Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

States are banning books in prisons that criticize policing against black men

Gamebreaker

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/05/23/this-book-criticizes-racism-justice-system-arizona-prisoners-arent-allowed-read-it/?utm_term=.92fb5104854e

'The author of a book critiquing the criminal justice system has an assignment for the state corrections department that just banned his work: Read it.

Chokehold: Policing Black Men” by Paul Butler is an award-winning, critically acclaimed 256-page treatise on the racism in America’s ways of policing, prosecuting and punishing. And if you’re an inmate in an Arizona prison, you won’t be able to find a copy.

The Arizona Department of Corrections banned the book earlier this year, claiming its contents are “detrimental to the safe, secure, and orderly operation” of the state’s penitentiaries. But the policy has prompted both condemnation and threats of legal action, and critics say it amounts to unlawful and mean-spirited censorship.'

In addition to Arizona, North Carolina and New Jersey also banned "The New Jim Crow" from their prisons, which they were sued and it has since been reversed. Texas bans a lot of books, except Hitler's Mein Kampf and two books written by David Duke. 

They really allow Mein Kampf in prison?  Radicalization in prison is hardly a new concept we’re only just learning about.  

If I ran a prison I would probably want to ban everything that pushed radical political agendas, promoted racism, or argued that the world was somehow to blame for inmates winding up in prison.  I would also seek to treat inmates a hell of a lot better, because I don’t think you can prepare people to turn their lives around and thrive in a free world by treating them like animals.  I also wonder what effect there is to prison guards if their job revolves almost entirely around negative interactions intended to keep prisoners in line.  I doubt it makes them friendlier people.

Needless to say, I would never be allowed to run a prison. 

Archived