Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marty will not make any changes

Hauss

Redskins Coaches Will Remain

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, December 25, 2001; Page D1

Washington Redskins Coach Marty Schottenheimer said yesterday he has no plans to make any changes to his coaching staff or to add a general manager to work with him in the front office.

The Redskins probably will have internal discussions about both issues following the season and Schottenheimer's stance potentially could put him in disagreement with owner Daniel Snyder, sources close to the situation said. One source said that Snyder is leaning toward retaining Schottenheimer as his coach next season, but that's not certain yet and the final decision will be made after the season.

The outcome of the Redskins' final two games and Schottenheimer's willingness to change his coaching staff and the front office could be factors in Snyder's decision on whether to retain Schottenheimer following the season, according to sources.

Schottenheimer is completing the first season of his four-year, $10 million contract as the Redskins' head coach and director of football operations. But Sunday's 20-15 defeat to the Chicago Bears at FedEx Field gave the Redskins three losses in their past four games, dropped their record to 6-8 and eliminated them from playoff contention. Schottenheimer's job could be in jeopardy in the offseason, particularly if the Redskins lose their remaining two games, sources said.

Schottenheimer said yesterday he will not use the final two games – Sunday night at New Orleans and at home against the Arizona Cardinals on Jan. 6 – to groom young players, such as rookie quarterback Sage Rosenfels. Schottenheimer said he probably will stick with Tony Banks as the team's starting quarterback and continue to evaluate where Banks fits into the club's plans.

"This is very disappointing for all of us because we had, certainly, greater expectations," Schottenheimer said during his weekly news conference at Redskins Park. "But I know the important thing for all of us is the next two weeks, every decision we make, everything we do, every purpose we have is about winning football games. We're not in the mode of trying to play young players to develop them. That's the thing that you do during the offseason and during training camp or in the preseason. What we're about here is working our tails off to try to find a way to win each of those next two games."

Schottenheimer, who had led his teams to the playoffs in 11 of his 14 previous seasons as an NFL head coach, reiterated he was not worried about his job status.

"I've got a job," he said.

Following the news conference, Schottenheimer was asked if he intends to change his coaching staff and add a general manager to the team's front office, and he said: "I will not. Neither."

He said he believes the club can win with its current coaches and front office configuration. Snyder gave Schottenheimer total control of football operations when he hired him in January, and the coach hired John Schneider to head the club's scouting operations as vice president of player personnel. The Redskins do not have anyone with the title of general manager.

There seems to be sentiment within the organization to replace offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye. The Redskins are ranked 27th in the NFL in total offense and are averaging 14 points per game, second-worst in the league.

Many NFL executives believe Snyder would like to pursue Ron Wolf, who retired as the Green Bay Packers' general manager last offseason and lives in Annapolis, or other general manager candidates.

Schottenheimer decided last offseason to release fullback Larry Centers after the two clashed over Centers's approach to offseason workouts, and went into the season with Jeff George as the team's starting quarterback. Schottenheimer released George two games into the season and turned to Banks, who had been signed late in training camp.

Snyder declined to comment yesterday.

One person close to the situation said Schottenheimer and Snyder should be able to craft a compromise that would keep Schottenheimer as the team's coach next season with some changes, but added that is not certain. Schottenheimer won over many of his players following a rocky beginning to their relationship, and led the Redskins to five straight wins after they started the season with five consecutive losses. But they have slumped again since the five-game winning streak, losing at home to the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles and the Bears while winning only at Arizona.

"We had a chance to do what we needed to do, and we didn't do it," linebacker LaVar Arrington said following Sunday's game.

The Redskins have a 6-6 record with Banks as their starter. But he is the 12th-rated passer in the NFC and the Redskins are ranked next to last in the NFL in passing offense. Banks and veteran backup Kent Graham are among the 18 Redskins players eligible for unrestricted free agency in the offseason. The Redskins plan to try to upgrade at quarterback in the offseason but don't know if they will succeed, sources said, and could consider re-signing Banks or Graham to serve as a backup or compete for the starting job.

Schottenheimer said he will not consider Rosenfels, the club's fourth-round draft choice last spring, to start against the Saints, and added: "The probability is very high that Tony will be our starter."

Asked if he has seen enough of Banks to decide if the veteran ultimately can take the team where it wants to go, Schottenheimer said: "I'd like to see how he performs the last couple weeks. ‚. . . Anything that we can do that gives him the opportunity to play gives us a better opportunity to evaluate him."

The Redskins have been reduced to playing for a .500 record, pride and jobs next season.

"I don't have a whole lot of experience in this situation," Schottenheimer said. "But I do know this: We will find out – and I think favorably – about our professionalism. ‚. . . The players are giving everything they've got. I cannot ask for more from any player than what has been given to us throughout this entire season. We've just come up short in a number of situations and in this league, that's just the way it is."

Redskins Notes: Schottenheimer said he thinks middle linebacker Kevin Mitchell, who was sidelined Sunday because of a sprained ankle, has a 50 percent chance to be ready to play against the Saints.

© 2001 The Washington Post Company

Then Marty must go plain and simple.

Changes must be made, especially on the offensive side of the ball. If Marty refuses to be flexible then Dan should fire his *** .

Marty shoulders the responsibility for the failure of 2001 Skins. He made blunders as head coach and gm that prevented 2001 from being what could'be been.

If he thinks we can keep everything the same and do better in 2002; then he doesn't have a clue and need to be dismissed.

unfortunately, I am just not sure what Marty would do with the quarterback position, and the offense in general, if left to his own devices.

I would like to believe he realizes qb is the most important position on the offensive unit and that to get the greatest productivity from the position having a full-time, established quarterbacks coach is a valuable tool.

The Redskins don't have the infrastructure to support the growth of a player the way Walsh and Co. have developed Jeff Garcia the past two seasons.

Marty to me has the capability of being another Tony Dungy type, ie fielding a strong defense and muddling through with incomplete or ill-fitting parts on offense.

What I want to avoid happening is seeing the Redskins become chronic 9-7 type finishers with the inability to ever rise above the fray and win 11, 12, 13 games.

I have serious doubts that Marty is the coach or GM to get this team that far.

A serious move on his part to address the team's current lagging rankings in most offensive categories would be welcome as a first step.

The article indicates that Marty is still in denial that there are any real or long-lasting problems with the organization of the staff and players on the offensive side of the ball.

For a coach that has never been to or won a Super Bowl Schottenheimer is the most publicly confident and ****y coach I have seen come down the pike in quite some time.

Unfortunately, when you predict your team will contend for the NFC Title and it is languishing at 6-8 after 14 games, people will start to doubt your credibility.

I think Marty's ego as coach gets in the way of him being an objective GM. How else can you explain the Jeff George situation. Jimmy Raye isn't the only offensive coach that needs to go. Lets say the Skins sign a vetran Qb in the off season--can you see Brian S. schooling him. Or the Skins draft a Qb--could Brian S. take him to the next level?I think during the season that someome could have told Banks that it is ok to look at more then one receiver.I would love to have a GM, anew Qb coach and a new OC.

[edited.gif by Hauss on December 25, 2001.]

It's official, Marty sucks!

We are relyig on his past. Instead his stubborness, like Tony Banks use of his experiences, clashes with the the one or two things we need. Another OC or drastic change in the OC's system and definitely a GM. When you have a GM, he will signal either something positive on player personnel and the systems used or he will make a coach take a hike!

Is this what Marty fears?? Since Dan Snyder can't tell that Marty may not really be fixing the wagon to go all the way, because he doesn't know how? After all has he ever been?

Yes. Since a GM will not stand for a Jimmy Raye after 5 games into the season. It was the DEFENSE LED BY DARRELL< BRUCE<ARRINGTON< AND LANG! Not the offense or even Jimmy Raye. It was the defense that kept the folks in the game. Aside from moving Lang, which isn't always best, and having David Terrell start instead of Stevens (which the whole world knew), Marty really hasn't done that much with a crew that wasn't the cancer. It was the offense last year (after all where is Johnson, Norv, Robiskie, AC, T. Johnson, etc?), so that was obvious. The truth is, this team was gonna go 8-8 or worse again, even if a child led them.

Marty, it looks like the one stamp you put on the team was character, but then again, now that I think about it, they had a leader, with 6-8 producers already starting (Darrell Green, Arrington). Not sure now you did anything that made that much of a difference on the D. It is the offense you CAN"T fix, and don't intend to. I know why.

Hold on guys, we have 2 more games this season, lets win those and if we don't, hope Banks plays poorly so he is gone for sure.

My main point is this. How many times in the offseason last year did MArty lead everyone one direction only to change direction and go another. If he is retained, and he should be, I say give him the offseason to make changes before you hang the man. I also believe Raye should be gone and Wolf brought in if he will.

If Dan fires Marty he will have more trouble getting a good coach in here. Marty needs to be here next year, plain and simple, he has started this rebuilding project even if they will not call it that. I say give him one more season, but atleast give the man the offseason to make changes before you hang him.

Hail Skins

First, does anyone really think marty is going to tell the mediots the truth?

Is he going to tell them, with two games to go, "yes I'm going to kick Tony Banks @ss out on the curb, and Raye's getting the other foot all the way up to the knee?"

I don't think so. Remember how he'd praise this guy or that guy back in pre-season, and next thing you knew he was cut? Quite simply, he isn't going to discuss his plans for the coaching staff, the team or Qb position with the media.

At least I'm hoping this is the correct reasoning. smile.gif

As I said elsewhere (CPND), I think the only two truly glaring mistakes he's made as GM were cases where his coaching arrogance interfered with his GM responsibilities. The head coach thinks he can teach anyone; including head cases such as Jeff George and never-wases such as Tony Banks. That's the weakness I see with Marty as coach/GM.

If Snider were to can Marty and staff, it'd would have major repercussions. What competent coach, and even some incompetent coaches, would even talk to snider much less consider coaching for him? marty was given "total control" by Snider. Snider has to give him another year or else face maybe never getting a real coach.

Now if the skins had gone 3-13 or 4-12 after the 0-5 start, then maybe snider could dump Marty. But if they go 7-9 or 8-8 (I doubt 8-8) Marty must come back for a second year. If marty wants to hitch his wagon to Banks, then you can fire him after another mediocre year. but Marty must be given the chance.

Archived