Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Decision making from WTEM

Art

Gibbs may not "know" the names of players around the league that much, having been out of football for 12 years, but he does recognize talent.

One of Gibbs biggest assets is recognizing and judging football skills on the field. After he sees players perform for awhile -- either on the practice field or in the film rooms -- he has an astute eye as to which players have what it takes to contribute something or to excell. :)

Originally posted by WallyG3

I bet he's still rolling around on his office floor giggling like a fool.

No, he delegates that task to Vinny. ;)

Guys, let's not go overboard here. Gibbs is going to work with Vinny, who is not an idiot in personnel matters even if he isn't our favorite guy. Remember that we've been for several years one of the best and most aggressive teams out there at signing UDFA's in the week following the draft, which simply can't happen without a lot of organization and hard work. Gibbs will simply provide the final amount of direction we need to put us over the top.

Originally posted by WallyG3

I bet he's still rolling around on his office floor giggling like a fool.

No, he delegates that task to Vinny. ;)

Guys, let's not go overboard here. Gibbs is going to work with Vinny, who is not an idiot in personnel matters even if he isn't our favorite guy. Remember that we've been for several years one of the best and most aggressive teams out there at signing UDFA's in the week following the draft, which simply can't happen without a lot of organization and hard work. Gibbs will simply provide the final amount of direction we need to put us over the top.

Joe Gibbs has not been out of football for 11 years. He's been out of coaching, yes, but not out of football. Don't forget he's both worked as a TV analyst and been part owner of the Falcons. He hasn't been living on a desert island.

I imagine he'll look to Vinny for player evaluations. I seriously doubt Vinny will be winning any pissing contests, this year or next. Or ever. He's hardly got the stature that Beathard had when Gibbs was hired the first time. In 1981, Beathard was the established professional GM and Gibbs was the little-known assistant coach. That's not the situation now.

Here's a little trip down memory lane:

Gibbs Hired as Redskins Coach After Meeting With Cooke

By Paul Attner and Dave Kindred

Washington Post Staff Writers

Jan. 13, 1981

Joe Gibbs, San Diego Charger offensive coordinator, was hired as the new head coach of the Washington Redskins after a 3½-hour meeting last night in New York with owner Jack Kent Cooke and General Manager Bobby Beathard.

"Joe appeals to me because of his obvious dedication to the game," Cooke said of Gibbs after the meeting, which marked the first time he had talked to him. "I have confidence that Joe will provide the Redskins fans with a team that will stir the imagination, win or lose.

"And I believe his abilities match his ambitions. He's a pioneer in the game in as much as he recognized before others the perceptible change in the character of the game."

Cooke's reference was to the sophisticated San Diego passing attack the set NFL records the last two seasons with Gibbs calling the two plays.

Gibbs, 40, will replace Jack Pardee, who was fired by Cooke eight days ago after the owner decided to end a front office controversy by siding with Beathard and sacking his coach.

Cooke said Gibbs signed a multi-year contract, but refused to reveal its terms. But sources said it is a three-year contract starting at $100,000 a season.

It was reported yesterday that Cook's final approval was the only things between Gibbs and the Redskin job. Gibbs became the leading candidate after being recommended strongly by Beathard.

The Redskins had been prevented from talking to Gibbs by the Chargers' participation in the playoffs. That ended Sunday when San Diego lost to Oakland in the AFC championship game.

Gibbs said he "felt a number of things. I'm thankful to God for the body and mind to get a job like this. I feel a tremendous sense of responsibility and gratitude to Mr. Cooke. I want him to look back on this and say it was the best decision he ever made. I have a sense of urgency. I am ready and fired up."

After a morning press conference today, Gibbs and Beathard will go to Mobile, Ala., to scout college seniors participating in the North-South All-Star Game. They also will interview candidates for positions on the Redskin coaching staff.

"My first priorities are to get a staff together and talk to the Redskin players individually," Gibbs said. Sources have said Cooke is willing to spend "top dollar" to put together a top-notch staff.

Beathard had strongly recommended that Richie Petitbon, secondary coach under Pardee, be the new defensive coordinator and that move is expected to be made by Gibbs.

Beathard said he had known Gibbs for years and that he had "closely followed his career and I feel that he has prepared himself for this position as well or better than any coach in the NFL. He has a track record that speaks for itself. Besides being bright and a terrific Xs and Os man, Joe has demonstrated leadership.

"You can find a lot of fine assistant coaches but there are few assistants who can lead." Joe has an unusual talent to get along with players."

Gibbs, one of the most highly regarded offensive minds in the league, has been an assistant coach on the college and pro level for 17 years but has no head coach experience. The last two years, he served as the Chargers' offensive coordinator under Don Coryell.

Gibbs becomes the 17th head coach of the Redskins. He is inheriting a club that compiled a 6-10 record last season, its worst in 17 years. Washington has not been in the playoffs since 1976.

His hiring ends a short courtship by the Redskins, who first were attracted to him because of his work with the San Diego offense and his innovative reputation within the league.

But Cooke and Beathard didn't decide to sign Gibbs until they were convinced he has the motivational and teaching skills they believe are essential for improving the club. They also were impressed with his enthusiasm, his outgoing personality and his desire to work long hours. Cooke was openly critical of the Redskins' lack of emotion this season.

Cooke was determined to hire someone who not only could add life to an inconsistent offense but who could develop the young players Beathard wants to add to the roster the next few seasons

Cooke wants to make the Redskin games "fun for the fans" and he wants to see more passing and more progressive thinking on offense. Cooke was very impressed with the Chargers this season, especially because they were entertaining even when they lost.

Gibbs has felt the last five years that he was qualified to become a head coach in the NFL. His position was straightened especially this year, when the Chargers were the first team in league history to average 400 yards in offense and have three ends gain at least 1,000 yards receiving. Quarterback Dan Fouts also set league marks in three major passing categories.

While Coryell is credited with devising the Charger offense, which capitalizes on more stringent defensive rules, Gibbs has been responsible for refining and directing that attack. Fouts called him a genius.

Gibbs played tight end, linebacker and guard for Coryell at San Diego State from 1961-63 before starting his coaching career. He has coached under Coryell at San Diego State, under John McKay at Southern California and under Frank Broyles at Arkansas.

His first pro job was with St. Louis in 1973. He later moved to Tampa Bay before joining the Chargers in 1979.

Gibbs says he is excited about working with quarterback Joe Theismann, who has the rollout abilities that Fouts lacks. The Redskin offense had difficulty scoring last season and the club was the second-most penalized in the NFL although it passes for the most yards since 1967. Theismann had personal bests in passes, completions and yards gained.

Under Pardee, the Redskins attempted to develop a balanced attack, with emphasis on establishing a running game. The Chargers passed first and ran as an after thought. Gibbs said he anticipated using this offensive approach here next year.

Washington's defense is in better shape. The Redskins led the NFL in pass defense and were fourth in the NFC in total defense. They held down the Chargers in a 40-17 victory in December, their only defeat of a team with a winning record this season.

Although Beathard thinks his team can have a winning record next season, the Redskins still are going through a transition period. They had 16 players this year 30 or older, making them one of the league's oldest teams. Beathard anticipates having a much younger squad next season.

"That's why we need a teacher like Joe," he said. "We are going to have to bring along young players and help them get better very quickly. I'm very impressed with Joe's abilities in this area. He really knows how to bring the best out of the guys he's worked with."

Joe Gibbs has not been out of football for 11 years. He's been out of coaching, yes, but not out of football. Don't forget he's both worked as a TV analyst and been part owner of the Falcons. He hasn't been living on a desert island.

I imagine he'll look to Vinny for player evaluations. I seriously doubt Vinny will be winning any pissing contests, this year or next. Or ever. He's hardly got the stature that Beathard had when Gibbs was hired the first time. In 1981, Beathard was the established professional GM and Gibbs was the little-known assistant coach. That's not the situation now.

Here's a little trip down memory lane:

Gibbs Hired as Redskins Coach After Meeting With Cooke

By Paul Attner and Dave Kindred

Washington Post Staff Writers

Jan. 13, 1981

Joe Gibbs, San Diego Charger offensive coordinator, was hired as the new head coach of the Washington Redskins after a 3½-hour meeting last night in New York with owner Jack Kent Cooke and General Manager Bobby Beathard.

"Joe appeals to me because of his obvious dedication to the game," Cooke said of Gibbs after the meeting, which marked the first time he had talked to him. "I have confidence that Joe will provide the Redskins fans with a team that will stir the imagination, win or lose.

"And I believe his abilities match his ambitions. He's a pioneer in the game in as much as he recognized before others the perceptible change in the character of the game."

Cooke's reference was to the sophisticated San Diego passing attack the set NFL records the last two seasons with Gibbs calling the two plays.

Gibbs, 40, will replace Jack Pardee, who was fired by Cooke eight days ago after the owner decided to end a front office controversy by siding with Beathard and sacking his coach.

Cooke said Gibbs signed a multi-year contract, but refused to reveal its terms. But sources said it is a three-year contract starting at $100,000 a season.

It was reported yesterday that Cook's final approval was the only things between Gibbs and the Redskin job. Gibbs became the leading candidate after being recommended strongly by Beathard.

The Redskins had been prevented from talking to Gibbs by the Chargers' participation in the playoffs. That ended Sunday when San Diego lost to Oakland in the AFC championship game.

Gibbs said he "felt a number of things. I'm thankful to God for the body and mind to get a job like this. I feel a tremendous sense of responsibility and gratitude to Mr. Cooke. I want him to look back on this and say it was the best decision he ever made. I have a sense of urgency. I am ready and fired up."

After a morning press conference today, Gibbs and Beathard will go to Mobile, Ala., to scout college seniors participating in the North-South All-Star Game. They also will interview candidates for positions on the Redskin coaching staff.

"My first priorities are to get a staff together and talk to the Redskin players individually," Gibbs said. Sources have said Cooke is willing to spend "top dollar" to put together a top-notch staff.

Beathard had strongly recommended that Richie Petitbon, secondary coach under Pardee, be the new defensive coordinator and that move is expected to be made by Gibbs.

Beathard said he had known Gibbs for years and that he had "closely followed his career and I feel that he has prepared himself for this position as well or better than any coach in the NFL. He has a track record that speaks for itself. Besides being bright and a terrific Xs and Os man, Joe has demonstrated leadership.

"You can find a lot of fine assistant coaches but there are few assistants who can lead." Joe has an unusual talent to get along with players."

Gibbs, one of the most highly regarded offensive minds in the league, has been an assistant coach on the college and pro level for 17 years but has no head coach experience. The last two years, he served as the Chargers' offensive coordinator under Don Coryell.

Gibbs becomes the 17th head coach of the Redskins. He is inheriting a club that compiled a 6-10 record last season, its worst in 17 years. Washington has not been in the playoffs since 1976.

His hiring ends a short courtship by the Redskins, who first were attracted to him because of his work with the San Diego offense and his innovative reputation within the league.

But Cooke and Beathard didn't decide to sign Gibbs until they were convinced he has the motivational and teaching skills they believe are essential for improving the club. They also were impressed with his enthusiasm, his outgoing personality and his desire to work long hours. Cooke was openly critical of the Redskins' lack of emotion this season.

Cooke was determined to hire someone who not only could add life to an inconsistent offense but who could develop the young players Beathard wants to add to the roster the next few seasons

Cooke wants to make the Redskin games "fun for the fans" and he wants to see more passing and more progressive thinking on offense. Cooke was very impressed with the Chargers this season, especially because they were entertaining even when they lost.

Gibbs has felt the last five years that he was qualified to become a head coach in the NFL. His position was straightened especially this year, when the Chargers were the first team in league history to average 400 yards in offense and have three ends gain at least 1,000 yards receiving. Quarterback Dan Fouts also set league marks in three major passing categories.

While Coryell is credited with devising the Charger offense, which capitalizes on more stringent defensive rules, Gibbs has been responsible for refining and directing that attack. Fouts called him a genius.

Gibbs played tight end, linebacker and guard for Coryell at San Diego State from 1961-63 before starting his coaching career. He has coached under Coryell at San Diego State, under John McKay at Southern California and under Frank Broyles at Arkansas.

His first pro job was with St. Louis in 1973. He later moved to Tampa Bay before joining the Chargers in 1979.

Gibbs says he is excited about working with quarterback Joe Theismann, who has the rollout abilities that Fouts lacks. The Redskin offense had difficulty scoring last season and the club was the second-most penalized in the NFL although it passes for the most yards since 1967. Theismann had personal bests in passes, completions and yards gained.

Under Pardee, the Redskins attempted to develop a balanced attack, with emphasis on establishing a running game. The Chargers passed first and ran as an after thought. Gibbs said he anticipated using this offensive approach here next year.

Washington's defense is in better shape. The Redskins led the NFL in pass defense and were fourth in the NFC in total defense. They held down the Chargers in a 40-17 victory in December, their only defeat of a team with a winning record this season.

Although Beathard thinks his team can have a winning record next season, the Redskins still are going through a transition period. They had 16 players this year 30 or older, making them one of the league's oldest teams. Beathard anticipates having a much younger squad next season.

"That's why we need a teacher like Joe," he said. "We are going to have to bring along young players and help them get better very quickly. I'm very impressed with Joe's abilities in this area. He really knows how to bring the best out of the guys he's worked with."

Originally posted by wickedwitch

If you're assuming he'll side with Vinny, then I'd disagree. He worships Gibbs as much as we do.

One would hope so ...

I need to see it, before I believe it. I mean ... we all know how much Vinny has his head up Dan's arse ... so it'll be interesting.

Originally posted by wickedwitch

If you're assuming he'll side with Vinny, then I'd disagree. He worships Gibbs as much as we do.

One would hope so ...

I need to see it, before I believe it. I mean ... we all know how much Vinny has his head up Dan's arse ... so it'll be interesting.

Gibbs has final say who goes on the roster. That seals it. Here's how it'll go down:

Vinny: I want to sign Kordell Stuart at QB.

Danny: Hey... that sounds like a pretty good idea. Let's do that!

Joe: No way Kordell makes my roster.

Vinny: Alrighty. Nevermind, then.

Anyhow, these are grown, professional men we're talking about, and Gibbs is revered amongst them. There won't be many arguments between these three.

Gibbs has final say who goes on the roster. That seals it. Here's how it'll go down:

Vinny: I want to sign Kordell Stuart at QB.

Danny: Hey... that sounds like a pretty good idea. Let's do that!

Joe: No way Kordell makes my roster.

Vinny: Alrighty. Nevermind, then.

Anyhow, these are grown, professional men we're talking about, and Gibbs is revered amongst them. There won't be many arguments between these three.

Originally posted by Even Madder

Gibbs really is a genius. It's an incredible legacy that he set those passing records with Chargers, using only two plays. :silly:

So . . . what were the two plays?

Originally posted by Even Madder

Gibbs really is a genius. It's an incredible legacy that he set those passing records with Chargers, using only two plays. :silly:

So . . . what were the two plays?

Originally posted by Canyonero!

I don't think Snyder will side with Gibbs 100% of the time. Spurrier was who Snyder wanted so badly before Gibbs, yet he sided with Vinny on a number of different decisions.

I believe Snyder wanted Gibbs a few times before but couldn't persuade him at the time to come back. Also, Gibbs has an NFL pedigree, Spurrier did not.

Originally posted by Canyonero!

I don't think Snyder will side with Gibbs 100% of the time. Spurrier was who Snyder wanted so badly before Gibbs, yet he sided with Vinny on a number of different decisions.

I believe Snyder wanted Gibbs a few times before but couldn't persuade him at the time to come back. Also, Gibbs has an NFL pedigree, Spurrier did not.

Originally posted by NavyDave

Remember when Dr Evil's son tried to give dad his two cents and Dr Evil did the zzzt, Zip it??

Danny and Vinny: but why not?

Joe gibbus maximus: I can give you 3 reasons, looking at his ring fingers

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Originally posted by NavyDave

Remember when Dr Evil's son tried to give dad his two cents and Dr Evil did the zzzt, Zip it??

Danny and Vinny: but why not?

Joe gibbus maximus: I can give you 3 reasons, looking at his ring fingers

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Archived