Extremeskins

Skins.com:Samuels Could Be Out 1-2 Weeks; Haley to IR

TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12300

Samuels Could Be Out 1-2 Weeks; Haley to IR

11/24/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Left tackle Chris Samuels could miss 1-2 weeks with a sprained right knee suffered in Sunday night's game against the Miami Dolphins, head coach Steve Spurrier said in Monday press conference.

Samuels was injured in the first half on a running play as the Redskins were about to score to go up 20-7. Reserve offensive lineman Brandon Winey stepped in for Samuels, who tested his knee on the sidelines in the third quarter in the hopes of returning to the game.

Winey stayed in the game and "played well," Spurrier said.

"Brandon hung in there pretty tough," he added. "We gave him a little help now and then, but he blocked [Miami defensive end] Jason Taylor pretty well. He got beat once, after Chris got beat once earlier, but I thought Brandon held up well in there."

Although Samuels' status for Sunday's game will be announced midweek, Spurrier is planning as if he will not have the two-time Pro Bowl left tackle this week. Winey is slated to see the bulk of reps at left tackle in practice and start the game, he added.

Rookie wide receiver Taylor Jacobs also suffered a sprained knee in Sunday's game, but Spurrier was more optimistic that he'd have Jacobs' services for the New Orleans game.

Also, the Redskins announced that defensive tackle Jermaine Haley was placed on injured reserve and would miss the remainder of the season. Haley has been hampered by a fractured thumb and a shoulder sprain. He has been inactive for four of the team's last five games.

With Haley now on injured reserve, the Redskins have an available roster spot.

Extra Points

Darnerien McCants was walking on crutches at Redskin Park due to a knee contusion suffered in the Miami game. His status for Sunday's game is uncertain, but Spurrier did not include him among a list of injured players who he expects may not be able to play.

Ladell Betts, who has missed the last four games due to a fractured forearm, should be ready to return to practice this week, Spurrier said.

Big Chris just isn't having any luck at all this season. I just hope this season was just one of those freak things, and things go back to normal next season. He's either been playing through an injury he's told no one about or my feeling is he's been trying to do to much and as a result has done very little.

luck? A better word would be skilled. I am convinced the Samuels is the most overrated tackle in the entire NFL.

(I think everyone remebers the play when there was a 3 man dolphin rush and Chris was utterly beaten by Jason Taylor, well Ramsey suffered a concussion thanks to Samuels' bone headed play.)

Well, I noticed an athletic dropoff between Samuels and Whiney.... and Dockery helped out alot more once he entered the game. Anyone notice Dockery has not been mentioned lately? I think he's becoming a nice addition to the line.

Of course, I'll hold judgement until after the jailbreak that is the Philly and Dallas defense later this year.

Archived