Extremeskins

Redskins.com:Post-Game Quotes, Redskins-Seahawks

TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12227

Post-Game Quotes, Redskins-Seahawks

11/09/2003

HEAD COACH STEVE SPURRIER

On what he thought was the biggest play of the game:

“There were a lot of big plays in this game, but the biggest may have been when Laveranues Coles (WR, #80) stripped the defensive back who intercepted it and looked like he was going to score and Randy Thomas (G, #77) fell on it to give us the ball back on the 20-yard line. Otherwise, we’re down 21-3 and look like we’re in dire straits and going nowhere.”

On the Redskins’ play in their 27-20 victory over the Seahawks:

“Overall our guys played with a lot of effort. They played a lot smarter. We didn’t have near the number of careless penalties that we’ve had most of the year. That certainly gave us a good chance. It was an interesting game. Our guys played hard, and I’m proud of them.”

On Rod Gardner’s (WR, #87) game-winning touchdown pass to Trung Canidate (RB, #30):

“We’ve been throwing that pass [in practice] all year. It’s a pretty good play when they’re playing man-to-man because the ball is thrown and you sneak your [running] back out the other side. We decided that this was the time to go to it. It worked out.”

On going for it on fourth-and-1 deep in Redskins’ territory late in the game:

“We only needed a little bit, and it just seemed like we needed to keep the ball. It seemed like they weren’t scoring, but they were moving. I just felt like we needed to keep the defense off the field at that time if we could, and try to get something going offensively. When you’ve lost four in a row, you don’t have to play too conservatively or carefully. You’ve got to try to make something happen to win the game. Just about all of the players said ‘Let’s go for it.’ They were excited.”

On how he decided to give play-calling duties to Hue Jackson (Offensive Coordinator) this week:

“I talked to Mike Shanahan (Head coach of the Denver Broncos) earlier this week. He and Gary Kubiak (Offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos) call the plays together. I asked him how you do all that stuff. He said that he did about all of it for the first three or four years and then he gave it to Kubiak and all of a sudden they won a couple of Super Bowls with Kubiak calling the plays. I said ‘Maybe I’m struggling calling the plays right now. Maybe something isn’t working as well as it should.’ Hue Jackson and I put the script together, and we had the plays listed there. One guy has to be the main guy, and he asked to do it this week. I said ‘OK, go ahead.’ I was willing to try anything. What we had been doing lately wasn’t working very well.”

On Hue Jackson, and that Jackson called the offensive plays in today’s game:

“Hue is a very excited, enthusiastic coach who has really helped get the line going. He gets everybody going. He’s a high-energy guy, and he wanted to come down to the sideline and provide some of that for the team. I said ‘Shoot, I’ll try anything.’ If I have to bench the play caller, then I can do that. So, I benched myself.”

On which calls he made and which calls Hue Jackson made:

“Certainly, the fourth downs and those calls the head coach has to make those. He asked every now and then if I had anything that I liked. Basically, he called most of it.”

On Seattle’s infrequent blitzing on defense:

“They didn’t quite blitz us as much as we thought they might. They haven’t been a real big blitzing team. They didn’t do the all-out blitzing we thought they would. We thought that they would do a lot of stuff that Dallas did. They stuck to what they have been doing.”

On the play of the Redskins’ defense today:

“Our defense played awfully well, too, in the second half. Give those guys credit for keeping them out of the end zone. LaVar [Arrington] (LB, #56) was ready to play and had a good game. All those guys played pretty well.”

PATRICK RAMSEY (QB, #11)

On the winning touchdown:

“It’s a play we’ve had forever. We ran it last year against Tennessee and we’ve had it in the game plan for each game or at least a majority of the games we’ve played this year.”

Regarding the forth down conversion:

“I think that was a confidence booster. We were in there and Coach put his confidence in us and the game in our hands. Rock (Cartwright, RB #40) made a nice hard run off the line and got the first down and then we ran it down the field.”

On Rock Cartwright’s performance:

“Rock was huge today. Especially on that last drive. He ran the ball so very hard. He broke some tackles and he got the tough yards. He deserves every bit of credit he’s going to get for what he did in today’s game.”

On the game:

“Everybody around me played great today. The receivers played great. The offensive line gave me enough time to throw the ball. The backs blocked. Guys played well and it was a good team effort today to get the win.”

On the play-calling:

“There were a few more run plays today, but I don’t know who was calling the plays really. I got the calls from Coach Hue and I think he called a lot of the plays. That’s who I was talking to, but I think it was a real team effort.”

On the protection schemes:

“We were able to run the ball and mix it up. The offensive line gave me time to throw the ball and the receivers were making plays when I threw it out there.”

On how he feels after a game with few hard hits:

“I feel good. I think the thing today was that I had an opportunity to run the offense and it was a good feeling to get into a rhythm. Today we were in a rhythm, but there are some throws that I could have made. I’m going to go watch tape and learn from it.”

JON JANSEN (RT, #76)

On the game:

“We put some things today that worked for us and hopefully we can continue to do that. We’re all in this thing together and we want to go out and win as many games as possible. He wants to give us the best chance to win and everybody did what they had to do this week to get the win.”

On the play-calling:

“We run the plays that are called. Who calls them doesn’t matter. We just go out and try to execute. We did some things differently to make sure that we got the ball out and kept Patrick Ramsey protected.”

ROCK CARTWRIGHT (RB, #40)

On the attitude of the team:

“We had been struggling for four games and we wanted to come out and turn things around. We came out and got a victory today and that was what we wanted to do. We need to keep winning. The main goal is to continue to win. We’ve got Carolina next week and a good back in Stephen Davis, so we have to go out and play and try to get another win.”

On what the coaches told them prior to the game:

“The coaches told us that we were going to be put in positions to make plays and that is what happened. They put us in a position to make plays and guys made plays. We stepped up and we needed win today and that’s what we got.”

On team's preparation for the game:

“We practiced real hard this week. We came out focused; guys came in and worked hard. Coach Hue (Jackson) called plays today and did a great job. The defense stepped up when they needed to and it feels good to get a win.”

On the decision to go for it on 4th down:

“I just knew I had to get the first down. I thought I got it on 3rd down, but they didn’t give it to me, but I was able to get it on 4th down and that kept the drive moving.”

On the adjustments that were made for the game:

“We made a couple of adjustments as far as staying in and protecting the quarterback. They didn’t bring that much pressure today and we were able to run our offense and it worked out well for us.”

ROD GARDNER (WR, #87)

On his touchdown pass:

“It was a good call. It couldn’t have come at a better time. We showed them about five or six screens today, and this time Trung (Candidate, RB #30) got open and I had to get him the ball. I didn’t want to throw an interception so I made sure it was wide open.”

On the offense:

“I thought Hue (Jackson) did a great job calling plays today. We came out and mixed it up today with run and pass plays which gave us the opportunity to make some big plays.”

On the game:

“Seattle came out and played aggressively. Throughout the game we made plays and then they came back and made plays, but our defense came through in the end and we came away with a victory.”

On Laveranues Coles (WR, #80) and his fumble recovery:

“Laveranues made a great hustle play to knock the ball loose. He came through and knocked it loose at the one-yard line and killed their momentum.”

JEREMIAH TROTTER (LB, #54)

On The Team Win:

“We have to stick together. We’re a family. We win together. We lose together. That’s what we did today. Our motto was 'If we have to go down, we’re going to give them hell.' We fought a hard game, it came down to the wire, and fortunately we were able to get the win.”

On Rod Gardner’s (WR, #87) touchdown pass:

“They ran that play about three times during the week. It’s exciting when you watch a play all week, and it works in the game. We were all excited. They left it up to the defense, and we came through in the end.”

JESSIE ARMSTEAD (LB, #98)

On the offense’s play:

“It was a good mix up. They did a good job throwing the ball deep, throwing the ball short, and running the ball. Between Hue Jackson (Offensive Coordinator) and Coach Spurrier, they did a great job with the offense.”

On The Resilience Of The Team:

“Coach Spurrier already told us that he isn’t going anywhere. That’s the foundation. We will build around him, make plays, and take the win with the losses. We’re going to stick together.”

So, it seems that Jackson called more plays than I thought he did.

Interesting. He tends to run the ball a lot more than Spurrier does, even if Spurrier keeps telling everyone that he'll run it.

I think we have to limit Canidate's touches. I just don't think he is decisive enough. Get the ball to Rock and Betts, when he is healthy, more.

Archived