs which are exempt from the 80 player cut off date of 7/21.

I think we all too easily forget that we're not really aiming for the Super Bowl this year. I vote for signing our draft picks, seeing how our young guys do through camp and resolving the Deion situation before we worry about signing FA's during/after camp at the D-line position. Frankly, there's nobody out there in FA who sweep me off my feet to address our D-line issues.

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

not aiming for the superbowl? I thought thats what we're always aiming for. I think that we're only a few players away, and when the Deion situation is handled, we will have about 3.5 mil to spend. I say we use that to get some stopgaps in there to help out in our need positions.

I disagree. Why can't we be shooting for the SuperBowl? The midgets made it last year and don't even say they had a great talent base.

If we are lucky to be as healthy as the Giants were last year we are going deep in the playoffs.

Slimetime could be cut prior to June 1 2k2 to take the Cap hit for that season and have the money for our potential free agents in 2k3

------------------

Dave

OK, let's get real here. Our posters' recent estimates on the team's performance this season range between 7-9 or so on the pessimistic side, to 11-5 and 12-4 on the really optimistic side. Most people, me included, believe the team will go 9-7, maybe 10-6 if they catch a few breaks, and the playoffs as a wild card. While we all love the 'Skins, that's just not the same thing as predicting that they're a Super Bowl team. Sure, in the topsy-turvy NFL, where the Falcons, Rams, Giants, et al can turn it around in one year and go from mediocre or even poor to champions, anything can happen. But you'll all have to agree, there are some other NFC teams that have positioned themselves better to make a run for the Super Bowl this year than the Redskins have. That's why I'm saying that we're not really a Super Bowl team (yet).

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

but redman, you have to also agree that all those teams have problems and holes to fill. Not to mention the injury bug that hit us last year when we were supposed to be the great superbowl team. I mean, last year, we were a superbowl quality team who went 8-8. I dont see the losses of the offseason as too big that they can change us from that superbowl standing that we had last year. And then when you couple that with the fact that we have the league's easiest schedule and one of the best coaches in the league, and it looks like a storybook year. I do see the possibility of us going 9-7 or so, but thats the pessimistic side of me. I think that this team it way too talented and will be too motivated to be kept out of the playoffs.

but of corse, that's just my opinion and it aint worth anything.

I don't think anyne wants to predict a Super Bowl for this team right now. Most optimists have put us in the playoffs but not advancing very far. Pessimists have us below .500. From that you could say that the consensus is that don't look like a Super Bowl team at this point.

That being said, Washington's AIM should always be the Super Bowl. Ultimately, that's every team's goal every year isn't it?

You said what I wanted to say better than I did, Brave. There's a difference between the way I want my team to compete and prepare mentally (always as if they're the best team in the league) versus what I as an outsider objectively expect them to do. I love Schotty because he's going to max out the performance level of the talent on the team, something that's been gone since Gibbs left. But that's a different thing entirely from saying that the talent level is among, say, the top four in the league. Maybe next year, but not this year.

------------------

Archived