Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:More Quotables

TK

More Quotables

Thursday, January 8, 2004; Page D09

"I haven't heard from Joe. But you never say never." -- Jim Hanifan, currently an assistant coach with the St. Louis Rams, when asked if he'd consider coming back to coach with Gibbs

"I've heard he was bringing back Joe Bugel and I heard he was talking to Russ Grimm also. I hope he talking to Richie Petitbon and Larry Peccatiello." -- Former Redskins linebacker Monte Coleman

"I'm happy for Joe. I appreciated very much where he was when he left and understood completely why he left. And I can understand completely why he's back. He'll be a great influence on the Redskins organization as long as they allow him to be." -- Kansas City Chiefs Coach Dick Vermeil

"Joe Gibbs is the greatest head coach in the history of the National Football League. He will figure out what to do in 2004, get a plan in place and put it to work." -- Houston Texans General Manager Charley Casserly, who worked in the Redskins' front office during Gibbs's tenure.

"I said when he retired that Joe was the best coach I'd ever faced. I have great respect for his ability. I don't think the time that he has spent away from the game will have any effect at all." -- Dallas Cowboys Coach Bill Parcells

"Joe Gibbs is an integral part of The Home Depot family, and I speak for the more than 300,000 company associates in support of his new challenges as coach of the Washington Redskins. Given Joe's success at building teams, it comes as no surprise that he would add NFL coach to his current responsibilities for the number 20 Home Depot car driven by Tony Stewart. We look forward to a successful 2004 season with Joe Gibbs Racing." -- Bob Nardelli, chairman, president and CEO of The Home Depot, a Joe Gibbs Racing sponsor

"All of us at Interstate are extremely excited for Joe and look forward to the Cowboys-Redskins rivalry heating up again. Joe Gibbs has been terrific for racing, leading Interstate and Bobby Labonte to the series championship in 2000, and I know he will quickly return the Redskins to Super Bowl form." -- Norm Miller, chairman of the Dallas-based Interstate Batteries, a Joe Gibbs Racing sponsor

"The most important thing that he is going to do right now is to construct this staff. He's been out of the game for a while. Putting his staff together with people like a Gregg Williams are the people he'll want to get to. He'll surround himself with competent people." -- Former Redskins quarterback Sonny Jurgensen

"I meet with Dan Snyder quite frequently and quite frankly he got me on this one. You got me, Dan Snyder, you got me." -- Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington, on ESPNews

Staff writer Don Oldenburg, along with news services, contributed to this report.

More Quotables

Thursday, January 8, 2004; Page D09

"I haven't heard from Joe. But you never say never." -- Jim Hanifan, currently an assistant coach with the St. Louis Rams, when asked if he'd consider coming back to coach with Gibbs

"I've heard he was bringing back Joe Bugel and I heard he was talking to Russ Grimm also. I hope he talking to Richie Petitbon and Larry Peccatiello." -- Former Redskins linebacker Monte Coleman

"I'm happy for Joe. I appreciated very much where he was when he left and understood completely why he left. And I can understand completely why he's back. He'll be a great influence on the Redskins organization as long as they allow him to be." -- Kansas City Chiefs Coach Dick Vermeil

"Joe Gibbs is the greatest head coach in the history of the National Football League. He will figure out what to do in 2004, get a plan in place and put it to work." -- Houston Texans General Manager Charley Casserly, who worked in the Redskins' front office during Gibbs's tenure.

"I said when he retired that Joe was the best coach I'd ever faced. I have great respect for his ability. I don't think the time that he has spent away from the game will have any effect at all." -- Dallas Cowboys Coach Bill Parcells

"Joe Gibbs is an integral part of The Home Depot family, and I speak for the more than 300,000 company associates in support of his new challenges as coach of the Washington Redskins. Given Joe's success at building teams, it comes as no surprise that he would add NFL coach to his current responsibilities for the number 20 Home Depot car driven by Tony Stewart. We look forward to a successful 2004 season with Joe Gibbs Racing." -- Bob Nardelli, chairman, president and CEO of The Home Depot, a Joe Gibbs Racing sponsor

"All of us at Interstate are extremely excited for Joe and look forward to the Cowboys-Redskins rivalry heating up again. Joe Gibbs has been terrific for racing, leading Interstate and Bobby Labonte to the series championship in 2000, and I know he will quickly return the Redskins to Super Bowl form." -- Norm Miller, chairman of the Dallas-based Interstate Batteries, a Joe Gibbs Racing sponsor

"The most important thing that he is going to do right now is to construct this staff. He's been out of the game for a while. Putting his staff together with people like a Gregg Williams are the people he'll want to get to. He'll surround himself with competent people." -- Former Redskins quarterback Sonny Jurgensen

"I meet with Dan Snyder quite frequently and quite frankly he got me on this one. You got me, Dan Snyder, you got me." -- Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington, on ESPNews

Staff writer Don Oldenburg, along with news services, contributed to this report.

...and then he burst into tears.

...and then he burst into tears.

Originally posted by TK421CLICKER

What do you guys make of this? I don't like the idea of the owner fraternizing with players like Snyder does so often. First Deion, then Bruce Smith, and now Lavar.

What do you guys make of this? I don't like the idea of the owner fraternizing with players like Snyder does so often. First Deion, then Bruce Smith, and now Lavar.

This open-door access to Dan Snyder will be an interesting issue for Gibbs to face.

Everyone saw Bruce Smith's access to Snyder for the divisive and negative influence that it was. Lavar, as a true cornerstone player and now "Redskin for life" is a different case -- but does that make his access to Snyder any better?

I'm trying to recall whether any of the great players of the (old) Gibbs era had open-door access to Cooke. Did Riggins? Theismann?

It smells wrong -- smells of obvious favoritism. In any business hierarchy, it's a major problem for friendships to jump the stated hierarchy. It inherently undermines the management that is being jumped.

I understand Dan Snyder's desire to be friendly, even friends, with the great players on his team. God knows he's paid for the opportunity, and it's the ultimate high for a fan. But that doesn't make it right.

Help me out: In Gibbs Era I, did this happen?

Is it OK?

If it's not, it will be an immediate and challenging test of Joe Gibbs to see if he's willing to push his owner away from his players.

Parcells faced the same challenge in Dallas: famously bolting the locker room door and locking out Jerry Jones after a game.

For Joe Gibbs, there may come a time when he, too, will have to draw a line in the sand.

This open-door access to Dan Snyder will be an interesting issue for Gibbs to face.

Everyone saw Bruce Smith's access to Snyder for the divisive and negative influence that it was. Lavar, as a true cornerstone player and now "Redskin for life" is a different case -- but does that make his access to Snyder any better?

I'm trying to recall whether any of the great players of the (old) Gibbs era had open-door access to Cooke. Did Riggins? Theismann?

It smells wrong -- smells of obvious favoritism. In any business hierarchy, it's a major problem for friendships to jump the stated hierarchy. It inherently undermines the management that is being jumped.

I understand Dan Snyder's desire to be friendly, even friends, with the great players on his team. God knows he's paid for the opportunity, and it's the ultimate high for a fan. But that doesn't make it right.

Help me out: In Gibbs Era I, did this happen?

Is it OK?

If it's not, it will be an immediate and challenging test of Joe Gibbs to see if he's willing to push his owner away from his players.

Parcells faced the same challenge in Dallas: famously bolting the locker room door and locking out Jerry Jones after a game.

For Joe Gibbs, there may come a time when he, too, will have to draw a line in the sand.

Archived