Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SBN:More fuel added to Shanahan, Gardner dispute

TK

http://www.sportsbusinessnews.com/members/archiveDose/index.asp?date=11/28/2003#4

More fuel added to Shanahan, Gardner dispute

The "little man up there" admitted to a big mistake Wednesday. That and this report from the Rocky Mountain News' Lee Rasizer

In a sometimes tense but often frank 15-minute question-and-answer session with the Denver media, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan conceded he probably erred this off-season in signing defensive tackle Daryl Gardener, whom he suspended Tuesday for two more games.

The punishment was the second in six days doled out to the player for conduct detrimental to the team, prompted this time by a radio interview in which Gardener frequently alluded to Shanahan in derogatory fashion - including several "little man" cracks - and questioned the coach's motives for dishing out an initial one-game penalty.

"Well, there's no question that when you sign a guy for $5 million and all of a sudden the guy doesn't play, then it's not a good decision," said Shanahan, alluding to the signing bonus he bestowed on Gardener in March as part of a seven-year, $34.9 million contract.

Shanahan wouldn't come right out and say the organization will pursue part of Gardener's signing bonus, explaining the Broncos are obligated to pay "at a certain level." But he did strongly suggest the team will at least try to recoup some of the money because of Gardener's lack of hustle in practices and games, run-ins with coaches and other minor violations of team rules.

A clause in Gardener's contract provides that 100 percent of the bonus be refunded if conduct detrimental to the team occurs in the first year of the deal.

"There is an obligation to perform at a certain level and prepare at a certain level to live up to the standards of the organization," Shanahan maintained. "That has not been met."

Yet Shanahan refused to rule out the prospect of Gardener getting back into the team's good graces.

The defensive tackle could have been suspended four games or declared inactive for the remainder of the season. But Shanahan indicated he wanted to "sit back a little bit and get a pulse of the team and organization regarding the next move" and readdress the situation with Gardener after Denver's Dec. 7 game against Kansas City.

"I just thought it would be smart, prudent, to let some time go," Shanahan said.

The entire scenario, Shanahan said, began about two weeks ago, when he called Gardener into his office before the Nov. 16 San Diego game. It was at that time he reportedly told the player about his displeasure with what he considered a dramatic drop-off in the form that allowed Gardener to be voted the Washington Redskins' defensive most valuable player last season.

He told Gardener his play in games this season had been "pretty average" and his practices were "not at the level you've played at before." Shanahan said he also asked Gardener what was wrong, a part of the honest communication Shanahan maintained he promised the player when he signed.

After being told a couple of times there were no festering issues, the defensive tackle then allegedly cut loose with a bombshell:

"He said, 'To be honest with you, I've got a problem with both of our defensive line coaches, the defensive coordinator and our scheme,' " Shanahan recalled. "And I said to him, 'Can you repeat that?' "

Gardener essentially uttered the same sentiment again, after Shanahan sent him home the next day with a suspension for Denver's game with Chicago. While the defensive tackle didn't mention line coaches Jacob Burney and Keith Millard (with whom he apparently was involved in a meeting-room shouting match that resulted in the two being separated earlier this season), Gardener told KRFX-FM (103.5) on Nov. 21 that he and Larry Coyer, "let's be frank - (are) not the best of friends."

In the interview, Gardener also questioned the legitimacy of Shanahan's open-door policy, spoke of his perception that "this man" was looking to dump him and labeled his punishment a "b---- a-- power move."

Shanahan said he was stunned. He'd planned to meet with Gardener on Tuesday to talk about a possible reinstatement, if the player's "standard of practice and preparation" improved. The comments also were met by disbelief by many Broncos players.

They've watched the defensive tackle make headlines for a pancake house scuffle that resulted in a mangled wrist, read stories about his love of partying and other assorted quotes of braggadocio while accumulating only 15 tackles in five appearances.

"Here's the thing," Broncos tight end Shannon Sharpe said. "It's hard to say somebody doesn't like you when they give you $5 million. I wish a lot of people didn't like me. If you're going to give me $5 million, you can hate me.

"But when they give you that kind of money and the production doesn't meet the pay, and they sit you down for whatever reason, the best thing to do is look at yourself and say, 'You know what? Maybe I'm not getting it done. Maybe I'm giving a lot of lip service but not a lot of work here.' Then you say, 'OK, I'm going to come back and show them I'm the guy that they gave all this money to.' "

Whether that player ever steps on the field for the Broncos is an open question.

"I really don't know," Shanahan said.

Gardener didn't offer an apology when he was suspended the second time for his comments Tuesday, Shanahan said. The defensive tackle merely shook the coach's hand and walked out.

Gardener will have been docked $115,588 if he returns after the third game of his suspension.

"I told him the most disappointing part of his outburst was when he said I didn't sit down with him and review what was wrong, that I didn't explain it in detail to him," Shanahan said. "Not only did I explain it in detail to him, but I explained it in detail to his agent." That and this report from the Rocky Mountain News' Lee Rasizer

Originally posted by TK421CLICKER

The entire scenario, Shanahan said, began about two weeks ago, when he called Gardener into his office before the Nov. 16 San Diego game. It was at that time he reportedly told the player about his displeasure with what he considered a dramatic drop-off in the form that allowed Gardener to be voted the Washington Redskins' defensive most valuable player last season.

He told Gardener his play in games this season had been "pretty average" and his practices were "not at the level you've played at before." Shanahan said he also asked Gardener what was wrong, a part of the honest communication Shanahan maintained he promised the player when he signed.

After being told a couple of times there were no festering issues, the defensive tackle then allegedly cut loose with a bombshell:

"He said, 'To be honest with you, I've got a problem with both of our defensive line coaches, the defensive coordinator and our scheme,' " Shanahan recalled. "And I said to him, 'Can you repeat that?' "

To me, this sounds like a chicken$hit interview by a chicken$hit coach. Shanahan calls Gardener in, tells him he isn't playing well, asks him why. Gardener doesn't give any reasons, so Shanahan probes several times, like, "come on, you can tell me, I've got an honest communication policy." Finally Gardener spills his guts, says he has a "problem" with the coaches and the scheme.

Shanahan is stunned, asks Gardener to repeat what he said. When he does, Shanahan suspends Gardener for a game.

Seems like Gardener's communication was too honest. Shanahan is willing to listen, but if you tell him stuff he doesn't want to hear, he suspends you. I would be curious to know just what "problems" Gardener has with the coaches and the scheme.

Granted, the players should try to do what the coaches tell them, but if I were Shanahan, I would have asked a few more questions to find out just what the problems were. Maybe Gardener's problems were something the coaches were doing wrong. Shanahan should have probed to find out just what the problems were.

Now maybe Shanahan did what I think he should have done, but it doesn't sound like it from what was reported in the press. It sounds like maybe Gardener and Dalton are right about Shanahan's Napoleonesque tendencies. Tell him something he doesn't want to hear and you go directly to the doghouse without passing GO and without collecting $200. So much for the "honest communication" policy.

Archived