Extremeskins

WP:McAllister's Gains Leave Redskins at Another Loss

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23955-2003Nov30.html

McAllister's Gains Leave Redskins at Another Loss

By Tarik El-Bashir

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, December 1, 2003; Page D13

If there were any doubts Deuce McAllister would extend his streak of consecutive 100-yard rushing games to nine yesterday against Washington's 26th-ranked defense, the New Orleans Saints running back put them to rest early. Before halftime, in fact.

I24088-2003Nov30L

Saints' Deuce McAllister skirts past safety Matt Bowen en route to 9th straight 100-yard rushing effort.

McAllister again was the Saints' best player, racking up 165 rushing yards -- 122 in the first half -- on 30 carries to help New Orleans to a 24-20 victory at FedEx Field. Only the Buffalo Bills' Travis Henry has rushed for more yards (167) against the Redskins this season.

McAllister's stellar performance moved him into a three-way tie on the all-time list for consecutive 100-yard games with Walter Payton (1985) and Jacksonville's Fred Taylor (2000). Barry Sanders holds the record of 14 (1997) and Marcus Allen is second with 11 (1985-86).

"I'll trade personal records for some 'W's' anytime," said McAllister, who'll turn 25 this month. "I just went out there today and gave my team all I had. After the season [the milestones] will be important. But right now, it's just about getting wins."

New Orleans Coach Jim Haslett said: "He's in good company. Over the long haul, if he takes care of his body, and remains healthy, he will be spoken about in the same breath as players like Walter Payton."

McAllister, a 6-foot-1, 221-pounder whose potent mix of shiftiness, speed and strength proved too much for Washington's linebackers, eclipsed the 100-yard mark on his 13th carry, a 52-yard sprint deep into Washington territory with 3 minutes 44 seconds remaining in the second quarter. That run set up a field goal that put the Saints ahead, 10-7.

It was during a critical stretch in the fourth quarter, however, when McAllister showed why he was a Pro Bowl selection last season.

With New Orleans trailing 20-17, quarterback Aaron Brooks handed the ball to McAllister on three straight plays, and he gained eight, six and four yards to put the Saints on Washington's 22 yard-line with 11:11 remaining. The following play was a five-yard swing pass to the sure-handed running back, who also had four receptions for 31 yards.

Two plays later, New Orleans was celebrating the go-ahead touchdown.

"It's big to have a player like Deuce," tackle Victor Riley said. "He can take any snap to the house. It doesn't matter if it's a run or pass. And he had another great game today."

McAllister was equally complimentary of Riley and the other offensive linemen.

"My hat really goes off to the line," McAllister said. "They played well and we were able move the ball effectively. I was very disappointed when I made the Pro Bowl and none of our offensive linemen did. Hopefully, this game will open up some eyes around the league. . . . Up front, they are getting it done. The holes are there, and when they aren't, I just try to make something happen."

McAllister has made something happen each game this season, and if the Saints (6-6) rebound from a 1-4 start and make the playoffs, they'll have McAllister to thank for the turnaround. Last week in Philadelphia, he set the franchise mark for consecutive 100-yard games by rushing for a career-best 184 yards on 19 carries in the Saints' 33-20 defeat. The previous week, he gained 173 yards to lead the Saints to an overtime victory over Atlanta.

The third-year pro out of Mississippi has posted 17 career 100-yard games since taking over as the Saints starting running back at the start of 2002, which is more than any other NFL rusher during that span. A year after leading the NFC in rushing, McAllister left Washington with 1,393 yards and 50 receptions.

McAllister is "one of the best I've faced," Redskins safety Matt Bowen said. "He runs hard, he plays hard, and he's does everything well. He's a classy guy who doesn't talk a lot. He gets my respect."

Archived