Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GIF Breakdown: Redskins’ Joe Barry’ 4-2-5 Over vs 3 WR Sets and 3-4 Under Revisited

thehbrwhammer

Here is my latest film breakdown. During the bye week and up to this point I was curious as to the actual defensive schemes the Redskins were running under new defensive coordinator Joe Barry. Earlier this summer I pointed out that we were realistically switching to the 3-4 Under.

Basically, I wanted to confirm that, and upon watching more of the game tape I started noticing a trend against 11-personnel (3WR sets) where the Redskins would put Murphy and Kerrigan down in the 3-point stance and run 4-2-5 Over where the nose tackle sits in the weakside 1-tech and our strongside 5-tech (Hatcher, usually) jumps inside in the strongside 3-tech position for pass rushing through the B-gap.

Behind this defensive front that looked great the first couple of weeks (ahhh, I remember those days :( ), we started crumbling a part because of poor strong safety play and lack of pressure which allowed other teams to feast on our porous/injured secondary.

Let me know if you have any questions!

yeah, watching 9 guys not sack the QB was great.

Btw, love this. Read it twice today. Thank you.

In my defense, I used the word "almost" which indicates I don't quite miss Haz yet. 

Haslett was aggressive? lol. We had a run defense and relied on two players to get pressure (Orakpo - Kerrigan). That's it. It was literally the opposite of aggression.

Haslett defenses blitzed more often, which implies aggression. However, "aggression" is not synonymous with "effective." Haslett era defense was putrid.  

Haslett defenses blitzed more often, which implies aggression. However, "aggression" is not synonymous with "effective." Haslett era defense was putrid.  

Very true. It was kind of a necessity though since in that defense (3-4 Okie) the dline were two-gapping and block-reading. Just by nature of playing different defenses we shouldn't need to blitz as frequently under Barry to get the same pass rush.... Unfortunately the cost is our run defense.

Archived