Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP:Ramsey still can't practice

TK

http://www.nola.com/sportsflash/topstories/index.ssf?/newsflash/get_story.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?s0440_BC_FBN--Redskins-Ramsey&&sports&sportsflash-topstory

Ramsey still can't practice

The Associated Press

11/20/03 5:17 PM

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- Patrick Ramsey did not practice again Thursday, and he planned to stay late to "try a bunch of things" to get his ailing foot well enough to play this week.

The Washington Redskins quarterback has been bothered by a flare-up of an old fracture in his right foot, an injury that needs rest and might require offseason surgery. He was given a cortisone shot Monday and has been wearing a protective boot.

"I feel better today than I did yesterday, and I'm going to stay here all evening," Ramsey said. "We're going to try a bunch of things to see if we can make it feel better."

If Ramsey can't play, Tim Hasselbeck will make his first NFL start Sunday night at Miami. Hasselbeck would become the 15th quarterback to start for the Redskins in 11 seasons.

"Tim knows what to do," coach Steve Spurrier said. "He can catch it and hand it off and throw it. I think Tim will play well if he's our quarterback this week."

Spurrier did not say when he will make a decision. If he feels Ramsey might not play, he will have to promote rookie Gibran Hamdan from the practice squad no later than Saturday to have a backup ready. Ramsey and Hasselbeck are the only quarterbacks on the active roster.

Ramsey indicated that Friday's practice would be the most telling.

"I'd really like to practice tomorrow if I'm going to be able to play on Sunday," he said.

Archived