Extremeskins

Skins.com:Doman Joins Redskins' Practice Squad

TK

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12380

Doman Joins Redskins' Practice Squad

12/10/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

It’s often been said that Redskins quarterback is one of the most important positions in Washington, D.C. So the signing of quarterback Brandon Doman to the Redskins’ practice squad this week, while not a major move, requires a little more than just a passing mention.

Consider that Tim Hasselbeck was unemployed just seven weeks ago and now he’s the Redskins’ starting quarterback.

“I look at Tim and here he is, coming in off the street and all of a sudden he’s starting,” Doman said. “So it’s a matter of being in the right place and the right time and playing well. That’s easier said than done, obviously.”

Doman, 6-1 and 210 pounds, spent the entire 2002 season with the San Francisco 49ers as the third quarterback. He was drafted by the 49ers out of Brigham Young in the fifth round of the 2002 NFL Draft.

Doman joined the Buffalo Bills’ practice squad for the 2003 season but was released in mid-October. That’s when he had his first tryout with the Redskins. He has stayed in touch with the coaching staff periodically the last few weeks before officially signing with the team on Wednesday.

“All I know is, I’m real hungry to show people what I can do,” Doman said. “I have a long way to go. I want to learn, so I’m going to take a little [advice] from everybody and do what I can.

“This is a chance for coaches to evaluate me more. I’m on the practice squad, but I’m going to treat it like it’s a do-or-die situation. I’m going to learn the offense as well as I can in three weeks and see what happens [in the offseason].”

Roster Moves

The Redskins signed rookie linebacker Clifton Smith to the team’s 53-man roster. Smith, 6-3 and 225 pounds, was an undrafted rookie from Syracuse and had spent the entire 2003 season on the team’s five-player practice squad. Smith took Larry Moore's roster spot; Moore was placed on injured reserve on Tuesday.

The team also signed defensive lineman Greg White to take Smith’s place on the practice squad. White, 6-3 and 278 pounds, has spent time on the practice squads of New Orleans, Tennessee, Atlanta and Tampa Bay. A three-year starter at the University of Minnesota, he originally entered the NFL as a seventh-round selection by the Houston Texans in the 2002 NFL Draft.

Doman is a decent prospect, although slightly overaged at 27. He will beat out Hamsandwich next year. Doman is a high percentage passer from BYU. Athough Hamsandwich has a strong arm, he is too much of a scatter arm.

Clifton Smith I think is Kevin Mitchell's replacement next year. At 33 next year I doubt if Mitchell will be resigned again. Smith is a good prospect too from Syracuse, with real good size. :)

Archived