Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs doesn't need to adjust to Free Agency

StevieInferior

I find it interesting that everyone says Joe needs to learn about FA. However, the 82 Skins had more FAs than any other SUper Bowl Champ in history. They brought in 12 FAs including players like Jacoby & Olkewitz. Later on in his career he brought in key FAs like Byner, Millen, Stokes, Time Johnson, Copeland, Edwards, Willams, & Marshall just to name a few. So it looks like Joe has always used FA to bolster his teams. Heck it maybe even easier for him with a more liberal poicy. You may say the cap will ghinder him and it might. but lets keep in mind that many of the players he picked up were castoffs by other teams who he was able to use effectively. We may actually have a coach he can go out and get the cheap talent and use it effectively.

I find it interesting that everyone says Joe needs to learn about FA. However, the 82 Skins had more FAs than any other SUper Bowl Champ in history. They brought in 12 FAs including players like Jacoby & Olkewitz. Later on in his career he brought in key FAs like Byner, Millen, Stokes, Time Johnson, Copeland, Edwards, Willams, & Marshall just to name a few. So it looks like Joe has always used FA to bolster his teams. Heck it maybe even easier for him with a more liberal poicy. You may say the cap will ghinder him and it might. but lets keep in mind that many of the players he picked up were castoffs by other teams who he was able to use effectively. We may actually have a coach he can go out and get the cheap talent and use it effectively.

The bigger thing, as I've posted elsewhere, is that he also doesn't have to prepare his team to face a 49ers team in the playoffs that has Steve Young as the backup QB, face a Bears team with an All-Pro at each defensive position, or face a Giants team with LT.

In many ways, it's easier for him in the free agent world. Of course, it does mean that he won't necessarily be able to take a week off when playing Arizona (which he very well could have in the old days)

The bigger thing, as I've posted elsewhere, is that he also doesn't have to prepare his team to face a 49ers team in the playoffs that has Steve Young as the backup QB, face a Bears team with an All-Pro at each defensive position, or face a Giants team with LT.

In many ways, it's easier for him in the free agent world. Of course, it does mean that he won't necessarily be able to take a week off when playing Arizona (which he very well could have in the old days)

I think the point is that he's going to have to learn to deal with 25%+ roster turnover each year. The 'Skins won't be able to hide players on IR as they did in the past and they won't be able to keep all of their own players. It definitely causes stress within any organization.

This system requires a lot more planning for keeping key components of the team together. It's certainly not rocket science, but obviously, based on the recent results, the Redskins (and many other teams) haven't been too good at this.

I think the point is that he's going to have to learn to deal with 25%+ roster turnover each year. The 'Skins won't be able to hide players on IR as they did in the past and they won't be able to keep all of their own players. It definitely causes stress within any organization.

This system requires a lot more planning for keeping key components of the team together. It's certainly not rocket science, but obviously, based on the recent results, the Redskins (and many other teams) haven't been too good at this.

Blazers,

You are right, of course, that it will be an adjustment. But, that's precisely what Gibbs does. He adjusts. That's his single greatest strength as a coach. SPare has a very good point as well. Gibbs will now be game planning teams that equally have less depth. He'll be able to exploit some teams in ways he might not have been able to do in the past.

Blazers,

You are right, of course, that it will be an adjustment. But, that's precisely what Gibbs does. He adjusts. That's his single greatest strength as a coach. SPare has a very good point as well. Gibbs will now be game planning teams that equally have less depth. He'll be able to exploit some teams in ways he might not have been able to do in the past.

Blazer21 is right. The turnover impacts the way teams are built. Your team makeup is constantly shifting making long range developmental plan difficult. The cap also means you have to decide where to invest...you can't have a team that's strong in all facets.

Blazer21 is right. The turnover impacts the way teams are built. Your team makeup is constantly shifting making long range developmental plan difficult. The cap also means you have to decide where to invest...you can't have a team that's strong in all facets.

No you can't Scott. But as Doc Walker described after the press conference yesterday, what Gibbs does is figure out what a player does better than anything else. And he puts that player into a situation where he gets to do the things he's good at.

Gibbs finds a way to get every player on the roster to feel like they are part of the thing and he uses them to whatever strengths they have so they can take part. I'm MUCH more concerned with trying to do two man routes into 7 man coverages than I am with Gibbs overly stressed by free agency. The man's adaptability and ability to get the most out of players by using them to their strengths is ideal for this NFL.

No you can't Scott. But as Doc Walker described after the press conference yesterday, what Gibbs does is figure out what a player does better than anything else. And he puts that player into a situation where he gets to do the things he's good at.

Gibbs finds a way to get every player on the roster to feel like they are part of the thing and he uses them to whatever strengths they have so they can take part. I'm MUCH more concerned with trying to do two man routes into 7 man coverages than I am with Gibbs overly stressed by free agency. The man's adaptability and ability to get the most out of players by using them to their strengths is ideal for this NFL.

Originally posted by Art

But, that's precisely what Gibbs does. He adjusts. That's his single greatest strength as a coach.

I totally agree with you, Art. That's what makes him a much more dangerous coach to the Eagles than Parcells. When he learns to adjust on the fly using the current technology, he will eliminate the Eagles coaching advantage. The Eagles are great at immediate (not halftime) adjustments. Gibbs will learn all too quickly for my taste. :)

Originally posted by Art

But, that's precisely what Gibbs does. He adjusts. That's his single greatest strength as a coach.

I totally agree with you, Art. That's what makes him a much more dangerous coach to the Eagles than Parcells. When he learns to adjust on the fly using the current technology, he will eliminate the Eagles coaching advantage. The Eagles are great at immediate (not halftime) adjustments. Gibbs will learn all too quickly for my taste. :)

I think you'll still see some turnover, but you'll have many guys that will take less salary to play for Gibbs. Gibbs and Parcells have very loyal players. The guys that stick with them believe in them and are the kind that want a ring and not just the big bucks. These are the guys that Gibbs want. He wants the blue collar guys.

I think you'll still see some turnover, but you'll have many guys that will take less salary to play for Gibbs. Gibbs and Parcells have very loyal players. The guys that stick with them believe in them and are the kind that want a ring and not just the big bucks. These are the guys that Gibbs want. He wants the blue collar guys.

Gibbs proved in his first tenure in the NFL that he could deal with change. Winning 3 Superbowls with 3 different QBs? ...and only ONE of those QBs was actually any good for longer than a year or two.

Gibbs can now, in a manner of speaking, use his 'clout' as a lure for big name talent who may, and probably will, be willing to take less money to play for a team that has this type of coaching talent. Same with Parcells for that matter...these guys are proven entities who do one thing: WIN. Parcells is a great motivator, Gibbs the master of adjusting. I can't wait.

Gibbs proved in his first tenure in the NFL that he could deal with change. Winning 3 Superbowls with 3 different QBs? ...and only ONE of those QBs was actually any good for longer than a year or two.

Gibbs can now, in a manner of speaking, use his 'clout' as a lure for big name talent who may, and probably will, be willing to take less money to play for a team that has this type of coaching talent. Same with Parcells for that matter...these guys are proven entities who do one thing: WIN. Parcells is a great motivator, Gibbs the master of adjusting. I can't wait.

Originally posted by Art

Absolutely beautiful summary, Art.:cheers:

That is exactly Joe Gibbs.

Archived