Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TIMES-DISPATCH:Back who didn't fit Spurrier's plan gets last laugh

TK

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031772142473&path=!sports&s=1045855934844

Back who didn't fit Spurrier's plan gets last laugh

JOHN MARKON

TIMES-DISPATCH COLUMNIST

Monday, November 17, 2003

CHARLOTTE, N.C. Stephen Davis had a word for his emotions following the Carolina Panthers' 20-17 conquest of Davis' former em ployers, the Washington Redskins:

"Woo."

That was it, and it was worth a thousand pictures. Striding into the Panthers' locker room after the game, Davis walked through a phalanx of minicams, collected a game ball someone thoughtfully had left on a handy chair, threw his head back and gave out with a lusty whoop.

A few minutes later, after team publicists urged Davis to meet a larger crowd of press in an auditorium-style interview room, Davis opted not to change his words, or, in this case, word.

"Stephen didn't talk much in the huddle today," said Carolina quarterback Jake Delhomme, "but I think that yell said it all."

Several versions of yesterday's Davis vs. Washington plotline probably are played out in NFL stadiums every weekend. Unless you play with one team for your entire career - or unless you barely have a career - sooner or later you'll probably face a game against a team that decided it could deal with the future without you.

Davis vs. Washington, however, was different because of the terms of their parting. After seven years and 5,790 rushing yards wearing a Redskins playsuit, Davis was cut loose because Washington coach Steve Spurrier didn't believe Davis (and Davis' high salary) fit into the new-look Spurrier offense.

Davis held and still holds the contrasting view that a running back of his abilities ought to fit into any offense. "This day was very dramatic, very emotional, very important," Davis said. "Very anything you want."

Davis said during the week that 178 yards against the Skins would satisfy him. He had to settle for about half that, carrying 28 times for 92 yards. He'd have preferred to win by about 35-3, but four Carolina turnovers - one of them a Davis fumble - made certain that wouldn't happen.

Instead, it was Washington with a 17-13 lead and only 4:13 remaining.

"It couldn't end that way," insisted Panthers safety Mike Minter. "We didn't want Stephen walking across the field and having to say 'Good game' to all his old teammates and coaches. We love him too much for that."

Davis gigged the Skins twice on the decisive series. With Carolina forced almost immediately into a fourth-and-2, Davis recognized a Redskins defense and slipped into what he knew would be an open area, where Delhomme was able to find him for a 25-yard gain.

"I was wondering the same thing you were wondering," said Skins cornerback Fred Smoot. "How did he get so open?"

On first and goal from the 7, two carries by Davis produced the touchdown, although the second had to survive video-replay scrutiny as officials attempted to determine whether Davis had pushed the ball over the goal line before Washington's Matt Bowen swatted it away.

"If I keep my feet on the first run, I score and there's no need for the second run," Davis said. "I wanted to score on that first carry, but the coaches wanted to run out the clock a little."

Then he laughed the way winners laugh.

Spurrier had much less to say, other than to maintain he'd always had the highest respect for Davis' abilities. On a day when Washington's running game produced only 54 yards on 22 carries and a "long" gain of 9 yards, silence was probably Spurrier's best option.

A few of the Redskins players insisted that they'd "contained" Davis, and many more felt that his game-winning touchdown shouldn't have counted. Not many, however, bit on the idea that Washington was somehow better off without Davis than with him.

"It's a salary-cap league, and no one keeps all their good players," said offensive tackle Jon Jansen. "I'm not touching the rest of it."

Davis said that yesterday's game was his first and final crusade, that his next game against the Redskins will be just another Sunday afternoon.

He laughed about that one, too.

Contact John Markon at (804) 649-6891 or jmarkon@timesdispatch.com

For the most part, Davis wasn't really a factor yesterday - the Panthers passing game was what did the majority of the damage to the 'Skins. But he made a good play on that long catch at the end, and then managed to get in position to score that final TD, and so the media gets their juicy revenge story.

Archived