WP:Playoffs 'Unrealistic'

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11877-2003Nov24.html

Playoffs 'Unrealistic'

Spurrier Says Goal Is Unlikely for Battered Team

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, November 25, 2003; Page D01

Washington Redskins left tackle Chris Samuels appeared anguished limping out of Redskins Park yesterday because of a sprained right knee. Soon after, quarterback Patrick Ramsey departed the training facility by keeping pressure off his right foot, which was wrapped in a familiar black protective boot. The gloomy scenario was fitting for a 4-7 team whose coach conceded the postseason is not in the equation after losing six of its past seven games.

"The playoffs are very, very unrealistic right now," Coach Steve Spurrier said.

Little-known players such as Brandon Winey (Samuels's replacement) and Tim Hasselbeck (Ramsey's backup) have become prominent members of this bruised, battered team. And Hasselbeck's play during the first half of Sunday's 24-23 loss to the Miami Dolphins created some speculation as to whom would start Sunday against the New Orleans Saints.

However, Spurrier said the job remains Ramsey's if he's healthy.

"Patrick is our starting quarterback," Spurrier said firmly yesterday, "as long as he's able to play."

Samuels will miss Sunday's game, and probably others, Spurrier said. The two-time Pro Bowl player is scheduled to receive an MRI exam today to determine the extent of his injury. Winey -- Miami's sixth-round pick in the 2001 draft -- will make his first NFL start Sunday at FedEx Field.

Ramsey, who is expected to practice this week, left Redskins Park to have his right foot examined by a foot doctor. Surgery is inevitable for the Tulane product after the season. But the Redskins view every snap Ramsey takes as critical to his development. The right-hander was forced out of Sunday's game with a mild concussion after being sacked for the 30th time this season. Ramsey's known injuries include a sore knee, sprained left shoulder, bruised left forearm and dislocated left pinkie. Ramsey's bone bruise wasn't revealed until last week, the day after he aggravated an old fracture during a 20-17 loss to the Carolina Panthers. Although Ramsey discovered the injury during preseason, its origin remains a mystery. (The Redskins consulted doctors at Tulane, who have no record of the injury.)

"It's something that we have to address as we go," Ramsey said. "It's not something that I'm going to be able to really recover from until the season is over with. My expectations and my desire is to play for the remainder of the season. Whether reality holds up with that, we'll find out."

Samuels suffered his injury -- "pretty painful," he said -- in the second quarter after being inadvertently kicked by Miami linebacker Junior Seau while trying to block another defender. With about two minutes left in the second quarter, Samuels left the field with the help of Washington's trainers and never returned. Winey was solid filling in for Samuels, as the offensive line provided Hasselbeck ample time. "He's a fiery guy," Samuels said of Winey. "He acted like he was supposed to be the guy in there the whole time."

Hasselbeck's NFL career -- which started in 2001 as an undrafted rookie for the Buffalo Bills -- has been uneventful. Before Sunday's game, Hasselbeck had thrown only three NFL passes, yet the balding 25-year old Boston College product looked like a seasoned veteran against Miami's stingy defense. (The Dolphins entered the game as the NFL's top scoring defense, allowing an average of 14.7 points.) Hasselbeck was 15 for 30 for 150 yards, throwing one touchdown and one interception.

"I wasn't totally shocked in what he did," Spurrier said of Hasselbeck. "But until a player is under fire, you don't really know what he's going to do."

Hasselbeck's performance came without calling any audibles because he hasn't grasped the intricacies of Spurrier's system. However, one of Hasselbeck's most impressive qualities, teammates said, was his self-assurance from the first snap. "I've been with a lot of different quarterbacks," said Hasselbeck, who has played for four NFL teams. "And I've seen some guys walk into the huddle and just kind of whisper the play.

"Even if you don't know what the heck you're talking about, if you at least make everyone in the huddle think like you do, just everyone else will feel real good about how that play is going to go."

Comparisons to Ramsey are inevitable, and the most striking contrasts were Hasselbeck's quick releases and mobility. Those qualities helped Hasselbeck suffer the same number of sacks as Ramsey: one. Of course, Hasselbeck was aided by Spurrier's prudent playcalling, which was uncharacteristically conservative.

Ramsey made his NFL debut last season in an early October game against the Tennessee Titans, filling in for an injured Danny Wuerffel. Ramsey generated euphoria by going 20 for 34 for 268 yards with two touchdowns, but Ramsey sputtered after being named the starter before regaining the job late in the season.

"I'm really thankful that these guys have brought me in," Hasselbeck said. "I'm just really trying to learn as much as I can."

Archived