Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Huddle Report Mock Draft

Slope

www.thehuddlereport.com

How does this look for the Redskins?

1 5 REDSKINS DT - TOMMIE HARRIS - OKLAHOMA - B

Alternatives: DE - KENECHI UDEZE - USC - C, CB - DERRICK STRAIT - OKLAHOMA - P, OT - SHAWN ANDREWS - ARKANSAS - D, RB - STEVEN JACKSON - OREGON ST - T

2 42 REDSKINS CB - WILL POOLE - USC - P

Alternatives: OG - JUSTIN SMILEY - ALABAMA - D, OT - MAX STARKS - FLORIDA - D, OLB - MICHAEL BOULWARE - FLORIDA ST - T, DE - JASON BABIN - WESTERN MICHIGAN - C

3 73 REDSKINS DE - NATHANIEL ADIBI - VIRGINIA TECH - C

Alternatives: RB - GREG JONES - FLORIDA ST - T, OT - KELLY BUTLER - PURDUE - D, OC - NICK LECKEY - KANSAS ST - D, TE - KRIS WILSON - PITTSBURGH - T

5 135 REDSKINS RB - QUINCY WILSON - WEST VIRGINIA - T

Alternatives: RB - JASON WRIGHT - NORTHWESTERN - T, OC - AJ RICKER - MISSOURI - D, TE - BEN HARTSOCK - OHIO ST - T, ILB/OLB - LEWIS MOORE - PITTSBURGH - T

Harris is strong as an ox but he is fat and slow. He doesnt have good balance and his point of attack is too high. As I have said before, this isnt a strong draft as far as defensive lineman so I believe we should either take Sean Taylr or Kellen Winslow with our 5th pick or trade down and draft a RB.

Ernie, that huddle report is based on the perceived value of the pick at the time of the draft. In other words, if you pick a player in the second round that the so-called experts thought was a first-round pick, you get a good grade.

It doesn't matter if that pick never plays a down.

In my mind, that's an utterly stupid way to judge a draft.

Tkatz don't just go by prejudices you hold to be true,

Harris as a DE

Tommie Harris   DT   Oklahoma

Strengths

This kid is special. He plays his position with linebacker-like skills. He uses his hands better than anyone I have seen at this level. He is quick into the backfield and disrupts the blocking of the offensive line all the time. The linebackers on his team love him because they get to clean up all the problems he creates. He is very athletic, very much like a

linebacker in the body of a Defensive Tackle. He plays in a big program and has shown ability to handle the pressure of winning and losing. He understands the value of playing for the team so that the team can win.

Needs to Improve

He gets manhandled at times in the running game. At this stage he is not strong enough to play tackle in the NFL. He does not have that big old bubble butt that I like to see in my Defensive Tackles. I do not feel that he will ever be able to hunker down against the run with any consistency. He is just a 1-gap DT.  This is not good. As a DT, he is rated way too

high because he is a tweener that will have trouble staying on the field for enough plays to make an impact. If he were rated as a second-rounder, I would say jump all over him but as a DT first rounder, I have questions.

Bottom Line

Are you confused? First I tell you he is something special and then I tell you he is not that good and never will be that good as a DT in the NFL. That is because I feel he will be the next great strong side Defensive End. I feel he is playing out of position. That's why he gets pushed around in the running game. I feel that he will be as good as Strahan and Peppers. He has the talent, speed, quickness and strength for a DE in the NFL. He might have to lose about ten pounds but I am told that at 290lbs he runs a 4.69 in the forty. That is faster then most of the linebackers and DE's in this draft. His hand use is excellent and his athleticism is equal to a linebackers. IMO, he will be special because he wants to be special. He is another player that is not motivated just by money. I think he will learn very quickly the DE position and will make an impact for a team in his first year. I do not think that he should be moved back and forth from DT to DE -- this would be a mistake. It will stunt his impact. Draft him, put him on the strong side and let him go. He might wind up being Rookie of the Year if a team is smart enough to do that. He is an every down lineman as a DE.  He is not an every down lineman as a DT. As you watch Tommie in the coming bowl game, say to yourself three times, “Tommie is a DE, not a DT.”  You will see Tommie flash.  Look at him carefully -- you will see he plays like a LB.

That was a very good summary and I appreciate you writing such a well written post. But I dont see Tommie Harris in that light. I dont think he has the initial burst to be a strong pass-rushing defensive end. While quicker then some defensive tackles he has no where near the speed to be a defensive end. And although he explodes quick off the ball he comes out to high in doing so. He has great handwork but it will be unimportant how good his hands are if he is instantly stood up b/c of playing too high.

You may in the long run be right about him but I still feel as though the #5 pick is too high for him.

Originally posted by tkatz

Harris is strong as an ox but he is fat and slow. He doesnt have good balance and his point of attack is too high. As I have said before, this isnt a strong draft as far as defensive lineman so I believe we should either take Sean Taylr or Kellen Winslow with our 5th pick or trade down and draft a RB.

Are you kidding me? Have you ever watched him play a down of football? Tommie Harris is far from fat and probably the fastest DT in the draft. You can support who you want but don't make things up in your arguments.

Archived