Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Barry Ready For Defense's First Challenge

He needs to hope he is ready, his alternative is to find a new job next year. His revised D will be a focus this year.

Help me understand what your expectation is? I am not trying to be an ass here, but it feels like unless this guy provides a #1 D in the first game he will never be given a chance.

He inherited a ****ing ****storm of a D. It is still  missing major parts, we all knoiw this. So what do we really expect? Let me help with what I know will happen with our D:

1. There will be missed tackles.

2. There will some missed assignments.

3. Our secondary will get beat and beat bad sometimes.

4. Our pass rush will look lackluster, especially in the beginning.

5. There will be some stupid penalties.

So yes, there will be more of the same. But is it realistic to expect this guy to come in and completely turn around a very bad performing D in one off season? Not even a real football season?

The absolute best we can hope for even if you brought in "fill in who you think the best DC in football is" it would take some time (a few seasons) to improve. For me, I just want to see improvement. As the season goes on, the items I listed above should get fewer and further apart. And we should start seeing guys make plays. As they start to get more comfortable in the system they will be able to anticipate more and more.

I will be extremely disappointed if Barry is let go after this year unless SM fires Jay. If that's the case then I would expect him to fire most of the staff that was either here when he got here, or Jay wanted to hire. Even then, I will be a little disappointed in Scot. We need continuity! Everyone keeps saying it, then we get a new coach, and people want him fired during preseason!!

I know you all bleed B&G like I do. Please, I just ask that you give this guy a fair chance. Let's see what he does over the season before passing judgment.

Help me understand what your expectation is? I am not trying to be an ass here, but it feels like unless this guy provides a #1 D in the first game he will never be given a chance.

Barry needs to show significant improvement in the D. Because, he has no record of ever doing that as a D Coordinator and there is no reason to believe he is capable - basically he needs to prove his worth. We are all asked to do that, at least in the private sector, and the ones that don't, get to look for another job.  That doesn't mean he has to be a top 5 D but with all the additions on the D side he needs to be in the top 15.

Gruden also needs to show significant improvement, especially in the area of discipline, it was a disaster last year and continuity of a disaster/failure is not a worthwhile endeavor. 

Sorry about being mean but it is a time to move on to something that works and patience with failure is not a way to do that.

Barry needs to show significant improvement in the D. Because, he has no record of ever doing that as a D Coordinator and there is no reason to believe he is capable - basically he needs to prove his worth. We are all asked to do that, at least in the private sector, and the ones that don't, get to look for another job.  That doesn't mean he has to be a top 5 D but with all the additions on the D side he needs to be in the top 15.

Gruden also needs to show significant improvement, especially in the area of discipline, it was a disaster last year and continuity of a disaster/failure is not a worthwhile endeavor. 

Sorry about being mean but it is a time to move on to something that works and patience with failure is not a way to do that.

I am sorry my friend I just don't see how you cannot be disappointed. The expectations are too high. I agree he needs to show improvement. But coaches do not make tackles or bat down passes. At some point the players have to do their job. It takes to build a successful Def.

Time will tell. We get our first glimpse tomorrow. I am in Italy so I will have to pay to see it but pay I will.   Here is to a huge surprise victory for the Washington Redskins!!    HTTR!!!!    :P  :D

I am sorry my friend I just don't see how you cannot be disappointed. The expectations are too high. I agree he needs to show improvement. But coaches do not make tackles or bat down passes. At some point the players have to do their job. It takes to build a successful Def.

Time will tell. We get our first glimpse tomorrow. I am in Italy so I will have to pay to see it but pay I will.   Here is to a huge surprise victory for the Washington Redskins!!    HTTR!!!!    :P  :D

The coaches don't make the tackles and bat down the passes but they are responsible for coaching and selecting players that can do just that. If they don't succeed at selecting/coaching the right players they should be fired.

You also have to start with a success record and Barry doesn't have that - a little hard to follow your attachment to him at this point without some success. However, if you like him go for it.

I watch the game on the Internet from Texas but the time zone is much closer than Italy. Have a good trip and don't stay up to late. 

The coaches don't make the tackles and bat down the passes but they are responsible for coaching and selecting players that can do just that. If they don't succeed at selecting/coaching the right players they should be fired.

You also have to start with a success record and Barry doesn't have that - a little hard to follow your attachment to him at this point without some success. However, if you like him go for it.

I watch the game on the Internet from Texas but the time zone is much closer than Italy. Have a good trip and don't stay up to late. 

I have no attachment to him at all. But I am willing to give the guy a chance He has already been sentenced to football death based 2 yrs out of a much longer career. 

Maybe he will suck. But maybe not. Either way I would just like to see him get a fair chance. And saying he has no history of success ids not true. He has been successful in several facets of the D. He had a bad 2 yrs on a bad team. Let's at last give the guy a shot. 

Anyway, I hope we play well, win or lose. 

goskins10 - I have no attachment to him at all. But I am willing to give the guy a chance He has already been sentenced to football death based 2 yrs out of a much longer career. 

I am willing to have Barry succeed, however; there are a lot of people doing the wrong thing in life and they should never be encouraged to continue, especially as a Redskins DC. At this point it is up to Barry to prove it was not a mistake to make him a DC and one more short chance is way more than enough time to do that.

I have no problem tagging Barry as a failure based on his past and this coming year's performance; that is all we have to say he is a winner of loser. However; the 20+ years of Redskins failure does make me over sensitive about losing and gives me no tolerance for losers - sorry but it is time to move on from losing.

The bigger issue is that Barry was Gruden's hire, and Gruden has yet to prove he is a good head coach, especially in the areas of personnel selection and discipline. Barry is the failure Gruden cannot afford and if it occurs he will be out of a job - perhaps before the years is completed with Callahan replacing him. It will also make it difficult for Gruden get another head coaching job, so he is the one that is really on the spot for Barry.

You still have an excellent trip and HTTR.

Archived