Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP:Spurrier, Fox headed in different directions

TK

http://cgi.citizen-times.com/cgi-bin/story/sports/45114

Spurrier, Fox headed in different directions

By ASSOCIATED PRESSNov. 15, 2003 11:01 p.m.

CHARLOTTE - If things had worked out differently, Steve Spurrier would be coaching in Carolina right now instead of John Fox.

Spurrier was the Panthers' first choice when they were searching for a coach two years ago, but he quickly told them he had no interest and was hired by the Washington Redskins.

Fox got the job in Carolina, and the two coaches have taken drastically different approaches with drastically different results with their new teams.

Headed into today's game between the Redskins (4-5) and Panthers (7-2), Fox has a 14-11 record in Carolina, has his team in a terrific turnaround and on top of the NFC South standings.

Spurrier, meanwhile, is 11-14 in Washington and under tremendous scrutiny with rumors rampant about a lack of job security.

As Fox is enjoying his time as the toast of Charlotte, Spurrier admits he can't avoid the controversy of his own situation.

"I heard I was under a lot of heat," he said. "All my buddies from around the country were calling up and saying, `Steve, hang in there.' The only thing you can do is try the best you can, and that's what we are doing."

So it's not exactly the ideal time for Spurrier to have a showdown with former player Stephen Davis, who tries hard but can't mask his dislike for the "Ball Coach."

Davis was coming off three straight 1,000-yard seasons in Washington when Spurrier arrived and slowly began to phase him out of the pass-happy offense. He ended 2002 with 820 yards rushing, his lowest total since becoming the starter in 1999, and was released at the end of the year in what Spurrier called a salary-cap decision.

Davis' eyes only widened in disbelief when told this week of Spurrier's money reasons.

"That's him, that's him," Davis sighed. "Contract numbers, whatever. I was a guy that, given the opportunity, could have made the best of my opportunity. Ain't no telling what could have happened last year."

Davis, who sat out last week with a sprained ankle, would love nothing more than a big game against his former team and a chance to show Spurrier what got away. But he admits part of him sympathizes with the Redskins right now, especially the handful of former teammates he talks to on a weekly basis.

"They're frustrated," he said. "Anytime you lose, you're frustrated."

The Redskins did snap a four-game losing streak with a 27- 20 win over Seattle last week. Spurrier handed over most of the offensive play-calling to offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, who also gave the team a motivational speech the day before.

Patrick Ramsey went 17-for-32 for 232 yards, two touchdowns, two interceptions and wasn't sacked, then said he didn't really notice much of a change under Jackson.

"I am sure that it was a tag-team effort as far as calling the plays were concerned," Ramsey said. " I was just doing my best to run them. There was no particular difference. He maybe was a little more involved on the sideline once we got back over there."

But Spurrier was heavily involved in two of the biggest calls of the game, suggesting a lateral to receiver Rod Gardner, who threw a 10-yard touchdown pass to Trung Canidate for the winning score. Spurrier also decided to run the ball on fourth-and-inches from the Redskins 25 on the decisive drive.

Carolina center Jeff Mitchell, who played for Spurrier in college at Florida, said he doesn't believe Spurrier has really stepped back.

"You really think he is? I don't," Mitchell said. "He may be letting somebody put the game plan together, but he's still calling the plays. If there's something he wants run, it's going to get run."

Mitchell will be just one of the Carolina linemen trying to protect Jake Delhomme from Washington defensive end Bruce Smith, who needs one sack to tie Reggie White's NFL record of 198.

Archived