Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Report: Redskins To Host Josh Norman For Visit

It may be that Carolina's defense makes him better, but it doesn't hurt to kick the tires. If Scott thinks he would be a good fit than that's alright with me.

HTTR

This is where I am at. If they bring him in and he seems to be a fit and they can get the money right, then it would be good. You know they will not sign him to some long high priced deal. That's just not Scot's style. Best case he solidifies what has been a weak position for a really long time. Worst case he is average (which is better than what we have had for a whole now outside Breeland) and he is a bridge to a young guy we get in the draft.

In the end, I think he will want a lot more money than the Redskins are willing to pay.

The key is the cap money, will he make enough of a difference that we can go short in another area now, and in the future (he will get a 3 or 4 year contract). I read that we already have a cap problem and with the necessity of signing Cousins to a franchise contract there are limited options to adjust. Younger players are important in keeping the cap number down and building a bright future - I am just being leery about going back to the big name free agent signing era, I guess.

This is a huge over-reaction by the fan base. Nothing has been signed, nothing has been committed. Scot is kicking the tires. They have been excellent in managing the CAP. They get paid to do so. The entire offseason approach is with next years and beyond in mind - like resigning Jordan Reed, keeping some other guys. Why would they all of sudden go brain dead and make stupid mistakes?

If they sign him (and I am very doubtful they will), it will be on a team friendly contract. That has been Scot's MO since he got here. Why would that change? And if it does, he would have to have a very good reason. At best he becomes a perennial pro-bowler for us solidifying a position of need for years past. At worst he is a few year rental while we develop a few young guys. He can help that development while he is here.

Again, worrying about a simple visit by a high profile FA is a huge over-reaction.

Looks like this may happen. If it does, understanding how Scot works, he will not get into a 5 yr guaranteed deal. So people need to be prepared when they see something like 4 yrs, $54M that only about $15M will be guaranteed meaning we can walk away in 2 yrs or so with little long lasting damage. No need to freak out like we have given up the farm.

As for cap space, we can get about $7M just by releasing Roberts and Riley. We have $11M based on the rule of 51. Culliver now becomes expendable. There is another $6M or we could renegotiate him so to get at least $4M and keep him. S Lavauo and Kory represent another $4M or $5M, although both will not be released. But we can easily get to $24M without any problems. That does not include restructuring a guy like Garcon where you could pick up another $5M or so. 

If they want to sign him, the money is there. If he plays to even 80% of his abilities last year, it will be a huge upgrade. I would love to see a secondary with Breeland on one side and Norman on the other.

If we do sign Norman, with Galette coming back we could make a huge leap in the kind of defense we are. In the end, if Scot thinks it's the right thing to do, then I say go for it!

The key is the cap money, will he make enough of a difference that we can go short in another area now, and in the future (he will get a 3 or 4 year contract). I read that we already have a cap problem and with the necessity of signing Cousins to a franchise contract there are limited options to adjust. Younger players are important in keeping the cap number down and building a bright future - I am just being leery about going back to the big name free agent signing era, I guess.

Unfounded concern not to mention a bit of an over-reaction. I have already shown how we can get to $20M+ in Cap space easily without cutting anyone of consequence, more if needed. Also, any contract will likely be structured only count $4M or $5M this year.

Here is the cap situation for 2017 straight from Rich Tandler (I was pretty sure but wanted to verify first):

"Again, there are a lot of different ways to get it done. The important thing to remember now is that their substantial amount of 2017 cap space gives them the flexibility they need to make it happen if they want to." 

You can find it here: http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/redskinsblog/how-could-redskins-fit-norman-contract-under-cap?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Unfounded concern not to mention a bit of an over-reaction. I have already shown how we can get to $20M+ in Cap space easily without cutting anyone of consequence, more if needed. Also, any contract will likely be structured only count $4M or $5M this year.

To each his own, been there done that with the cap and it didn't turn out well. However, if it makes you happy go for it.

To each his own, been there done that with the cap and it didn't turn out well. However, if it makes you happy go for it.

Not sure what been there done that means unless you are equating this with the Haynesworth signing or a few others done in the cerrato days.

But Scot is a football man. He has helped build 3 championship football teams. Sometimes you have to spedn some money and or take a chance. It's a little more money than I expected, but I trust Scot and the current FO to make the right decision.

There is no doubt that Josh immediately makes our D better. We now have 2 lock down corners. You add JR Galette in there, move Murphy to the line where he belongs and all of a sudden this D has some real teeth. Are we done? No. Still a lot of work to do. But we have major amounts of cap for next year. This does not hurt us. And after year 3 we can move on if it's not working out or we have younger lower paid guys coming on.

I do not see this as the same kind of mindless splash signings of years past. This is a calculated move to take advantage of adding a true playmaker.

This also gives you a lot of flexibility in the draft. You can now take say a Ryan Kelly C in the first or Reggie Ragland if he falls. With these teams jumping up fro QBs, there will be someone who drops to us that's a huge value at that spot and Scot will jump all over them.

it's a great time to be a Washington Redskins fan! I just had to pinch myself to make sure I was not dreaming!

Yes it is a big concern and you totally miss the point about cap monies, which is:

It is never that you can find a way to sign the individual (Vinny proved that repeatedly) it is what it does to your future options over the life of the contract (in this case a minimum of 4 years) that is important.

There is enough recent history with the Vinny years that should not be a difficult concept to understand.

Time to move on we are not in sync and will probably never be, but you stated your opinion which I think is wrong, but that it is your opinion so go with it and I will stay with mine.

So, you are right and am wrong to that's it, eh?? LOL Seriously? Sorry, doesn't work that way.

I actually get your concern. We do have a history of making bad decisions. But this is a different FO and Josh Norman is a game changer for us. He immediately makes our Def a whole lot better. I have faith in this FO.

You don't want to have faith? That's fine, that is your opinion and you might be right. But I am looking at the data and I think otherwise. Tell me you disagree that's fine. But don't just tell me I am wrong and then not expect not to get a response. Just not going to happen, especially when I have data to support my position.  

Lets start with I am not missing any point. You are dwelling on a past that is just that, past. Second the data does not support your concerns. I provided data to show that showed that. I am guessing you decided not to read the article I posted. So I will actually give you a better link showing you the cap status for the next few years. But let's just talk about the numbers.

Before signing Norman, we had $11M in cap space. Subtract $3M for draft picks leaves $8M. Andre Roberts was never going to be on this team in 2017. Most assumed Perry riley is gone too. That's about $15M right away.

Norman signed what is basically a 3 yr $51M contract since from what I have read that's what is guaranteed and the structure of the contract pays him the entire $51M in the first 3 yrs of the total 5 yr $75M contract. So just do some easy math and divide by 3 you get $17M/yr for those 3 yrs. We easily have $15M for this year already. They can get the other $2M easily.

For next year and beyond, the years you are concerned about. we have crazy cap since Scot has been singing short term no cap penalty contracts. Next year doing nothing we have $58M! Even resigning Reed (assuming $9M) and Cousins (assuming $21M) and Josh's $17M, we are at $47M. That leaves $11M without making any moves what-so-ever.

So as I said at the beginning of all this, these guys who get paid actually know what they are doing. The facts support that.

Here is the best cap tracker I have found. You might find it interesting.  http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-redskins/

So, you are right and am wrong to that's it, eh?? LOL Seriously? Sorry, doesn't work that way.

I actually get your concern. We do have a history of making bad decisions. But this is a different FO and Josh Norman is a game changer for us. He immediately makes our Def a whole lot better. I have faith in this FO.

You don't want to have faith? That's fine, that is your opinion and you might be right. But I am looking at the data and I think otherwise. Tell me you disagree that's fine. But don't just tell me I am wrong and then not expect not to get a response. Just not going to happen, especially when I have data to support my position.  

Let it go, the cap problem is never this year but if you believe it is not a problem go with it, However, in my opinion Vinny, and others taking the same path, proved repeatedly there is never a player you cannot sign if you are willing to sacrifice the future. It has nothing to do with faith, we all hope they can overcome problems, get a better line.

Let it go, the cap problem is never this year but if you believe it is not a problem go with it, However, in my opinion Vinny, and others taking the same path, proved repeatedly there is never a player you cannot sign if you are willing to sacrifice the future. It has nothing to do with faith, we all hope they can overcome problems, get a better line.

First of all, telling me what to do will get you no where. Last I looked no one forced you to comment here. If you don't want a response then don't comment. 

In this particular case you are showing your lack of education on the matter. If you had done some research before commenting, you would realize that while the money seems big, the contract is actually pretty team friendly with only one year with a big Cap tag and that's next year's $20M hit where we have in excess of $58M in CAP space without making any moves to free up any more money. 

The guarantees of $51M being reported are really only $36.5M fully guaranteed. There is a $13.5M injury guarantee that only becomes guaranteed if he is still on the team at the start of the season in 2018 and just happens to be his salary for that season. This years cap hit is just $8M. All the fully guaranteed money will be paid by year 2 so we can walk away after the 2nd year with only $9M in dead cap. If he sucks we can walk away with very little harm done.

Also, this is not some over the hill guy who has lost a few steps just getting paid. Josh is in the prime of his career at 28 (he is not 29 like people want to keep saying. He turns 29 in December. Big difference!). He is coming off a very good year in 2014 and a great year in 2015.

So again your concern is unfounded because you have not read the facts about it or you are choosing to ignore them. Either way if you want to dwell on the past that's your choice. But it's without factual data to support it.

First of all, telling me what to do will get you no where. Last I looked no one forced you to comment here. If you don't want a response then don't comment. 

First of all - everybody has a right to an opinion even if it is wrong - like yours and I will keep on pointing it out. Second, if you can't handle your inadequacies (obvious from your immature responses) don't keep on responding, no one is forcing you to comment. 

First of all - everybody has a right to an opinion even if it is wrong - like yours and I will keep on pointing it out. Second, if you can't handle your inadequacies (obvious from your immature responses) don't keep on responding, no one is forcing you to comment. 

So you are down to personal attacks. Good for you. LOL  Too funny, and quite predictable. I love it when people accuse others of doing what they are doing....  

To that end, exactly where did I say you didn't have a right to your opinion? You were the one who told me I was flat out wrong and to "move on" but have provided nothing to support it. I on the other have provided data to support my position.  If you would stop taking everything so personal and just look at the data you may find yourself actually learning something.   #investigateandeducate 

To that end, exactly where did I say you didn't have a right to your opinion? You were the one who told me I was flat out wrong and to "move on" but have provided nothing to support it. I on the other have provided data to support my position.  If you would stop taking everything so personal and just look at the data you may find yourself actually learning something.   #investigateandeducate 

You are living proof that the old saying "You can't argue with a stupid person" is true. That's all for me on this topic but I will be back with your next unsubstantiated post, which is all of them - that will keep me busy anyway.

You are living proof that the old saying "You can't argue with a stupid person" is true. That's all for me on this topic but I will be back with your next unsubstantiated post, which is all of them - that will keep me busy anyway.

Again, no data. No proof, just accusations. You have provided no data what so ever. I have provided mountains of data yet you call them unsubstantiated posts. Hilariously laughable. Thanks for the entertainment. Again, if you pull back the arrogance just a little bit and educate yourself on what is actually happened you might learn something.

But thanks again for lowering yourself to name calling and false accusations. Just proves you have nothing relevant to add. Have a great day... 

But thanks again for lowering yourself to name calling and false accusations. Just proves you have nothing relevant to add. Have a great day... 

Your inability to let things go shows a total absence of class, I bet that really held you back in your pitiful life.

Your inability to let things go shows a total absence of class, I bet that really held you back in your pitiful life.

Sorry Go, but for me sarcasm comes out as quick as stupid comes out for you. Looking forward to your next duh statement.  

Sorry Go, but for me sarcasm comes out as quick as stupid comes out for you. Looking forward to your next duh statement.  

You are hilarious dude! Have to have the last word. Telling me to let it go when just can't resist responding. It's priceless!

So, again I will try to stay on message, something you can't seem to grasp. Through all your "responses" there is not a single piece of data to support your again unfounded concerns. Just the personal attacks. 

I posted my data and facts and provided a reasoned response to your concerns. If you will take the time to actually read up on the facts of the deal and look at the impact to the team from a reasoned perspective, you may find I have a point. You will absolutely find that I am very much in the majority.

When you finally reach apex of knowledge, you find me there waiting for you.

You are a real mental midget, but even then help me understand - how would it be possible to drop to your level and still have an intelligent debate?  Have you ever been around an intelligent debate or is duh about as far as you get?

You are a real mental midget, but even then help me understand - how would it be possible to drop to your level and still have an intelligent debate?  Have you ever been around an intelligent debate or is duh about as far as you get?

Thanks for proving me correct about you having to get the last word. Let me know when you want to talk football. You have degenerated to pure silliness. I really do have better things to do. See ya!   

Let me know when you want to talk football.

I will talk Football with you after you gain some knowledge. which based on your limited IQ is not possible.

Bye for now, pick you up tomorrow - I’d insult you some more today, but the sad truth is that you wouldn’t understand and if I tried to explain it to you, your brain might implode from information overload; better just to give you a daily dose.

I plan to humiliate you with each of your post on this site - you started it loser - let's keep on at it. I win today's round by a huge margin, but you always were a loser, been that way since the Polo days, my first encounter with your limited mental abilities.

Archived