Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Look ahead: 2005 base salary chart

Buddha

For all the talk about how Washington is going to be in cap hell pretty soon it is pretty amazing to see how good of a job Washington has really done managing the cap.

The only thing that concerns me is Andre Lotts signing bonus. You seriously have to question what Snyder was thinking:

FS/CB 34 Andre Lott $106500K

:laugh:

How does it work if a player retires? I noticed that B. Smith is still under contract. What if he does decide to retire? The same thing is happening with Keith Hamilton so I'm curious. Do you get all the money back including the SB? Or do you have to pay the full signing bonus money even to a retiree? This is the one thing about the cap I've never gotten straightened out.

Our salary cap is friendly and just like Synder said, should allow this team to keep its young, talented players for a 3-4 year span. That is why I think FA will involve more of what we saw last year--big signing bonuses for young players just hitting their prime, i.e. Coles, Morton, Thomas, etc.

Salary cap cuts will include Moore and Dalton probably. Trotter and Armstead should stay.

We are blessed that we don't have a lot of money tied up in QB and RB slots.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

How does it work if a player retires? I noticed that B. Smith is still under contract. What if he does decide to retire? The same thing is happening with Keith Hamilton so I'm curious. Do you get all the money back including the SB? Or do you have to pay the full signing bonus money even to a retiree? This is the one thing about the cap I've never gotten straightened out.

I'm a little fuzzy on the rule as well, but I believe the cap hit would be charged the same as if the player was released. Now as for Bruce (and Bryan Barker), both players are in the final year of their contracts. The cap hit would be the same if they retire or are released.

Originally posted by Buddha

Here's a chart I've put together of 2005 base salaries for players that are currently under contract. It does not include any of our unrestricted/restricted/exclusive rights free agents this year (e.g., Champ & Darkerian).

Buddha, all of us really appreciate the work that you have done on the Redskin salaries, but I see that your numbers for Arrington add up to $23.62M in salary and a $20M SB, for a total of $43.62M over the next 8 years. Is there some other salary or bonus money missing? I thought his new contract was for $75M.

The cap hit over the life of the contract is given by Warpath Insiders as follows:

2004 5.631

2005 5.636

2006 12.414

2007 6.533

2008 9.133

2009 11.783

2010 11.400

2011 13.000

Total 75.530

A press release I found said that the total bonuses were $26M. The extra $6M is apparently for bonuses previously earned but not paid out yet.

Shouldn't the total cap hit over the life of the contract equal the total salary and bonuses paid out?

Couple things come to mind:

1 the biggest bargains on the roster are Ramsey, Gardner and Rock.

2. We have to make a decision on Gardner, since next year he becomes a UFA.

3. Its amazing how much less we re paying players we drafted in the latter part of the first round (Ramsey) and in the second round (Jacobs) as compared to top ten picks.

Makes you wonder if we should trade down for a more cap friendly salary.

Originally posted by MidPennSkin

Buddha, all of us really appreciate the work that you have done on the Redskin salaries, but I see that your numbers for Arrington add up to $23.62M in salary and a $20M SB, for a total of $43.62M over the next 8 years. Is there some other salary or bonus money missing? I thought his new contract was for $75M.

The cap hit over the life of the contract is given by Warpath Insiders as follows:

2004 5.631

2005 5.636

2006 12.414

2007 6.533

2008 9.133

2009 11.783

2010 11.400

2011 13.000

Total 75.530

A press release I found said that the total bonuses were $26M. The extra $6M is apparently for bonuses previously earned but not paid out yet.

Shouldn't the total cap hit over the life of the contract equal the total salary and bonuses paid out?

Not necessarily.

The chart I prepared doesn't show cap hits for each player, it simply lists the base salary numbers for each player along with the publicized signing bonus amount. What is missing are unpublicized roster bonuses, incentives, and salary escalators that fill in the gaps between what is and is not announced about the contract. This is why there have been so many discrepancies about the overall total of LaVar's new contract. The only thing that is for certain are the base numbers, which are posted at NFLPA.org for all to see.

The cap numbers you listed from WI came from a guy that supposedly is on the "inside" and can pull this kind of information. What is not known is whether the numbers include all possible bonuses/escalators/incentives to max out LaVar's cap number in each year, or whether the author only included some of them. Only a true "insider" would know for sure.

#1) The Arrington bonus in 2006 - Is it a lump sum or does that get pro-rated over the remaining contract?

#2) When Arrington was "refinanced" does the remaining SB from the original contract still get pro-rated over the length of the original contract or is it re-pro-rated over the length of the new contract (or in this case the 7 year max.)?

Archived