Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A jock-sniffing billionaire: Dan Snyder takes his favorite Redskins to Wizards games?

Atlanta Skins Fan

Somehow this Dan Daly column got posted here 24 hours ago without comment. The whole column is worth the read, but what drew my attention was this:

... it's what Gibbs hopes to recreate in his second term as coach: A team that's the antithesis of the ones Dan Snyder has been assembling. A team of "snot-blowers," in the words of Bugel. "We don't want prima donnas," he said.

In recent years, the Redskins have had too many stars, real and imagined. From Deion and Bruce Smith, Snyder's first big splashes, to the recently re-signed LaVar Arrington, there has always been the sense that some players were above the others, basically because the owner wanted it that way. There were Dan's Guys, guys he'd take to a Wizards game with him, and there was everybody else — and it did little for the club's chemistry.

You can't run a football team like that ... and Gibbs won't, as Snyder is about to see. Joe is a uniter, not a divider. His mantra, stated again yesterday, is, "It's all of us together." It helps to have talented players, but it's just as important that they don't act — or are made to feel — as if they're more important than the rest.

With the recent disclosure (by Lavar himself) that Lavar hangs out in Snyder's office frequently, it's becoming clear that Snyder's fraternization with players extends well beyond a couple of office chats with Bruce Smith.

That it extends to taking Danny's personal posse to Wizards games is ridiculous. Nothing could bloat a player's ego, or undermine a coach, more.

Joe Gibbs has to find a way to end this. Immediately.

Somehow this Dan Daly column got posted here 24 hours ago without comment. The whole column is worth the read, but what drew my attention was this:

... it's what Gibbs hopes to recreate in his second term as coach: A team that's the antithesis of the ones Dan Snyder has been assembling. A team of "snot-blowers," in the words of Bugel. "We don't want prima donnas," he said.

In recent years, the Redskins have had too many stars, real and imagined. From Deion and Bruce Smith, Snyder's first big splashes, to the recently re-signed LaVar Arrington, there has always been the sense that some players were above the others, basically because the owner wanted it that way. There were Dan's Guys, guys he'd take to a Wizards game with him, and there was everybody else — and it did little for the club's chemistry.

You can't run a football team like that ... and Gibbs won't, as Snyder is about to see. Joe is a uniter, not a divider. His mantra, stated again yesterday, is, "It's all of us together." It helps to have talented players, but it's just as important that they don't act — or are made to feel — as if they're more important than the rest.

With the recent disclosure (by Lavar himself) that Lavar hangs out in Snyder's office frequently, it's becoming clear that Snyder's fraternization with players extends well beyond a couple of office chats with Bruce Smith.

That it extends to taking Danny's personal posse to Wizards games is ridiculous. Nothing could bloat a player's ego, or undermine a coach, more.

Joe Gibbs has to find a way to end this. Immediately.

Arrington was quoted the day Gibbs was hired as saying "I talk with him frequently. But you got me Dan Snyder. You got me good."

I must say I was a bit unnerved by the quote.

Listen, I can't fault Snyder for hiring Gibbs. If you're going to learn.. you want to do it from the best. Gibbs will show him how to run the organization. Everyone wins.

Arrington was quoted the day Gibbs was hired as saying "I talk with him frequently. But you got me Dan Snyder. You got me good."

I must say I was a bit unnerved by the quote.

Listen, I can't fault Snyder for hiring Gibbs. If you're going to learn.. you want to do it from the best. Gibbs will show him how to run the organization. Everyone wins.

Originally posted by Skeletor The Invincible

I don't see how it effects a players performance on a football field, honestly.

Sure, it might make them seem important, but so what? They still have a job to do on Sundays, and I don't think having a little fun with the owner should hamper that.

Don't ever go into management. :laugh:

I don't see how it effects a players performance on a football field, honestly.

Sure, it might make them seem important, but so what? They still have a job to do on Sundays, and I don't think having a little fun with the owner should hamper that.

Don't ever go into management. :laugh:

I don't plan to. :)

I see your point though.

Generals aren't suppose to hang out with the people under their command. Gotcha. But sometimes the best leaders earn respect that way.

You're blurring the point.

This is not Eisenhower showing up to meet and greet the the troops, spending 20 minutes with a platoon plucked out of a hat. It's not Bush dropping in on the troops in Iraq for a Thanksgiving dinner.

It's the owner selecting a handful of players as ongoing, personal pets. It eviscerates the coach's ability to command those players, because the players know they have nothing to fear. They are uncuttable and immune from even the threat of discipline. And, more broadly, the fraternization telegraphs to the entire team that the coach really isn't in charge.

It's a disaster. Trust me.

I don't plan to. :)

I see your point though.

Generals aren't suppose to hang out with the people under their command. Gotcha. But sometimes the best leaders earn respect that way.

You're blurring the point.

This is not Eisenhower showing up to meet and greet the the troops, spending 20 minutes with a platoon plucked out of a hat. It's not Bush dropping in on the troops in Iraq for a Thanksgiving dinner.

It's the owner selecting a handful of players as ongoing, personal pets. It eviscerates the coach's ability to command those players, because the players know they have nothing to fear. They are uncuttable and immune from even the threat of discipline. And, more broadly, the fraternization telegraphs to the entire team that the coach really isn't in charge.

It's a disaster. Trust me.

Okay.

The only confirmed player than Snyder ever brought to a Wizards game is Deion Sanders, which is the worst FA signing in the history of the Redskins. Sanders proceeded to rip Snyder a new one, and quit. (Which seems to prove your point.)

I've never met Snyder. I don't know the man. All I know is what I read, and what I read isn't too good. The guy can't be as bad as has been written about him.

If he was a real Redskin fan, as I presume he is, I think he will learn from his mistakes, learn for a few years from Gibbs about how football is run and managed for the good of the team, and put his ego aside. To change.

However, I hope that we don't make entirerly new mistakes. :(

Okay.

The only confirmed player than Snyder ever brought to a Wizards game is Deion Sanders, which is the worst FA signing in the history of the Redskins. Sanders proceeded to rip Snyder a new one, and quit. (Which seems to prove your point.)

I've never met Snyder. I don't know the man. All I know is what I read, and what I read isn't too good. The guy can't be as bad as has been written about him.

If he was a real Redskin fan, as I presume he is, I think he will learn from his mistakes, learn for a few years from Gibbs about how football is run and managed for the good of the team, and put his ego aside. To change.

However, I hope that we don't make entirerly new mistakes. :(

Probably not. In many cases, the problem is he's too much of a fan for his own good.

If you watched ExtremeSkins turn into a crowd of schoolgirls around Ramsey tonight -- he dropped by for a surprise chat -- you see my point. We're slavish fans, obviously.

It's just that the owner has to remember who he is in the organization.

There's a great scene in Oliver Stone's Nixon in which Attorney General John Mitchell urges Nixon to write letters of condolences to the families of those slain at Kent State. Nixon replies:

"I'd like to offer my condolences. But Nixon can't."

It's one of the most cryptic yet insightful summations of leadership -- of the division between personal self and official responsibility -- that I've ever seen.

Archived