Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting tidbit

OrangeSkin

Before kickoff, some guy who claimed to know Terry Robiske was talking to me. He claimed Robiske told him that everybody within the orginization hates Westbrook, including the players.

I couldn't tell if he was telling the truth (most likely not), but still interesting.

Westbrook's presence on this team is clearly secondary to the consideration of who we settle on as the starting quarterback for 2002.

Westbrook will likely be looking for a healthy deal in any event and I would be loathe to make him any promises before we know who will be throwing him the football.

It may be that the new quarterback and Westbrook are not a good fit. It may be that a receiver from the quarterback's old team is also available and the Redskins can bring him in here to ease the transition.

The truth is you can't put the cart before the horse. Qb first, receivers and tight ends second.

If Westbrook gets a large deal to open the free agent period then I would let him go.

Re-signing Michael is an option only if it makes sense for the team going forward.

We can't consider the investment in him to this point. That connection ends with his contract in January.

We need to move on, either to a new deal with him or in a new direction with a new #1 receiver.

We will regret releasing Westy. Gardner will become our poor mans Westy drawing the number one CB and not producing at all untl he takes it to the next level.

Who will be the 2k2 number two receiver?Lockett? Derrius is a free agent.

I guess we try our luck with Skaggs or D Mac.

------------------

Take A Sip of the Marty KoolAid and Believe.

Fox showed more downfield coverage than in previous games (in fact, quite a bit more). I was astounded by the fact that we had open WRs all the time. No...they weren't standing alone, waving their arms, but a capable QB could have hit them. a) That slant to Westbrook was beautiful. B) It was available more than once. c) I wish Gardner had made that long reception - it would have taken a circus catch, but that's what you gets the big bucks for.

I'm begining to believe that Westbrook could be more productive with a decent QB. But I'm still not sure that overcomes all his negatives.

Carl,

What are Westbrook's negatives?

I'm not saying he's Jerry Rice, and surely he is more proficient in some areas than others, but I don't see any "negatives" with him.

Having heard nothing to the contrary, he's been a pretty solid citizen the last 3 years, so I don't consider there to be off-field issues with him.

He's been healthy for the most part this year. I guess his history of knee problems could be a negative.

He's the leading receiver on a team that has largely ignored him this year. I wonder what his numbers would be if they had made a concerted effort to get him the ball.

I hope they resign him. I just don't see it happening. If he gets on a team with a good QB, and he stays healthy, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see his production explode (75-90 catches, 1300-1500 yards, 12+ TDs).

all you have to do is watch Tim Brown run pass patterns to realize how ordinary the Redskins receivers are in terms of their knowledge of the game and their discipline in route running.

Westbrook is not a natural football player. He is a superior athlete who happens to catch a football for a living. He is like Bob Hayes was in that regard. He is not a student of the game, a guy like Brown or Wayne Chrebet or Jerry Rice that lives, sleeps, eats and breathes football and puts in the time to improve his craft.

Westbrook is essentially the same player he has always been. Yes, his attitude has improved and he has managed to stay healthy this season, but he is still very raw when you look at his game. And that is a shame that after 7 years in the NFL he still makes rookie mistakes in lining up and in the footwork on some of his patterns.

He also does not have sure hands, which puts him more in the category of a #2 receiver than a true #1.

On third and 5 I am not at all confident that Michael is going to run a route deep enough to get the first down on a regular basis and then follow through by holding onto the ball.

Too many times he has disappointed us just as we started counting on him.

But for this season he is the best receiver on the roster. He is more experienced than Gardner and just has more talent than Lockett and the other backups.

The fact he has just 45 catches is a travesty.

While I might count on Lockett or even one of the tight ends to pick up a short yardage first down, there is no question that Westbrook should have been used to stretch the defenses all along.

Instead they had him on the field as a scarecrow.

The offense is asleep at the wheel, there is no direction. You can tell that by the offsides penalties, poor clock management/use of timeouts, miscues in the red zone and in the fourth quarter, blown protection schemes, etc.......

the unit is just not sharp. the details have not been sweated so to speak. Since Marty talks about how hard the players and coaches work every week it just has to be that the Redskins have a group of stupid players that just can't seem to do these things correctly no matter how many times they are gone over.

Otherwise, if it weren't for Marty's protestations on behalf of the assistants, I would say it was poor coaching and preparation that is dogging the offense as well as the limitations of Mr. Banks.

Make no mistake. Mr. Banks has made his mistakes. But he didn't get flagged for illegal procedure 3 times in Eagles territory. He didn't get flagged 2 times for wide receiver holding in the same game.

Stupid penalties. Drive killers.

That is the 2001 Redskins, one step forward, two steps back. frown.gif

Archived