Extremeskins

Redskins.com:Hasselbeck to Start; Hamdan Signed

TK

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12316

Hasselbeck to Start; Hamdan Signed

11/28/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

It’s official: Tim Hasselbeck will start at quarterback in this Sunday’s game against the New Orleans Saints at FedExField. The team signed rookie quarterback Gibran Hamdan from the practice squad and he will serve as Hasselbeck’s backup.

HassMiami_Title.jpg

To make room for Hamdan, running back John Simon was released.

“It looks like Tim Hasselbeck and Gibran Hamdan will be our two guys this week,” head coach Steve Spurrier said Friday. “It’s pretty much official that’s the way we’re going to go.”

Starter Patrick Ramsey, still officially listed as doubtful for Sunday's game, is expected to have a cast on his sore right foot at least through the weekend. Spurrier said doctors have told Ramsey to rest the bruised bone in his foot possibly into the middle of next week.

“That’s the idea behind it: Let it rest and hopefully I’ll be back next week,” Ramsey said Friday. “I think I’ve reached a point with this injury where I’d be hindering us more than helping us. Tim’s played well and hopefully he can lead us to a victory this Sunday.”

For Hasselbeck, it has been a whirlwind month. He signed with Washington in late October, saw his first extended NFL action in last Sunday’s 24-23 loss to the Miami Dolphins, and now will start his first NFL game.

Hasselbeck said Friday that he has prepared this week knowing he could start the game.

“Getting all the reps last week and this week and running all our plays with the guys who are going to be out there during the game, it helps,” hesaid. “I am more comfortable going into this game than the last game. I don’t know when that process stops, really. I’m always going to keep on trying to get better, from the rest of this year to the following year, and so on.”

Said Spurrier: “Tim has had some good practices this week. He really studies his game plan. He’s a very conscientious young man. He seems to not be afraid to go play—he likes to go play. It’ll be interesting to see how he does in the game.”

Spurrier added that Hasselbeck could have a handful of audible calls at the line of scrimmage.

"Tim may have a few audibles," Spurrier said. "We haven't done many audibles much lately, but he could change a few plays here or there."

Hamdan, a native of Potomac, Maryland, who played high school football at Bishop O'Connell in Arlington, Va. and played in college at Indiana, has spent the entire 2003 season on the Redskins' practice squad.

The 6-4, 208-pound quarterback finished his senior season at Indiana with 2,115 passing yards and nine touchdowns.

He completed 152-of-293 passes during his senior season and had his career-best game against Wisconsin when he went 24-of-36 for 310 yards and four touchdowns. He was named Big Ten Co-Offensive Player of the Week after the game.

"Gibran's been with us since minicamps and he knows the offense fairly well," Spurrier said. "He just hasn't played in a game. If he has to go, he'd be a little nervous out there. But he can make all the throws. Obviously, we hope he doesn't have to play, but if something happens to Tim, Gibran's the next in line to go."

I thought Simon looked good too. I wish that we wouldn't have released Watson at the beginning of the season. I think he would've done a great job under Spurrier, and we could keep the same RB in for most of the game, instead of constantly switching.

Archived