Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else think Morton deserves more touches?

TankRizzo

Hell yeah he needs more touches. He's capable of being an every down back IMO. Size means didily only when you're talking about short yardage. Warrick Dunn could handle the load so why can't he. He might be short, but he plays big. TankRizzo, that "running with purpose" that you're talking about, that's called acceleration.

Originally posted by great28

Hell yeah he needs more touches. He's capable of being an every down back IMO. Size means didily only when you're talking about short yardage. Warrick Dunn could handle the load so why can't he. He might be short, but he plays big. TankRizzo, that "running with purpose" that you're talking about, that's called acceleration.

Exactly. Dunn has held up pretty well for a small guy. According to ESPN.com Warrick has an inch on Morton but Chad has a good 10lbs more than Dunn.

The acceleration is nice as well, Trung has decent acceleration as well, but he takes too long in making his decisions from what I've seen. All of the big plays he's had seem to have been to the outside where he hasn't had to hit a hole. Morton gets to the hole and blows through it where Trung kind of waffles a bit before he hits it.

Originally posted by Cleotis

where is dunn right now?

chad is doing well as change of pace guy.

How many RBs in general make it through a season without getting hurt? The "he's too little" excuse is nothing more than an excuse. Look at Stephen Davis for crying out loud, he was ALWAYS hurt.

Originally posted by KTrainSkinsFan

I think he should be used more often. He seems to be able to make plays for us. I agree that, at the end of runs, he always seems to be affected by the defensive punishment. At some point though, you just have to go with what is working, and he seems to gain good yardage on every touch.

Exactly. He's been effective every time I've seen him out there and you know he would love more carries. There's no sense in treating him like a piece of fine china if he's working well. Anyhow, it's a tad late in the season to be bickering over this anyhow.

Dunn has never been an everydown back. He's split touches with Alstott and Duckett and he's still had injury problems.

Anyway, that's beyond the point. The original question was "Should Morton get more touches?" I would say yes. I don't think Tank meant that we should pound Chad 30 times a game.

I say yes on more touches as a 3rd down/change of pace guy.

Personally, I think Morton and Rock are our two best running backs.

They keep producing. Rock isn't really small. He's just short. Morton has always produced. He's Warrick Dunn with better juke ability. I do think Warrick has faster striaightlline speed.

We should close out the year playing Morton and Rock. And, let's see what Hasselbeck brings to the table against some good defenses.

I'd like to see some plays designed specifically to get Morton the ball in space. Too many times he has been given the ball straight up the gut. He's shifty as hell and can usually avoid the big hit, but I don't like sending him up the gut.

In fact, Spurrier seems inclined to send both our fast, small tailbacks straight up the gut. I'd like to see more toss sweeps early in the game that would force CB's to make tackles and wear them down.

Not only is Chad pretty small, but he has trouble picking up the blitz. The past few weeks I have been impressed how our backs, Rock in particular, has met the blitzing linebacker/safety in the hole and really hit him. Morton would have trouble doing this and maintaining the block.

Right now Spurrier is doing a nice job using Chad. You have to pick your spots with him for it to be effective.

Originally posted by Newera

Personally, I think Morton and Rock are our two best running backs.

They keep producing. Rock isn't really small. He's just short. Morton has always produced. He's Warrick Dunn with better juke ability. I do think Warrick has faster striaightlline speed.

We should close out the year playing Morton and Rock. And, let's see what Hasselbeck brings to the table against some good defenses.

Newera,

Great minds think alike. I totally agree. He might not be an every down back, but I definitely think he and Rock should get more carries as the season comes to a close. As of late Trung is looking better than he did earlier in the season, but I still don't think he's quite the answer for our offense. I'd like to see Chad touch it about 15 times a game.

Maptastic,

I don't know about sending him around the corner as where he's been more effective going up the gut. Just the opposite for Trung though. He seems to open up going to the sidelines. It's almost as if he's coming off an exit ramp when he goes around the end.

Cleotis,

I got better question for you: Where is Alstott now? I haven't heard his name in a while.

Originally posted by great28

I don't know about sending him around the corner as where he's been more effective going up the gut. Just the opposite for Trung though. He seems to open up going to the sidelines. It's almost as if he's coming off an exit ramp when he goes around the end.

It drives me nuts to see Canidate only get one or two carries to the outside a game....arrrrgh.

Morton can be effective up the gut. He's shown it, while Canidate seems to pretty ineffective going up the gut.

Morton is light years faster than Dunn or Canidate. Morton is a lot like Sproles at Kansas State. Small, darting, and quick.

I could see Morton getting about 10-15 carries a game if he is used right, but I don't think our coaches will be giving him that chance.

Either way, we have to start giving more carries to someone other than Canidate, who is not going to be a long term answer to us at RB. I don't even think he is a short term answer for us.

Archived