Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As bad as it is.

Art

A week of vacation left over 1,000 mails and 10 critical issues I had to address, so, in working over 100 hours this week to catch up I haven't posted since the very bad loss. Probably a good, cathartic thing as well, given how disappointing that loss and this team is at present. There is little doubt that with as bad as this team is right now that it can get much worse.

This team is in a terrible position of doubt and is playing with the sort of uncertainty that can RUIN a team that is capable of more. It's a cascading effect that can engulf this team and turn it in to an utterly horrible outfit that is left in tatters when the season ends. A few weeks ago you could see that this team was going to head in one direction or the other, being positive or negative, and without question it's clearly heading in the negative.

At present it's hard to imagine a team playing as horribly as ours is. Nothing we're doing appears to be planned. We are being tremendously out prepared by the opposition. We are blowing assignments and missing plays and missing opportunities to turn it around. Much of it seems to stem from a fundamental lack of belief by the key people on this team in Spurrier and his system.

Though the offensive line hasn't played terribly, and didn't play badly against Dallas, it is clear they are not enjoying the system. It's clear the running backs are unquestionably the worst in the league in blocking. Unlike last year where you started seeing improvement in how it was coming together, this year, it appears to be coming apart. It appears to be coming completely unglued.

The culmination is destroying this team and any chances of success under Spurrier. I still think Spurrier knows what he's doing. I think he's right to think if a running back simply BLOCKS an open blitzer that big things can happen. I just think he's shown he can't seem to connect with the guys to make that simple stuff happen and he seems to be without an answer as to how to connect.

This team isn't as negative about Spurrier as it was about Marty, but, something similar MUST happen for any hope to come of this year or next year. The team must unite under the PRIDE each player has as an individual to improve. When they did this with Marty, the team rose above its level and won despite elementary schemes and coaching imagination.

Here is our greatest upside that remains with Spurrier. Since Spurrier can't convince the players to do the simple things, and since they can't do them because they doubt his system so, the players HAVE to find it within themselves to simply not tolerate what's happening any longer and to rise above their mistakes. I don't think this team is showing signs of doing that, but IF that happens, an odd thing could happen.

The offense could begin to click again. Passes could come open. Chunks of yards could be had. And then you'll have an odd back ended way in which the team might come to believe again and then there is an upside. A future under Spurrier. But, it simply can't seem to stem from Spurrier himself. He seems to lack the ability to rally the troops. He seems to need them to rally themselves and if they do he may prove to be somewhat successful running his system because of it.

Marvin Lewis spent a LOT of time showing players last year how had they done their job in his system how the system would succeed. At no point did the players really seem to buy in though. They fought the system and wound up almost having it scrapped when the year ended. Despite Lewis' success, he couldn't generate the sort of attention he needed to lift the team. That would have taken more time and commitment from Lewis.

I don't get the same feeling from Spurrier and his system. It's no longer a matter of time for things to fall together. It's not even a matter of belief. It's now a matter where the players have to tap their egos to make themselves better despite Spurrier's system. At that point, whatever success Spurrier's system can have may be seen.

If there's anything left that defenses aren't ready for. And that's where you get to a troubling future potentially. Right now it appears the defenses know exactly what we're doing. It is remarkably frustrated when we throw into double coverage when three other guys are single covered. IT IS A HORRIBLE thing to watch as Ramsey checks to a blitz play short pass into the teeth of an eight-man coverage.

It is astonishing to watch as Ramsey drops back for a play where all the receivers are 20-yards downfield when the defense is blitzing eight. Spurrier's system seems to clearly be all or nothing. If its in the right play, there's no stopping it. But, getting in the right play has been very limited of late.

When Hasselbeck came in and completed a pass right away I turned to my wife and said, "See. Why haven't we thrown a SINGLE deep in/curl for three weeks?" Have you noticed how we haven't exploited that pass in WEEKS? It's ALWAYS there when teams are running those defenses. And we just NEVER throw it anymore. It's either a 1-yard pass, or a 20-yard pass anymore. There's NOTHING in between. And that's what Spurrier needs to get back to.

He needs to vary the distance he throws the ball to keep teams off balance. Some of it's not his fault. We get a couple of first downs then take a penalty that sets us back and alters how he can call plays. But, in the end I'm watching games wondering where the intermediate routes are. Why is everything either ALL short or ALL long. Where are the layered routes that were so beautiful to watch from Spurrier late last year and even early this year? It's like he's so caught up in trying to beat the other team's blitz with a punishing play that he's forgotten that three or four 15-yarders will do the same thing and develops fast enough to keep Ramsey from taking shots.

I still hope for the best. I just don't think that can happen without the players enjoying a little revolt and then finding out that, hey, things can work. Otherwise, we're in serious trouble.

nice post Art......not to respade old ground....but....

a lot of this is on the players....they just haven't executed well. this may be a combination of poor/inflexible/unintelligent coaching. but some of it is on the players. others have placed themselves above the team at times. to be quite frank, as much as I and all the rest of us are lavar fans, it is sometimes difficult to dertermine whether he is a team guy first....or a savvy businessman/self promoter who is making the most of his time on center stage.

a lot of this is on the FO. they totally fouled up personnel management for the defense. this cannot be overcome until the off season. they also do not evince an atmosphere of being in control and knowing where they are headed. they appear to have time specific strategies (e.g., off-season, draft, etc) or just ratchette from one short-term fix to another. after 4 years, tehre still doesn't appear to eb a consistent REDSKINS personnel strategy that builds toward a REDSKINS identity and a REDSKINS forula for winning football.

ASF is probably right: SOS has not surrounded himself at the coaching level with the experience and talent needed to rise to the next level. this has become painfully obviously - the preparation and gameplan from week to week looks horrendous. more critical, either at the coaching level or the players....it appars that no real leaders who demand excellence have emerged.

now...this is pure conjecture....but I'm willing to bet that if we build a dominant DEFNSIVE line....one that creaytes an aura of toughness and ddemonstrte sthe highest level of perfromance...the offense will come around. I can't support this idea....I just feel it. *amn...we have the talenty omn offense to win right now. true.......the running backs appear to be a glaring weakness and are sharing a large part of the responsibility for the constant success of blitzing packages. if memoery serves, there are always a good many blocking fullbacks available during the off-season. SOS is going to have to make a choice. As for TE....*ell....if we aren't going to use them in the passing game anyway....why not just use another tackle? I know...far fetched - but maybe for a few games worth experimenting with on running plays or max protect passing.

PR does not appear to be executing the offense very well. figuring out the cause/effect relationship here can be problematic. Is his execution deteriorating because he is under constant pressure, o ius he under constant pressure beecause he can't execute bthe sorts fo quick hitting strikes that exact a penalty? he needs more work on this and I think the O-line players know this but are keeping quiet while absorbing the bulk of the criticism.

oddly....I knew we would never get anywhere with Martyball and sodidn't care as much. but something keeps nagging me about SOS's system. as bad as things are, it just seems that the problems we have ccan be corrected and this offensive system can succeed. here's hoping that it does.

Originally posted by fansince62

nice post Art......not to respade old ground....but....

now...this is pure conjecture....but I'm willing to bet that if we build a dominant DEFNSIVE line....one that creaytes an aura of toughness and ddemonstrte sthe highest level of perfromance...the offense will come around. I can't support this idea....I just feel it. *amn...we have the talenty omn offense to win right now. true.......the running backs appear to be a glaring weakness and are sharing a large part of the responsibility for the constant success of blitzing packages. if memoery serves, there are always a good many blocking fullbacks available during the off-season. SOS is going to have to make a choice. As for TE....*ell....if we aren't going to use them in the passing game anyway....why not just use another tackle? I know...far fetched - but maybe for a few games worth experimenting with on running plays or max protect passing.

I'm questioning much more than just the attitude of the OL. I'm also questioning ability. Personally, Jansen and Samuels have both shown me nothing that indicates they will ever be very good in a pass first offense. These two, more than anything in the world, would probably like to be in Carolina blocking for Davis.

Dockery is another story. He's a rookie and therefore should be given the benefit of the doubt for one more season.

Thomas, of course, is playing very well and should serve as an example to the other linemen.

Moore appears to be terrible as center. Perhaps ASF is right about trying him about at LG. Without a doubt, Freidman has consistently looked better at the C position even during his limited action.

It's unfortunate that we now must worry about overhauling both the OL and DL in the offseason. I'm not certain that this can be accomplished in one offseason and, as such, who knows how much better we'll really be next season. Maybe SOS will need a fourth season.

I don't think any coaching excuse is more lame than "the players aren't executing." It's precisely the coach's job to put the players in a position where they WILL execute. It doesn't matter whether it's done by any of the following, or combination thereof: (1) devising successful schemes and gameplans that take advantage of your oppenents' weaknesses; (2) running plays that maximize your players' respective strengths; (3) motivating players through intimidation, loyalty, or competitive spirit; (4) running practices that demand and ingrain excellence; (5) employing mid-game, change-on-the-fly strategy; (6) recognizing how to leverage your assistant coaches and ensuring their schemes are sound; (7) projecting swagger that trickles down to your team; and/or (8) handling crisis and snuffing out rifts or brewing conflicts before they develop.

When you see coaches like Parcells drain every ounce of talent from his players, or Belichick overcoming injuries and adverse circumstances with brilliant game-plan, or Vermeil repeatedly build confident teams with personality, you see the way it's supposed to be done. Take the talent and circumstances that you were dealt and figure out how to get the best from that crop.

A lost game can be excused by the phrase "the players didn't execute." A lost season can not.

Archived