Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chicago Tribune:`Ball coach' prepared rookie

TK

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/7524744.htm

`Ball coach' prepared rookie

BY DAVID HAUGH

Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO - (KRT) - To hear Rex Grossman tell it, the only person more responsible than Washington Redskins coach Steve Spurrier for getting Grossman to the NFL might be his mom. She's the one who made Grossman visit the University of Florida his junior year in high school on the way home from a trip to Florida State in Tallahassee. By now, the story of how Grossman talked his way into Spurrier's office and watched film with the "Ball Coach,'' has become Gator legend.

"That story has had a life of its own,'' Grossman said of the day he met the former Florida head coach.

Spurrier saw a lot of the same things in Grossman's NFL debut last Sunday against the Vikings that he says were obvious on that high school videotape.

"He was bouncing around like he usually does, excited to play, obviously, and that enthusiasm sort of spreads throughout the team,'' Spurrier said. "He made some good throws and had some balls he had to throw away, so his percentages weren't real super. But other than that he had a pretty good game.''

Grossman, who proclaimed himself "a Redskin fan,'' last year at Florida, wants to have an even better game against the guy who taught him the nuances of playing quarterback.

"He showed me little details about the position, how to beat defenses, how to look off defenders, everything a young quarterback can learn coming out of high school,'' Grossman said. "He really got me ready for where I am right now.''

---

BARNARD TO KICK OFF

Newly signed punter Brooks Barnard has been working on his kickoffs and expects to kick off Sunday against the Redskins. Paul Edinger's struggles kicking off deep opened the door to Barnard, who was set to handle kickoffs as a senior at Maryland in 2002 before an injury four days before the season.

Guard Chris Villarrial practiced Wednesday and said he will play Sunday. Quarterback Chris Chandler, tight end Desmond Clark, left tackle Mike Gandy, safety Mike Green and defensive tackle Keith Traylor are listed as questionable.

Defensive coordinator Greg Blache can't be accused of grandstanding to get a head coaching job. Asked if he expects to interview in the off-season for one of the expected NFL vacancies, Blache said, "I hope not. That'll be during hunting season. What I hope to do in this off-season is start getting this team ready for next season."

---

© 2003, Chicago Tribune.

Archived