Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My ideal off season

Chrisbob74

Coaching

Well, I've jumped into the Fassel camp on this one but I'm not against Green.

Assuming Fassel gets the job I'd like McGinnis as D coach and I'd hope Fassel brings McNally as OL coach with him from NY. Fassel as acted as his own offensive co ordinator in the past but I would like to feel there would be a role for Hue Jackson somewhere.

RFA's

Resign Ohalete to a 1st round tender.

McCants to a 5rd round tender. (I think we end up over paying him if we tender him a first round tender!!)

Pierce and Bryan Johnson to minimum tenders. If teams offer them a contract let them go!

UFA's

Franchise Champ.

Resign Friedman, Albright, Terell Holsey and Patrick Johnson.

Cuts

Larry Moore, Bryan Barker, Trung Candiate, Lionel Dalton and Byron Chamberlian are gone.

Trades

I can't see anybody offering a high pick for Gardener so I believe he will stay. I certainly wouldn't accept anything less than a high to mid 2nd round pick for him but I don't see it happening. This is part of the reason I don't offer McCants as high a tender, he may then get an offer and we can add a pick that way. I feel if Gardener was used in McCants slot, he would be much more effective (ie, mismatches on LB's and safeties)

If we acquire a 1st round pick this year for Champ, I assume it will be off a team in the mid to low first round (ie, Saints, Bengals) then I would trade down with the high pick (5th overall) a couple of spots to about 9th or 10th and add maybe a 3rd and a 5th or if we find a decent enough offer a 2nd round pick!

Free Agents

I can't help feeling we will go after Sapp, I hope not but I would not be surprised if it happened.

I do like the sound of Griffen from the Giants and if we do get Fassel it could give us a better chance of getting him. Gardener may be looked at as well if he is cut by Denver in June but I would only do a 1 year deal with him!

I'd like to see a veteran QB come in as back up as well, someone like Rich Gannon who Oakland may let go or someone similar. I see TH as the 3rd QB and Hamden on the practice squad again next season as he was a Spurrier project.

If Champ goes I go after Winfield or Plummmer at CB.

Draft

I'm assuming Champ has gone and we have an extra first rounder, for the sake of argument, if we acquire any extra picks for him I am taking it they will be in next years draft.

I have trade down a few spots in the first so I take Winslow jnr. I have said before I am no draft expert, I don't see much college ball but I like the sound of this guy, he could be our Shockey, plus he can block by all accounts. I have heard talk of attitude problems but it just sounds like he is a passionate guy. I think a good coach could keep him in check.

The other first rounder is spent on a DE, then my 2nd rounder on a DT.

With two 3rd rounders (I got a extra 3rd by trading down) I'd add a RB and then maybe a S or even another DE.

In the lower rounds I add a punter.

NFL Europe

I'd like to see some guys who have been close on to making the roster or who have actually been on a little go this time. The 'Skins in the past have underused this tool in developing players whereas other teams such as the Rams , Pats and Bucs have used it well.

A couple of names worth considering include Cliff Russell, Gilbran Hamden and Sultan.

General Roster

I believe a new coach will instantly improve our running game just by being commited to it and using his players correctly. Hence, I don't go mad to acquire a "star" running back. I give Betts a chance to win the job, prehaps competing with a mid round draft pick. I new line coach can take advatage of the run blocking talent we have on the line and an upgrade at TE should help the blocking as well.

At center I let Friedman and Flore fight it out for the job. I also give Winey a chance to show his play at the end of the season wasn't just a fluke, maybe Samuels will react well to the competition.

Assuming we have roughly the same set of receivers I would also like to see McCants, Jacobs and Gardener battle it out for the #2 receiver job.

Although Bowen was a bit disapointting at safety I would hope an upgraded DL would assist plus a years experience under his belt.

Of course, some players could become avaiable later on in the off season in the June cuts or as players and teams try to rework deals just before the start of the season. We could get some bargins then!

Ohalete is an average safety at best. Upgrading here should be right after the DL and finding a #3 corner to back up Champ and Smoot (assuming Champ is back).

Johnson is not a premiere fullback. We also need to upgrade ourselves at the point of attack, assuming we get a legitimate running back to tote the rock.

ALL of the tight ends are marginal players. I wouldn't be surprised to see them all gone. Maybe we keep Royal as he is a recent pick and signed for another year, but Chamberlain and Flemister are not starting quality players anywhere else.

Watching Chamberlain try to play at 270 pounds lumbering out for a little hook pass was enough to have me rolling around on the floor laughing.

What a tub of goo.

The defensive line is a collection of spare parts.

Really, you could cut 'em all and start over again and not miss a beat.

In reality the team will probably keep Wynn and a couple of the others to compete for spots in 2004, but Wynn is probably the only one of the group that could get a real shot somewhere else.

And we overpaid for him at 6 years and $20 million.

But, what else is new? :laugh:

I cut Candiate and Dalto to create cap room as niether has a cap hit. I felt friedman did a lot better than Moore at center (not hard.lol).

Candiate runs to tendatively for my liking, he dances around instead of hitting the hole hard and fast (behave.lol). Trung's speed means he could be a powerful runner if he wanted to be just by the fact his speed could generate a lot of momentum but I can;t ee him changing his game.

Dalton did play better down the stretch but I feel we can upgrade. I would keep him if he took a pay cut or turned some salary into incentives.

I don't think Ohalete or Bauman is a problem. They are solid players that make up the "middle class" bargains on well-coached squads. Bauman is still on his rookie contract and Ohalete should be cheap to resign, at least for this season. If the opportunity to uprage these spots presents itself, then fine. But we have bigger fish to fry for the time being.

The complete reconstruction of the defensive line will likely dominate our offseason efforts. Most of available cap room will be devoted to this purpose, leaving scraps for the other positions.

The good news: we can upgrade some of those other positions relatively cheaply. Fullbacks and tightends don't usually garner large contracts. Nor do punters, special teamers, and capable depth players.

We should be able to grab two starters from the draft, three if we're lucky. Which leaves about 5 starters to be signed through free agency (FB, TE, C, DE, DT... perhaps CB or LB, depending).

I think we should keep Friedman as a back up for O-line and Wynn should be the only starter staying on D-line with Zellner and Dalton staying as back-ups.

I too believe there's a good chance we go after Sapp. - as long as its not a long term deal and as long as its not huge doe.

Keep Iffy as a back up and maybe a better DB coach could help out Bowen- he seems to have potential.

If Champ goes we should go after Chris McAllister

Originally posted by chiefhogskin48

We should be able to grab two starters from the draft, three if we're lucky. Which leaves about 5 starters to be signed through free agency (FB, TE, C, DE, DT... perhaps CB or LB, depending).

Why FB? You have Cartwright at FB and even if you cut Johnson a FA FB shouldnt be hard to find.

Needs (in order) are

DT

DE

S depth

CB depth

RB

C

TE

Edit : Moore looked better than Lennie IMHO.

Archived