Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Final Score History (14-7)

kleese

Sunday was the 90th time in NFL history that a game ended in a final score of 14-7. All but three were regular season games (the 1944 NFL Champ game Packers over Giants, Super Bowl 7, and a 1977 Divisional playoff game Vikings over Rams). You can see a marked change in how the trend of this score has played out over the years. Obviously as offenses evolved, this has become a less and less common outcome, whereas it was a normal occurrence in the early years of the league. Also note, this is WASHINGTON history so I do not count anything from the Boston Redskins era. 

While it's happened 90 times, 55 of them came prior to the merger in the early 70's and only 11 have taken place since 1990. So this started off as a fairly common outcome and has morphed into a rare outcome (for example, it only happened twice the entire decade of the 90's-- one game in which we were involved). 

1942: Giants 14, @ Redskins 7

1942: Redskins 14, @ Giants 7 

1944: @ Redskins 14, Boston Yanks 7 

1946: @ Steelers 14, Redskins 7

1961: @ Eagles 14, Redskins 7 

1964: Steelers 14, @ Redskins 7 

1969: Redskins 14, @ Steelers 7 

1972: Dolphins 7, Redskins 7 (Super Bowl)

1973: @ Redskins 14, Cowboys 7 

1977: Cowboys 14, @ Redskins 7 

1985: Redskins 14, @ Browns 7 

1995: Eagles 14, @ Redskins 7 

2023: @ Giants 14, Redskins 7 

Overall 5-8 (2-4 home; 3-3 road, 0-1 neutral) 

--The 1942 games are interesting to note because the loss to the Giants was the Redskins only loss that season en route to the NFL Championship

--The Boston Yanks were a short-lived franchise that played at Fenway Park-- eventually moved to NY, and then folded 

--Sonny was the winning QB for the Eagles in the 1961 game

--I've always been interested in the 1969 Redskins because that was the lone Vince Lombardi season. The 1969 game featured Lombardi in his final season, while Chuck Noll was in his first for the Steelers 

--As someone who has been deeply interested in team/league history, whenever I see "14-7" I will always think of SB 7 even though it took place five years before I was born. I'd say it's a fairly well know game as it capped the Dolphins 17-0 season. For those that may not know, the Redskins blocked a FG attempt late, the Dolphins kicker bungled it, and wound up throwing/fumbling an interception to Mike Bass who returned it for a TD to keep faint hopes alive in that game. Had the FG been made the final score of the game likely would have been 17-0 to match the record. 

--The 1973 game featured on the most iconic moments in RFK history. MNF against their rivals, it was a struggle all night and Dallas led 7-0 entering the fourth. Two fourth quarter TDs gave Washington the lead and Ken Houston sealed the game by tackling Walt Garrison just short of the goal line on the final play of the game. 

--Dallas would get a measure of revenge, again at RFK, in 1977 when THEY came back from down 7-0 in second half to win the game. 

--1985 at Cleveland was a fairly forgettable game, but it did mark one of the last big games for John Riggins (112 yards that day). 

--The 1995 was also pretty forgettable, but it sort of fell in line with a lot of games in the 1995 season. After being awful in 1993 and 1994, the Redskins were quite improved in 1995, but they lost a bunch of close games. The final record of 6-10 was probably not truly indicative of who they were that year. It was a far more enjoyable season than either of the previous two seasons. Eagles came in 7-4 and Redskins were 3-8, but it was a tight game. Redskins held a 7-6 lead in fourth quarter before Eagles scored and then held on to win. Heath Shuler started this game for the Redskins and it was pretty clear by this point that he just couldn't really play.  

• Like 1