Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Say Goodbye To Greg Jones

JoeSkins

Originally posted by Skeletor The Invincible

Greg Jones played himself into the 2nd round definitely, depending on how he does at the combine.

But no way should any team waste a first rounder on him.

Most mock drafts have him, and have had him, no lower than the 2nd round (many don't have him getting past number 5 in round two, if you get what I'm saying), with a couple even having the Pats take him at pick 32. Granted, mock drafts do mean little, but I think he was a 2nd round pick to begin with, and is now working his way up/down.

mel kiper said he played himself from the third to the second round all the fa cards will have to be played first, because the holes the skins have now might not be the same by the draft new fa coming in plus you dont know whos getting cut. jones did look like a bull but had had a little cut to him to would fit the single back formation.

i am kind of shocked that anyone would have thought greg jones would have been drafted any later than the Pats second pick of the first. don't know about those "draft experts", but i have had greg jones going to the cowpokes for over a month now-- in the first round. the dude is a sick combo of size and speed.

Did you see the special ESPN had on rookies on friday. Damn, Boldin's an incredibly good blocker too.

Of course there have been receivers whose slow forty times were a harbinger of things to come (JJ Stokes being a great example, and there are plenty more). The key to me is this, take into account that forty time, but don't let it outweigh everything else.

I don't think Dockett or Jones will be there at 42 anymore, so people expecting us to able to pass on DL help until then, or rely on Jones to be around then are probably, unfortunately, fooling themselves.

Couple of things on G Jones.

He is NOT injury prone. His last knee injury happened at Wake Forrest. For any ACC fans out there you know that Wake is the college version of the old Vet in Philly. Their field is horrible.

The year the Jones got hurt there was something like 10-12 guys that had season ending injuries on that field. The field is alwyas soft and mushy, that combined with the tackling technique (dive that the legs) that they are taught, it is no surpise there are a lot of injuries.

That doesn't make him injury prone.

He is southern, in fact he is from relativly the same area in South Carolina that Stephen Davis is.

Check this pic out, it is Jones working out his knee during last offseason at FSU

Also here is a set of clips from a run he had against UNC this year

here is the whole run

http://www.geocities.com/southeastartifacts/zzzzzGregJonesVideo.mpg

better quality but show only the hit

http://www.coloradonoles.com/Video/jones.wmv

He is definitely worth a second rounder if he is still available.

All I'm saying is that how scary can the knee injury be, if the Bills (whose management is quite sound) took the risk on McGahee in the first off a fresh knee injury, why not give Jones a look when he has a 90% rehabilitated knee. McGahee couldn't even run when he was drafted. Can Jones run? Ask Stew Schweigert and the rest of the North defense.

I may be putting a little too much into the McGahee drafting, but for somebody who is obviously a talented player, why not Jones? Teams have taken much bigger risks. Recieving can be taught. And blocking as a FB and blocking as a HB are two completely different things. While the "attitude" (don't know exactly how much 'tude he had) may need looking into, Marty seemed to find Jones fine to work with, and he doesn't take anything.

And yet, I can't help but feel stupid if we trade for Dillon, draft at 5 or sign somebody to play RB...Looks like this is all a waiting game.

Archived