Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA TODAY reporter Jarrett Bell chat excerpt

bubba9497

NFL: Jarrett Bell

Monday, Dec. 8, noon, ET

USA TODAY reporter Jarrett Bell is here to tackle all your questions regarding the latest action and other issues kicking around the NFL.

http://cgi1.usatoday.com/mchat/20031208002/tscript.htm

Dale City, VA: Is the old ball coach ( Steve Spurrier) going to be given another season to put the fun and gun in D.C. Football? Do you think Marvin Lewis as head coach could have done better in Washington?

Jarrett Bell: Yes, I think Marvin Lewis could have done better than Steve Spurrier, if given the chance to be the Redskins' head coach. But then I'd wonder what type of offense he would have fielded (maybe one with Stephen Davis in the mix?). Look at how Lewis has improved the Bengals.

All that said, I think Spurrier should definitely be given another season OR more to try to work his program. It takes time. Unfortunately, the Redskins have had so many changes over the years they never seem to get a chance to establish much (for instance: 5 years, 5 defensive coordinators). Although you can question so many things about the way Spurrier has done his work, the best thing about a gloomy situation with the 'Skins is that they haven't quit and have played competitively down the stretch of another lost season.

Archived