Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking forward to the draft

Lavarleap56

Alright i am out of my drunk state of mind i was in last night and i need to apoligize for some of the statements i made so im sorry to everyone. i woke up this morning and i am still a die hard redskin fan regardless of what happens from here on out because as much as the team can get on my nerves and make me angry to no end i still love them like i have since i watched my first game when i was five years old GO Redskins! And with that looking forward to the draft and looking for ways for this team to improve.

slotting by records heading into week 17-

1) San Diego-3-12

2) Arizona- 3-12

3) Detroit-4-11

4) Clevland-4-11

5)Oakland-4-11

6) New York-4-11

7) Atlanta- 4-11

8)Houston-5-10

9)Jax-5-10

10)Redskins-5-10

SCHEDULE ----

Saturday, Dec. 27

Buffalo at New England, 1:30 pm

Seattle at San Francisco, 5:15 pm

Philadelphia at Washington, 8:30 pm

Sunday, Dec. 28

Chicago at Kansas City, 1:00 pm

Cleveland at Cincinnati, 1:00 pm

Dallas at New Orleans, 1:00 pm

Indianapolis at Houston, 1:00 pm

Jacksonville at Atlanta, 1:00 pm

N.Y. Jets at Miami, 1:00 pm

St. Louis at Detroit, 1:00 pm

Tampa Bay at Tennessee, 1:00 pm

Carolina at N.Y. Giants, 4:05 pm

Minnesota at Arizona, 4:05 pm

Denver at Green Bay, 4:15 pm

Oakland at San Diego, 4:15 pm

Pittsburgh at Baltimore, 8:30 pm

The highest i think we can get is eighth depending on who wins and loose this week .In my opinion i think if Champ is traded the most likely spot for him to go would be Detroit and Atlanta which could possibly give us two picks in the top ten now what do we do with the picks is the question.The teams needs and what they are scouting for to give you guys the heads up are RB,TE,OLB,FS,TE, and CB. Looking at that and takeing the D-Lineman out of the equation because we will go that route in free agency which player or players do you think will benefit this team the most and state why.

Here are some of the players who could possibly be a help to the team----

Full Name: Kevin Jones School: Virginia Tech

Ht: 5-11.5 Wt: 220 40: 4.41 Number: 25

Bio:

2002: Rushed for 871 net yards and nine touchdowns on 160 carries, also caught four passes for 21 yards. Had three solo tackles on special teams. Left the Pittsburgh game early with a strained hamstring then missed time the Syracuse game with that injury.

2001: Played in every game as a true freshman, starting the last three regular season games and the Gator Bowl. Finished with 957 yards rushing and five touchdowns on 175 carries, setting a new VT record for freshmen. Averaged 5.5 yards per rush and caught six passes for 47 yards.

The Good: Explosive runner with great elusiveness, speed, and athleticism. Runs with good lean and balance, keeps his footing after the initial hit. Patient, sees the field and quickly gets through the open spots on the defense. Sets up defenders then makes them miss at the line or down the field. Fast enough to run outside of tackle yet tough enough to handle the ball on the inside. Great running back build.

The Bad: Had trouble with minor nicks and bruises in the past which have sidelined him. Shared the ball with the talented Lee Suggs last season. An afterthought in the passing game.

The Skinny: Jones is a great combination of innate abilities, football skills, and physical stature. His athleticism leads one to believe he can be used in a variety of offensive systems that rely on running the ball. While his hands need to be developed and he needs to hold onto the football, Jones is a solid prospect that will be an early draft pick in time.

Full Name: Kellen Winslow Jr School: Miami-Fl

Ht: 6-2 Wt: 249 40: 4.52 Number: 81

Bio:

2002: First-team All-Big East pick in his first season as the starter when he compiled the most productive receiving year ever by a Miami tight end, exceeding marks set by Glenn Dennison (54 for 594 in 1983) and Jeremy Shockey (7 TD catches in 2001). Led the team in receptions with 57 catches for 726 yards and eight touchdowns, averaging 12.7 yards per catch. Second on the team in receiving yards (726). Team’s leading receiver in six games.

2001: One of four true freshmen to play and moved to tight end during the season after starting out as a wide receiver.

The Good: Tremendous athlete and a great football player that's a "chip off the old block". Fluid releasing off the line, runs like a receiver and an effective route runner that gets separation. Extends for the pass, displays great eye/hand coordination and looks the ball in. Possesses both soft and strong hands with the ability to pluck the ball from the air or make the tough, acrobatic catch in a crowd with regularity. Explosive and makes a lot of plays deep into the secondary. Runs well laterally, catches the pass in stride and effective running after the reception. Breaks down well and quick in all aspects.

The Bad: Slowed by jams at the line of scrimmage. Not strong at the point and has difficulty blocking linebackers, though that area of his game has improved.

The Skinny: Winslow, like his father, is indeed a rare specimen justifying the label a "special player". Linebackers cannot run with him and safety's will be over-powered by Winslow. Though he gets minimal results blocking it is not from lack of effort. Then again, to be truthful, anyone who drafts Winslow will not be doing so for his blocking prowess. A great player presently with an abundant amount of upside for the next level.

Full Name: Karlos Dansby School: Auburn

Ht: 6-3 Wt: 231 40: 4.57 Number: 11

Bio:

2002: Associated Press and Coaches First-Team All-SEC selection. Led the team with 14 tackles for loss and 4 sacks. Second on the team with 3 interceptions and 9 quarterback hurries and fourth on the team with 76 tackles.

2001: Finished the season third on the team with 59 tackles including 8 tackles for loss. Led the team with 5 interceptions.

2000: Partial qualifier that practiced but could not play.

The Good: Explosive and exciting playmaking defender with a tremendous amount of upside potential for the next level at a variety of linebacker positions. Displays a good head for the play, immediately keys or diagnoses the action then locates the ball. Disciplined, stays with assignments and tough. Holds his ground against blocks by bigger lineman or defeats them and not afraid to mix it up. Easily stays with running back in pass coverage, displays great footwork and excellent speed. Quick getting to the flanks in run defense. Immediately alters his angle of attack or changes direction, fires up the field and has a burst of closing speed in every direction. Very sudden, explosive and quickly flashes on the scene. Strong at the point and brings ball carriers down on initial contact.

The Bad: Tall and slender, which initially gives him problems handling blocks. More built up speed rather than first step quickness.

The Skinny: A terrific athlete, Dansby impacted the Auburn defense from the day he stepped on the field. He could play either of the outside linebacker positions and though he may take a little time getting adjusted to the strength of the NFL opponents, a quality every down defender for the future and very high pick next April.

Full Name: DeAngelo Hall School: Virginia Tech

Ht: 5-10.5 Wt 195 40: 4.35

Year: 3Jr Number: 4

Bio:

2002: Started 10 games at cornerback and also returned punts. Ranked seventh in the nation in punt returns, averaging 16.0 yards per return, had a long of 71 yards and scored twice on returns. Posted 54 tackles, four interceptions, 12 passes broken up and a forced fumble. Posted the fastest forty time ever for a Tech football player with a spring timing of 4.15 on Tech's indoor track.

2001: Turned in the fastest 40-yard dash among the freshmen at 4.37 in preseason strength and conditioning testing , also bench pressed 300 pounds. Played in all 11 games, starting one and had 42 tackles on the year, three pass breakups and three interceptions.

The Good: Explosive athlete with game breaking speed and the abilities to impact the game on defense or special teams. Displays a great break on the pass as well as closing and recovery speed. Loses nothing transitioning off the line and stays step-for-step with opponents anywhere on the field. Works to break up the pass and gives effort in run support. Tremendous return skills and breaks the game wide open when the ball is in his hands. Competent as a receiver that cleanly catches the pass.

The Bad: Could improve his footwork and stay in the backpedal longer. Must be quicker picking up the action mentally as he's slow locating the ball in the air. Confident to the point of being arrogant.

The Skinny: Hall has been on a straight ride up draft boards with his play this season. His defensive game has improved in every area and Hall has become a lethal special teams player. Learning better corner technique, expect Hall to be a very early draft choice in the near future.

Full Name: Marlin Jackson School: Michigan

Ht: 6-0 Wt 190 40: 4.38

Year: 3Jr Number: 3

Bio:

2002: All-America second team, All-Big Ten first team and Jim Thorpe Award candidate. Started all 13 games at cornerback, setting both the single game and single season pass breakup records six and 18 respectively. Totaled 51 tackles with three interceptions.

2001: Played in 11 games as a true freshman and started seven contests. Led the team and tied for eighth in the Big Ten with three interceptions. Tied for second on the squad with seven pass defenses and was sixth with 47 tackles.

The Good: Athletic, playmaking defensive back with the abilities to immediately alter the tide of a game. Technically sound, stays in his backpedal and follows receivers out of their routes. Explosive break on the pass with a great move on the ball and possesses tremendous burst of closing speed. Easily runs downfield with opponents, displays top recovery speed and works well with safety's. Reads the play, fights hard to break up throws and supports the run.

The Bad: Gambles on the play, losing on occasion and gives up the long gainer. Several off-the-field issues have come to light recently. Not having the junior campaign expected or taking his game to the next level and as a result, dropping down boards.

The Skinny: It is fair to say Jackson has Charles Woodson type talent though he does not seem as focused as the former Wolverine. At the top of his game Jackson sits atop the cornerback charts and has the physical tools that warrant an early selection. Unfortunately his priorities have seemingly been out of joint lately and it is costing Jackson in the eyes of NFL scouts.

Would like to get Michael Boulware in the second round as well could be a steal

Originally posted by lavarleap56

The highest i think we can get is eighth depending on who wins and loose this week .In my opinion i think if Champ is traded the most likely spot for him to go would be Detroit and Atlanta which could possibly give us two picks in the top ten now what do we do with the picks is the question.The teams needs and what they are scouting for to give you guys the heads up are RB,TE,OLB,FS,TE, and CB. Looking at that and takeing the D-Lineman out of the equation because we will go that route in free agency which player or players do you think will benefit this team the most and state why.

To answer your question, if Washington gets two high picks in the draft, they should address the running game for both sides of the ball. If we're taking DL out of the equation, they'll need to look at the next level, the linebackers. I personally don't feel any of the LB prospects warrant top 10 consideration, especially ones that are effective against the run. In that case, Taylor is a consideration, but I don't feel the secondary is that much of an issue to spend that high a pick on Taylor. However, having multiple high picks could afford them the luxury of drafting Taylor. In your scenario, I'd honestly go offense, offense (RB and TE). But...

Here's my problem with that line of thinking regarding Champ Bailey: if a team such as Detroit is already drafting in the top 10, it's unlikely that they are only one player away from contending. It makes very little sense for a team in that position to mortgage their draft picks for a player that isn't likely to put them over the top. Detroit, for example, has pressing needs in their offensive backfield and and their other skill positions.

Atlanta is admittedly a trickier team to read. The Falcons are apparently reliant on one player to be competitive. If that is the case, I'd imagine they'd be better served using picks to 1) protect that one player (Vick) and 2) surround him with another weapon or two. They shouldn't have much trouble luring one of the many unrestricted FA CBs down to Atlanta either.

In my opinion, Bailey is more appealing to teams like Kansas City, Carolina, Tennessee, Tampa Bay--teams that won't necessarily have high draft picks but may need help at the corner position and are competitive enough right now that such a player may get them to the next level. Even with that, again, there will be several free agent corners on the market that will be available. In addition, some of the teams mentioned previously have cap issues and won't be willing or able to pay Bailey as the top corner.

Washington could try a team with multiple picks. The only one that comes to mind immediately is New England who I'd imagine would be willing to move some picks. However, New England is one of the older teams in the league, something they can address through the draft and they also already have the highest paid cornerback in the league on their roster. How likely is it for them to tie up that kind of money in one position?

What I'm trying to get at in my rambling is that I'm not sure how easy it will be for Washington to simply tag Bailey and expect teams to freely throw picks in their direction. Part of my reasoning is because of dumb luck in regards to the number of free agent corners that will be on the market. The other part is that teams may be a little gun shy on giving away multiple draft picks even for a player as young and talented as Bailey. Not impossible and not even unlikely, mind you, but I don't expect Bailey to another H. Walker or S. Gilbert.

Plus, Washington still needs to free up the money to use the franchise tag on Bailey and then there's the problem of replacing Bailey in the lineup. But I've rambled enough. :)

Sean Taylor is the player we should pick if he is available. Go DL in round 2 if any are worthy of the pick. If not look at RB and TE in that 2nd round. DL are very risky 1st round picks, especially with this very, very weak draft class. Rather look to FA to fill that hole.

Archived