Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot gets his due

Ignatius J.

Today, during player introductions, FOX highlighted smoot as the key player in the secondaey. They almost always show champ's picture and highlight his name, but I think word is finnally starting to spread on our younger CB, who continued an excellent streak of games today.

-DB

I wouldn't throw to Smoot either if he was covering Jerome Pathon. It's not like Pathon is the second coming of John Taylor. They didn't throw to him because he can't get open. And... why throw to Pathon when your #1 receiver is wide open all day.

I'm not sure I even need SUPERIOR play from Champ... I just want an occasional INT or deflected pass or caused fumble. And... the next time I see his head shaking back and forth and clapping his hands in obvious disgust or disbelief will be the 100th time. Heck, I could see that w/ a rookie CB in there.

Originally posted by DrunkenBoxer

yes, there would be considerable difference......

it would not even be close.

-DB

How so? I'm sure Jimoh could get beat deep 2-3 times per game and could give us Champ's normal 1-2 pass interference penalties per game. To me the only difference is,Jimoh gives up the td,Champ just sets the opponents up for an easy td. :doh: ....(ok,ok,I'm frustrated with Champ's play but who isn't??)

Originally posted by DieselPwr44

Would there be any difference in playing Jimoh in Champs spot? They both give up the same plays. Were they seperated at birth??!!

DB is right, that isn't even close! When people say Champ sucks, they don't actully mean he sucks, they just are sayin he isn't worth $20 million. Smoot is good, but he isn't covering #1 guys like Champ is, and he certianly isn't helping on the run like champ, but he does tip those balls.

Originally posted by DrunkenBoxer

exactly the one we offered. If he would take it, I think you have him sign it, and don't look back.

-DB

But don't you think that an 18 mill.SB is a little rich considering the production we're getting? Wouldn't you try to negotiate something a little cheaper?

No. we will not get him for cheaper. I am a firm believer that the dumbest thing you can do is overpay for someone who had a contract year. This situation is exaclty the same. You pay for what you have seen over a career. The guy is a redskin, and if we can make him a lifelong skin, I think we will see him rebound. He has played well until this season, and he has been injured.

-DB

Archived