Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Woody:Runner's revenge

TK

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031772142481&path=!sports&s=1045855934844

Runner's revenge

Panthers get winning score from former Redskin Davis; Cartwright fumbles away TD

BY PAUL WOODY

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER Nov 17, 2003

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - In all likelihood, the Washington Redskins never will believe Stephen Davis scored the game-winning touchdown for the Carolina Panthers yesterday.

In all likelihood, the Redskins forever will see Davis a foot short of the end zone before safety Matt Bowen knocked the ball from the hands of Washington's former star running back. In all likelihood, the Redskins always will believe there was ample visual evidence available for referee Gerald Austin to overturn the ruling on the field.

In all likelihood, running back Rock Cartwright will spend most of this week blaming himself for the Redskins' 20-17 loss to the Panthers. Cartwright was willing to do that yesterday.

In a situation similar to Davis', Cartwright blasted toward the end zone. Unlike Davis, Cartwright clearly crossed the goal line. Unfortunately for Cartwright, the ball was knocked from his hands somewhere between the 1-yard line and the goal line, and he did not have possession when he landed in the end zone. Instead, the Panthers recovered the fumble.

A touchdown was prevented. A game was saved.

"It came down to a game with two running backs who went into the end zone," Redskins coach Steve Spurrier said. "One fumbled and one didn't. They ended up being the two big plays in the game, and we were on the bad end of both of them."

For the Redskins (4-6), losing is not a new experience. Yesterday's loss, though, seemed to take more than usual out of a number of players and coaches.

Spurrier spoke softly and left his postgame press conference quickly. Cartwright was distraught in the locker room.

"I cost us the game," Cartwright said. "Third and goal at the 1, and I fumble. That's big. I'm taking a lot of the blame for this."

Cartwright's teammates would not let him stand alone.

"I told him, 'I made mistakes same as you did, so don't feel like you lost the game,' " Redskins left tackle Chris Samuels said. "Stuff like that happens from time to time."

No corner of the Redskins' locker room held players who were blameless in yesterday's outcome.

The Redskins' offense scored just three points off four turnovers.

On the Redskins' first play from scrimmage, quarterback Patrick Ramsey badly overthrew wide receiver Laveranues Coles, who was several steps beyond the Panthers' defense down the left sideline. The chance for a significant gain, perhaps even a touchdown, was gone.

Players on the Carolina bench had a better chance to catch that pass than Coles.

"I just missed it," Ramsey said.

With 2:50 left in the game and the Redskins leading 17-13, the Panthers (8-2) faced a fourth-and-1 at their 38. The Redskins' defense might have sealed a victory with a stop.

Instead, Davis drifted out of the backfield, caught a pass from quarterback Jake Delhomme and ran for 37 yards to the Redskins' 25.

Davis said linebacker Jeremiah Trotter was supposed to cover him. When he saw Trotter coming on a blitz, Davis said he knew he would be open in the flat.

On the next play, wide receiver Steve Smith outjumped two defenders and caught a 30-yard pass that put the Panthers at the Redskins' 7. Smith held the ball despite a bone-jarring tackle by Bowen.

Two plays later, Davis was in a pile of players, squirming toward the end zone. Davis got close enough to reach out and attempt to break the plane of the goal line with the ball. The officials said he did that before Bowen arrived to knock the ball from Davis' hands. After viewing a replay, Austin declared there was "no visual evidence" to overturn the ruling.

"We shouldn't have let them down there in the first place," Bowen said. "We can't let a game be decided on one play."

More than one play decided the game, and the Redskins knew it. They knew something else about all those crucial plays as well.

"They made the plays at the times they needed to make plays," Redskins cornerback Fred Smoot said. "I don't think we did the job here today."

Contact Paul Woody at (804) 649-6444 or pwoody@timesdispatch.com

Archived