Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Karl Rove can't be happy about this.

Zen-like Todd

Will the Eagles continue to dominate the NFC East?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Eagles continue to dominate the NFC East?

• No. Move over Philly, you had your chance, there are better teams on the way and you're on the way down.
    • Maybe. One more year as NFC East champs, possibly two. No one in the NFC East can threaten them yet.
    • Yes. Obvious favorite to continue to dominate the NFC East. No teams can challenge them late into the season for at least two years.

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

Was Rove counting on a Dean victory? Sorry, I'm a bit out of the loop here.

Dean is widely seen as the least electable major Democratic contender. In fact, some number of months ago, he was literally spotted at some outdoor event Dean was having, cheering him on, saying, "That's the one we want!"

Yeah...I think thats probably somewhat accurate. Think Rove/Bush generally aren't too worried if the economy continues to perk up. But I imagine they would be happier with a guy like Dean (who may still get the nomination btw, though its tougher now). I think Edwards is scarier to them to an extent than Kerry, because Kerry has that 'Dukakis' thing going...he's just not very appealing personally. Edwards (who btw, I said 24hrs ago would be a non-factor :shot: ) is young, handsome, reasonably personable. He could get a lot of the mindless vote.

Originally posted by Tarhog

Yeah...I think thats probably somewhat accurate. Think Rove/Bush generally aren't too worried if the economy continues to perk up. But I imagine they would be happier with a guy like Dean (who may still get the nomination btw, though its tougher now). I think Edwards is scarier to them to an extent than Kerry, because Kerry has that 'Dukakis' thing going...he's just not very appealing personally. Edwards (who btw, I said 24hrs ago would be a non-factor :shot: ) is young, handsome, reasonably personable. He could get a lot of the mindless vote.

The interesting thing is that Edwards isn't actually "young". He's certainly not old, but he's not really younger than the rest of the crowd. Edwards is 50 years old, believe it or not. He looks at least ten years younger, which works heavily to his advantage.

Its funny, because a few months ago I was having a conversation with someone and I said I didn't understand how intelligent Democrats could put Dean up as their man, when someone like Edwards or Kerry would have IMHO put up a much better fight. I thought I must have been missing something at the time, but I suppose my intuition was dead on target.

Good point Cranky.

He's incredibly young in terms of political experience. I think, beyond any critique of his positions, thats his achilles heel. Even most Democrats would privately concede he's not ready for the Presidency. I also don't think Edwards has the organizational savvy to get to the White House this time, even if he catches fire and gets the nomination. But he could be formidable down the road.

Originally posted by Tarhog

Good point Cranky.

He's incredibly young in terms of political experience. I think, beyond any critique of his positions, thats his achilles heel. Even most Democrats would privately concede he's not ready for the Presidency. I also don't think Edwards has the organizational savvy to get to the White House this time, even if he catches fire and gets the nomination. But he could be formidable down the road.

Like Dubya and Clinton? :laugh:

I understand your position, and I agree with it to some extent. However, and I know I'm being cynical, but as Edwards ages, he will lose a core of support. In another ten years or so, he will lose the prettyboy fanbase (the mindless vote), and will he really have gained enough in terms of his political background to not only offset, but gain ground in terms of the electorate?

Kerry is not scary to Republicans. There's nothing that he really inspires amongst followers. Like I said in the other thread, he'd be to Dems what Dole was to Republicans in 1996 - ho hum, our mainstream party candidate.

Edwards charisma and Clark's credentials are more scary propositions, and yet they may be the least able to run successful campaigns, at least at this stage.

Archived