TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17504-2003Nov27.html

Ramsey Unlikely To Play Sunday

Hamdan to Serve as Hasselbeck's Backup

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, November 28, 2003; Page D01

I17541-2003Nov27L

Patrick Ramsey can't avoid Carolina's Michael Rucker in preseason. And that was only the beginning. Quarterback's right foot has been in cast since Tuesday.

I17436-2003Nov27

Patrick Ramsey got planted by Jason Taylor in last week's loss to the Dolphins, and has had a cast on his foot since Tuesday.

The Washington Redskins all but ruled out having quarterback Patrick Ramsey available to play on Sunday against the New Orleans Saints at FedEx Field. They continued to make plans for Tim Hasselbeck's first NFL start, and likely will promote rookie quarterback Gibran Hamdan from the practice squad to serve as Hasselbeck's backup.

Ramsey did not participate in yesterday's practice at Redskins Park and said he was unlikely to practice today. He has a cast on his injured right foot and probably will sit out a game or two before deciding whether he will be able to play again this season.

"I'm still hoping [to play Sunday], but it would have to heal up for me to be able to play," Ramsey said.

Coach Steve Spurrier acknowledged it's virtually certain that Ramsey will be on the game-day inactive list.

"He has not done anything yet this week," Spurrier said. "Again, he's very doubtful. Tim has done all the practicing with Gibran Hamdan. There's a good chance Gibran will be our second quarterback this week if Patrick is not able to play at all. He looks very doubtful. . . . It's not 100 percent right now, but very doubtful."

Ramsey is suffering from a bone bruise and the aggravation of an old fracture on the outside of his foot and is facing surgery once the season ends or he declares his season over. Last week, he practiced on Friday and started Sunday night in Miami, but lasted only two offensive series before being knocked from the game with a mild concussion. Hasselbeck took over and led three straight scoring drives, and now faces the challenge of controlling his nerves in a week in which he knows he's almost sure to be the starter. Hasselbeck said yesterday he thinks he will be able to keep his emotions in check.

"There's always that maybe with Patrick," he said. "I kind of felt the same way last week. I even went out for warmups in Miami and nobody said anything like, 'Patrick is ready to go,' so I thought it was still possible even then that I could be starting. I'm going to prepare the same way. And I'm getting the reps [in practices], so I'm not going in cold."

Said Spurrier: "He's doing pretty well. He's getting more and more comfortable. He's obviously a very smart young man to pick up our terminology and so forth. . . . He pretty much did what we asked him to do the last game."

Hamdan, a Bishop O'Connell High School graduate who was the Redskins' seventh-round draft choice out of Indiana in April, has spent all season on the five-member practice squad. The Redskins have until Saturday, under NFL rules, to elevate him to the 53-man roster, but Spurrier said the move could come as soon as today.

"We've got to wait and see how Patrick feels," Hamdan said. "I'm just going about my week like always and I'll try to be prepared if I'm called on."

Redskins Notes: Spurrier said the Redskins probably will start Trung Canidate at tailback Sunday but expect Ladell Betts to split the running duties. Betts has missed the last four games because of a fractured left forearm and is scheduled to be re-examined today to see if his doctors will clear him to play in a game. He has practiced all week and said he expects to be given the go-ahead.

"I'll be straight," Betts said. "It hasn't taken a game-type hit, but it's taken some bumps and it's been okay." . . .

Spurrier said the Redskins will have to make a few adjustments with Brandon Winey scheduled to start at left tackle in place of the injured Chris Samuels and match up with defensive end Charles Grant, who leads the Saints with 71/2 sacks. "Winey handled himself well down in Miami," Spurrier said. "But they've got a very good defensive end over there, so we've got to give him a little help now and then." . . .

The Redskins believe that offensive coordinator Hue Jackson has a good chance to land the head coaching job at Duke. Jackson interviewed for the job Tuesday and might take a Redskins assistant or two with him if he's hired. . . .

Defensive coordinator George Edwards says he has not been bothered by veteran defensive end Bruce Smith's public complaints about his lack of playing time recently.

"You've got to look at Bruce's situation, when you've been a starter in this league as long as he's been," Edwards said. "Every year, it's always been a situation where people were saying they were going to reduce his reps, and it didn't happen. It's just hard when you've started as long as he has and now you're playing reduced reps. He still competes and he's doing what we're asking him to do." . . .

Spurrier adjusted the team's practice schedule so that the Redskins players could leave the club's training facility shortly after noon on Thanksgiving.

"We had pretty good spirit, a beautiful day," Spurrier said. "Even though we're not winning, we've got a lot to be thankful for, as I'm sure most all people out there have a lot to be thankful for. And we are."

Archived