Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

#Redskins & Lions Postgame Transcripts

TK

blank%20header_zpsc0xw5cm2.gif

August 20, 2015

FedExField

**The following interviews aired on the Redskins Broadcast Network on NBC-4 and CSN**

Wide Receiver DeSean Jackson

stripe%20break_zpsabnw1vhg.gif

On his health:

“I think I’m about like 85 percent. I had a grade two separation of my shoulder. First off, I’ve got to stay healthy, man. Preseason is one of them things where you’ve got to get the timing down with the quarterbacks, so I’m missing a little time but I’m doing everything I can to get back right.”

On the comments by quarterback Robert Griffin III earlier in the week:

“I mean, shoot, we’re in it – we’re professional athletes, man. You know, we play at the best of the best. This is the NFL. As far as his confidence and what he feels about himself, I think everyone is supposed to feel that way. The time when I said no one can guard me, I’d be a fool and a half to say ‘This person or that person can guard me or stop me.’ We put so much hard work into doing what we do, I think it’s only right for that man to feel that way.”

On defensive end Ricky Jean Francois’ dance moves:

“That boy Francois, he’s got some little moves. We’re always telling him, ‘You know that peanut butter jelly dance…’ There’s something about them boys out from where he’s from that them boy have got something in their blood. He’s getting it, though.”

Linebacker Ryan Kerrigan

On his health:

“It’s good. I’ve been fortunate to have had the surgery in May, so my knee is feeling a lot better than it was earlier in the offseason. So I’m feeling good now and I’m just ready to get back out there.”

On his reaction to the signing of linebacker Junior Galette:

“Very exciting for us. It’s very exciting for the whole defense, the whole team. The guy is a proven pass rusher. He’s had double-digit-sack seasons. He really knows what he’s doing from the pass rushing standpoint.”

August 20, 2015

FedExField

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On quarterback Robert Griffin III :

“Robert, he had a concussion. He is following concussion protocol at this time. Obviously he won’t be fielding any questions. We will get a further exam and do all the things we have to do.”

On Griffin’s shoulder:

“They checked his shoulder and the concussion, obviously, but his shoulder is okay.”

On if hits affected how long Griffin played:

“No, we felt confident in our tackle and our offensive line to try and get something going there with the fourth drive. Unfortunately, it didn’t happen.”

On the reason for the sacks:

“I’ll have to check the film out, I don’t know. The first one, Brandon Scherff got bulled back and gave up a bull rush, Robert got startled and got sacked. Second one I’ll have to wait and see. I think our LT got bull rushed back and bumped into the quarterback. I’m not sure about the third one. We gave up some pressure tonight no doubt about it. We have to do a better job of protecting the quarter back, better scheme wise and stay out of those nasty third and longs.”

On if he knows the length of time Griffin will be out:

“No, no idea… We’ll have to see, I would imagine depending on how long he is out he is still going to be our starter. We have to wait and go through the whole process and see how he recovers, see how fast he recovers. I have no idea as far as third preseason game, fourth one, right now.”

On if Griffin could have avoided the sacks:

“I’ll have to wait and see. On the sideline it seems easy or from replay – slide here, move here. I think the first one, it happened so quick, he got bull rushed and then he got hit. On the second one he got bull rushed, felt the pressure and then lost sight downfield. We’ll have to wait and see. I’m not going to lay any blame on the QB or the offensive line, we’ll just wait and see. It was not a very good performance for our first-team offense, to say the least. I think we had one first down in four drives and a turnover. We have a lot of work to do.”

On the first quarter drives:

“It’s frustrating but I said to the team, it’s the second preseason game. We’re trying to get better. We want to have some momentum going into the season obviously. If we have some drives that don’t work out, Detroit was the No. 2-ranked defense in the league last year. They’re a good team, a very good defensive football team. We have some guys not playing. We’re going to continue with our process, second preseason game, third preseason game, fourth preseason game, get our team as ready as possible. We’re not going to be doom and gloom because we didn’t get any points with our ones in the first quarter.”

On linebacker rAdam Hayward:

“He’s getting checked for an ACL. We’ll know more tomorrow.”

On why tackle Trent Williams sat out tonight’s game:

“In practice the other day, he hurt his foot – his right foot. Not his bad foot. He sprained his right foot a little bit. He’ll be day-to-day. He should be OK.”

On if it’s good to see progress with the running backs:

“Absolutely. Matt Jones continues to hit the hole the way we want him to – hard. He gets through the second level, he’s a problem. Trey [Williams] makes some excellent runs. And of course, Chris Thompson continues to do what he’s been doing throughout camp. Very exciting to see those backs step up and make some plays. You know when you’re not protecting your quarterback that great and your passing game is not working so good, it’s nice to rely on a good strong running game. That’s what sparked us – the running game got us a couple big hits there. Got us some good positive field position – we did some good things. With Robert [Griffin III], we didn’t get the running game really going. We had one good hit with Alfred, but other than that it was one or zero, and we were stuck in the long yardage. Detroit’s defense did a nice job stopping us in the first quarter.”

On his level of concern behind Williams at left tackle:

“I think Willie [smith] played pretty good. We still have Tom Compton, he’s still here doing some good things. We’ve got Morgan [Moses] we can flip over there. We have a lot of options and a lot of versatility on our offensive line right now. Not a lot, but when you talk about replacing a pro-bowler, that’s always a concern because he is one of our best players on this football team and usually when you go from a pro-bowler to whoever you go to, it’s not going to be the same.”

On evaluating special teams after losing Adam Hayward and Niles Paul:

“It’s a big blow for special teams, you’re right. And leadership – Adam was voted captain. He just got here from Tampa last year, and he was voted captain unanimously. That’s the type of guy he is in the locker room, and Niles too. That is a big blow – more so off the field in the locker room than on the field. But they are both impactful players on the field. Also, it’s unfortunate, but we’re not going to rule out on Adam just yet. We don’t know the depth of his injury. We’ll wait and see.”

On sending Griffin back out for a fourth series after struggles with protection:

“We weren’t doing that well on offense. I wanted to get something going on offense. A lot of quarterbacks play into the second quarter in a pre-season game. Football is a tough sport. We wanted to get something going offensively. Unfortunately, it didn’t work out.”

On guard Brandon Scherff:

“It’s hard for me to say. I just know the one pressure he gave up. We tried to run to the right a couple of times and Detroit did an excellent job of stopping it. I’ll have to wait and see. I’m not going to give him a, ‘Great, great,’ or a ‘Terrible, great,’ from where I saw on the sidelines.”

August 20, 2015

FedExField

Lions Head Coach Jim Caldwell

On the game:

“I think that we started out decent. Defensively I thought we came out and performed well there at the start of the game. Offensively we kind of sputtered but still got a score on the board. [Dan] Orlovsky came in and did a good nice job, but the big difference was I think we just had a numbers situation where we got penalized too much. That is what happens to you and penalties will mar things for you and we had nine penalties as opposed to last week I think we had three. That makes a tremendous difference. We kind a missed a few tackles… They made us miss a few times as well but overall obviously we have a lot to work on and we are looking to make some improvements all across the board. ”

On guard Larry Warford and defensive tackle Caraun Reid:

“They just got nicked up a little bit and that is part of the game, but we will see how serious it is the next couple of days or so.

On tight end Jordan Thompson’s injury:

“Not certain yet…”

On defensive end Ezekiel Ansah’s injury:

“You know, we had a few guys a little bit nicked but we will see what happens when we evaluate them a little farther .”

On if quarterback Dan Orlovsky put a hold on the backup quarterback spot:

“Well, he has had very good performance this year. Dan is a guy who has a really good understanding of the system. He does a good job in terms of the leadership and he is effective. So, he is doing a good job but this is game two and we have a little ways to go yet.”

On running back Zach Zenner:

“You can tell he has got something. He has a very unusual kind of a running style. He has power, he can make you miss, he can catch the ball, he is a good pass protector and he keeps getting better all the time. He is also on special teams and he is also a solid performer as well. He has done well …”

On the defense:

“I think that with that particular group they played well the first four series and I think that we should feel good about that, but we have a ways to go and we still don’t have Jason [Jones] or  Haloti [Ngata] not back, and both of those guys play an integral part in what we do. So, I anticipate we will be stepping up a little more but overall that group did pretty well but the concern is what happened after that… after that group went out we didn’t perform very well.”

On running the ball:

“Sometimes it’s tough to tell, we have to look at the film to see if there was breakdown here or there and like I said a couple of penalties kind of knocked off some of the reasonable runs that probably would have put us somewhere – not where we were last week, but certainly put us in a scenario where we were respectable and we weren’t respectable from looking at the numbers. But that’s good because we will have the opportunity to improve and get better.”

On seeing defensive linemen Caraun Reid and Tyrun Walker getting into the backfield:

“Those two guys have done well and done a nice job in terms coming off the ball with some force and power. They play with a lot of activity and they are not one dimensional and they can certainly play the run. They stick their nose in there nice and tight and they run to the ball well and they have shown that they can put some pressure on the quarterback, which is key, which is what you have to do in this league. And that is encouraging but we still have a lot of work to do.”

On the defense:

“I don’t think we are where we are capable of being and we have a lot of work to do but I think we are headed in the right direction.”

On running back Ameer Abdullah and the number of carries he had tonight:

“You know, it’s circumstances with the ball game and the flow of things, how they go and there will be games like that, particularly when you are playing a limited amount of time.”

On what worked defensively in the first quarter:

“I think the guys up front with their pass rush did a nice job collapsing the pocket and they got a couple of one-on-one opportunities with that he [Robert Griffin III] is a dangerous guy if he gets out the pocket he can give you some problems and obviously he has a strong arm. So, it was good to see out guys get up field and work against a good quarterback.”

On why Stephen Tulloch and DeAndre Levy are successful blitzing:

“Because they have done it before. They did it all last year… It is something that we do and we don’t shy away from it. We are active in that regard and I think that is part of our package. We can give you some problems in that area.”

On the kickers:

“It was an opportunity to get some other guys in the mix a little bit. This is kind of the game we anticipated we would do that and so we gave everybody a little work and all three guys performed well.”

On the playing time for the safeties:

“Coach’s decision.”

On wide receiver Ryan Broyles not playing much until late in the game:

“Coach’s decision as well.”

On how he makes the coaching decisions:

“It all varies from week to week, it just kind of depends. Sometimes it’s that indeed [he knows what the older guys can do because they are vets], sometimes it’s other things. It’s just the way it turned out this particular game.”

On what stood out about the receivers on the field:

“Couple of young guys. Vernon [Johnson] made a couple of nice catches out there, moved around well. [Andrew] Pea**** was always active in that area. I think there were some bright spots. We get a chance to look at a lot of different guys. I think by the time we get through this next game we’re going to have a pretty good sense of who our guys are in the fourth game and if we have some questions we still get a real good look.”

On how quarterback Matthew Stafford played:

“Well. He’s done well. I think improving in those areas and the first two games he’s done a nice job in terms of getting the ball where it’s supposed to be and I think you’ll see him continue that. He hasn’t turned it over which is good as well.”

On the statuses Warford and Reid:

“I’m not sure. I’m not sure until I get back in after they have had the opportunity to look at them really good and make a determination. Sometimes you don’t know until tomorrow or maybe the next day or the day after.”

On other injured players:

“I’ll leave that up to the coaches to make that determination what we see, what we think, what’s important to us.”

On running back Theo Riddick:

“I think every week is a progression, and I don’t think you’re ever going to see someone just kind of blow the doors off. It doesn’t happen. So there’s going to be some ups and downs, ebbs and flows to the point they get really consistent. I think some guys are moving in that direction.”

On Erik Kramer:

“Obviously I don’t know him but he’s an integral part of  this organization and I know he was here for  a couple of big years and a couple of big wins and we’ve been praying for him. Tough time for his family and we’ll continue to pray for him.”

August 20, 2015

FedExField

Lions QB Matthew Stafford

On running back Zach Zenner and other rookies:

“This time of year, we see them every day in practice. They’re going against guys on our team we think are good football players, so you have a good feeling what guys are capable of. It’s always fun to see them under the bright lights against another team to see what they can do. Every game there’s some guys that show up and play well, that are young and inexperienced, so it’s good to see some of those guys show up and play pretty good.”

On the Lions’ defense:

“It was impressive. I thought our guys did a heck of a job. Still down a few guys up front that’ll be healthy hopefully sometime soon, so it’s that defense we saw last year. They played fantastic. They’re all on the same page. They give you a bunch of different looks and disguising. They stopped the run and made them throw it. They did a pretty good job on that too.”

On running back Ameer Abdullah:

“He’s still learning. He’s got that natural ability to run with the football and catch out of the backfield and all that kind of stuff there’s no question, but he’s still learning the game, still learning the speed of it. This next game will be even more so just because we’ll actually game plan, take a look at some guys. I’m sure we’ll get some new wrinkles from teams and that’s the way it goes, but he’s an intelligent kid. He likes to work, he enjoys the game and that’s fun to be around.”

On his play during the game:

“I felt good out there. We were close. I had to cut loose that ball to Corey Fuller on that last one a little bit earlier than I wanted to. I wish I could’ve held on to it a half-second longer and maybe put it out in front and we could’ve had a big play but I had a great first drive. We had a penalty kind of derail us, we had a chance there late on that third down they did a pretty good job on covering us up but, it’s part of it. We’re efficient. [We threw and caught the ball pretty well]. Obviously room for improvement always. Find ways to get a little bit better here and there, but I was happy with it. I thought our tempo was good. It’s sometimes difficult on the road, especially in preseason you know, guys coming in and out of the game. It’s just substitution stuff that’s not as crisp as when you have fifty three on the sideline as when you have ninety, so I thought we did a decent job of pushing the tempo and could probably play a little faster.”

On quarterback Robert Griffin III being pressured and sacked:

“Yeah, it’s tough. I think our guys did a pretty good job of covering up some of their reads and our pass rushers were great. The guys were getting in the backfield and causing havoc and they must’ve been taking away stuff down the field because he was looking to get out a little bit and our guys were doing a good job of getting after him. That’s what they’re supposed to do. It’s nice to see that from our defense.”

On quarterback Dan Orlovsky’s play:

“I think both those guys [Dan Orlovsky and Kellen Moore], they love the game. They prepare extremely hard. We’ll see what happens. I’m best friends with both of them. They’re best friends with each other. It’s a great atmosphere to be around, honestly. Whenever we talk about it, we just talk about being as good as we can possibly be. They’re extremely valuable to me. They push me in ways and find ways to help me out. So I think it’s been good for both of them. They’re both playing well.”

On rookie fullback Michael Burton:

“That was good to see him. It was a good, physical end of the run. There was just a great feel on that play honestly. Not too many fullbacks in the league make that good, little move and then throw it to their inside hip and turn in up the field. It just looked natural for him so he, along with all of the other rookies, is learning. This is a difficult league, especially that position. It’s physical as all get out, but at the same time you have to be an intelligent, heavy player. He’s got a great coach coaching him in Coach [Curtis] Modkins. He and Ameer [Abdullah] are doing a great job for us. It’s been positive to have those two guys.”

Lions QB Dan Orlovsky

On how much of a fire was lit under him after losing second-team reps:

“I feel like I’m a pretty self-motivated and driven person. I just try and go work hard and do my job.” 

On how he thinks he played tonight:

“I don’t really go and grade it, what not. I watch the film and see where I can get better and go from there and I’m sure they’re areas.”

On why Zach Zenner was successful tonight:

“Yeah, Zach’s a good player. I think he’s done a nice job since he’s gotten here. I think the thing that stands out is that that group is really coached well by [Curtis] Modkins. Good player, [he’s] got good vision, good smarts. He runs hard. He’s reliable in the pass game. Those two passes to him near the end, that and it was the offensive line and Zach on the whole drive. He’s just a good player, and it’s good for him to continue to stack. I try to tell these young kids, you get one good day and I kind of relate it to going the hardest you can go. The hardest thing in the NFL is to follow up a good day at practice and then the hardest thing is to follow up a good game, and then the hardest thing is to follow up a good season. Then you look back and you’re 7-8-9-10, 12 years in and you go, ‘Wow I had a career.’ He continues to stack good things upon good things, and good things will come.” 

Lions RB Zach Zenner

On making his statement tonight:

“I really try to make my quotes and statements on the field. I try to make that speak loudly on the field. Tonight was a little up and down for the offense, we got to be better.”

On making an impact in the running game and passing game:

"It is important. That's what the preseason is for. It's not a lot of action right now. So that's what these games are for, guys like me. I'm blessed to have a lot of [opportunity]."

On what it is like to score a touchdown:

"It's cool. It almost surprised me there. I knew we were in the red zone there and to catch it was kind of cool."

On if he will keep the ball from his first touchdown:

"No. Maybe I'll save that one for the regular season."

August 20, 2015

FedExField

QB Kirk Cousins

On his performance tonight:

“I liked it. I thought it was a good night. Not just when I was playing but I think the whole offense we did a good job. We got the win - which is most important. We protected the football. We made plays. In the short amount of time that I was in there, I felt good about what we were able to accomplish.”

On if he thinks his athletic ability is underrated:

“I don’t think it’s underrated. I just think I need to use it more. I don’t use it enough. I’ve been watching tape on a lot of these good quarterbacks and they move around. The pocket is imperfect. You have to be able to make plays off schedule. I think I’m capable of that I just need to do it more and be aware of those opportunities and that’s a work in progress.”

On if he knows next week’s plan for the quarterbacks:

“No, I don’t think so. Usually I find out about it the morning of when I’m going to play. I don’t really ask ahead too much. I don’t expect to know too much ahead of time. NFL sometimes stands for the ‘No Feedback League.’ You never really know what’s going to happen. You just learn to roll with whatever’s going on.”

On seeing quarterback Robert Griffin III’s injury:

“Part of the game. The job of a backup quarterback is to stay ready and jump in and have the offense not miss a beat. That’s what it’s been like for three years and that’s what it’ll continue to be.”

On if he saw the play in which Griffin got hurt:

“Every play is different. He did a good job of standing in there. There’s a lot of guys that don’t make it to this level because they don’t stand in there. I thought he did a really good job on one especially, on a third-down staring down the barrel and making a great strong throw and taking the hit. His toughness and his willingness to keep pushing is really impressive.”

On the depth on this team:

“I think for a while now we’ve done really well here in the preseason. I think the last several years if you add up our win-loss record it would be pretty good. That says something about the depth we have in training camp. A lot of those guys we have to get rid of or they go on the practice squad and they aren’t able to help us. It’s a different game when you’re not playing against the ones. It is a different game. For whatever reason we seem to have a lot of depth the last few years on this team.”

On if not playing against the ones affects his evaluation:

“You have to evaluate what you’re given a chance to do. If that’s the opportunity you’re given then you have to make the most of it. I think the good thing is, the last couple of weeks, I’ve been able to do that.”

QB Colt McCoy

On his performance:

“I thought I did alright. We moved the ball up and down the field. I thought our run game was outstanding. Anytime we can run the football, it opens up a lot of things for us offensively. I think we just wanted to get in there and settle down, settle the guys down and run the football. It is what we are going to do and throw a few play-actions off of that. I felt like we did a pretty good job.”

On if he was able to get into a rhythm:

“I want to do whatever it takes to move the ball up and down the field. I felt like overall, those guys did a really nice job with that tonight. We wanted to get points right there before halftime, wished I could’ve stayed on my feet. We bobbled the snap and ended up not getting points but bounced back in the third quarter and drove down and scored a touchdown. That was big for our group.”

On the fumble before halftime:

“They will give me a hard time about it. I couldn’t get a handle on it, unfortunately. We were pretty resilient. We bounced back and scored some points. Overall tonight, my thoughts and prayers are with Robert [Griffin III], and especially Adam Hayward. He is a great locker room guy and one of my best friends on the team. I didn’t realize that he had gone down until I got off the field, and so I hope everything is okay with him. You never want to see that happen in the preseason. He is a leader on our team and also Robert. I am praying for a speedy recovery for him. We need him. Overall, I felt like we moved the ball, scored some points, that was good. But my heart is heavy for some of the guys that got injured. You never want to see that in the preseason.”

RB Matt Jones

On his early success breaking tackles:

“That’s just what the Lord blessed me with right there – toughness and stuff like that.”

On getting used to the size of NFL defenders:

“Yeah, that’s definitely a good point, too. Them big guys, they’re way big. Definitely coming from the SEC, you get hit by big guys too so that kind of got me ready for it.”

On the running back duo of him and Chris Thompson:

“Obviously you’re going to have trouble with that [combination] because you’ve got a big back and then you’ve got a scat back who can run real fast, so it takes a defense to kind of game plan [for] us… I don’t think they really game planned for that.”    

DE Ricky Jean Francois

On what he needs to work on with younger players:
"Lining up on the field, just telling them where to be, where not to be and stuff like that. It's everywhere, it's not just anything I can pinpoint that I need to work on, but rather everything I need to work on."

On the current morale of the team:
"Everybody is close. It's almost like a family. The thing is we tell everybody, this is going to be a great team and we don't want you to miss out on this great team. That's why you’ve got to go out there and hustle, you’ve got to practice. I understand that coaches say stay out of the training room, but the cold tub and the hot tub are not the training room. So, you just tell guys in here that the same way you see us practice hard with nicks, bruises, and bumps we want you all to do the same thing because we want you to be a part of something that is about to be great this season."

G Brandon Scherff

On the play of the offensive line:

“It’s unacceptable. It is preseason, we have to fix those. We have to come ready to go next time.”

On his play:

“It is all technique. It is on me and I’ve just got to come in and improve.”

On what a young offensive line needs to do to improve:

“Just got to go out and play football. You’ve got to stop thinking and play football.”

On what he needs to work on during practice this week:

“Everything. If you think you’re perfect in anything, you need to stop playing football. You can always improve, no matter what it is.”

T Trent Williams

On the guard Brandon Scherff and tackle Morgan Moses:

“I think [they are] good. We’ve got a great young core over there, a lot of talent between the two of those guys. I think they’re going to be good for a long time to come.”

On having two young linemen adjusting to major playing time at the same time:

“Just adjusting to the NFL game is going to be difficult regardless, but it’s not a huge deal. Those guys are highly touted players. They’re professionals. They get paid to do a job and we have all the faith in the world that they’re going to get that job done.”

On dealing with quarterback Robert Griffin III’s injury:

“Yeah, it’ s going to be tough without Robert, but no matter how much time he has to miss, if he has to miss any – you know, I’m speculating, but it’s a next man up league and those guys [quarterbacks Colt McCoy and Kirk Cousins] will be ready to play if Robert can’t go.”

On being an offensive lineman and seeing Griffin take big hits:

“It definitely makes you cringe. You don’t want to see your quarterback get hit at all in the preseason or regular season, so it’s definitely not a pleasant feeling. I’m glad to see that he’s OK, that it was nothing serious but you don’t want to see, whether its Robert or Colt or Kirk, you don’t want to see any of the quarterbacks hit the ground.”

On if he is concerned about the offense:

“It’s hard to say. You’re looking at guys play maybe 12 to 15 plays as opposed to a whole game where you get a rhythm – where you start to wear guys down, where you start to see tendencies, where you even use a game plan. We don’t game plan for these preseason games so just trying to judge off the first 10-12 plays [of the first-team offense] is hard.”

On how quickly the young parts of the offensive line can adjust:

“I think they can adjust fairly quickly. Like I said, they’re both really smart and they’re both really advanced in knowing the game. Those guys are really the least of my worries. They’ll be fine.”  

TE Je’Ron Hamm

On building a rhythm while playing with different players:

"Well, I was on the practice squad all last year, so with a new quarterback, it didn't matter. I played with all three of them last year, so the rhythm, it really didn't change anything at all. We practice with each other and we switch it up in practice, so that really isn't an issue out there. It's just really good communication and executing the play.”

On his 23-yard reception from Colt McCoy:

"It's just another play. The goal is to get better next week. We didn't convert for a score on that drive, but I'm glad I could do that for my teammates and hopefully they have a little more faith in me despite being a younger player."

On if he improves more from preseason games as compared to practice:

"Definitely. In a game, it’s guys you never went against. You kind of want to see how they play, but you can't let that slow you down. In practice, our guys do a great job giving us the looks to be well prepared when we do face a new team. Our scout team runs pretty good looks, so I wasn't shocked by anything today."

FB Darrel Young

On the reason for offense’s early struggles:

“I guess we both had a rough start honestly. I think it was 3-0 in the first quarter, I believe… but we didn’t really do the things we wanted to do. We rushed the ball a little bit and we kind of got ourselves a little behind in terms of putting ourselves in wrong situations where we talked about what we didn’t want to do. We didn’t capitalize when we needed to on first and second down… some third down situations, had to punt. Thought [punter] Tress [Way] did a great job when he came in and punted so, that’s what the game’s about. At the end of the day, we won. We ran for over 150-plus yards again so that’s something exciting to come out of it, but we have to be better in the first quarter and you put the starters out there to do a job and we did kind of run them down. We won the game but I think the twos and threes are doing a great job.”

On struggling early on third down:

“I know Sean [McVay], our offensive coordinator, has been emphasizing being 50 percent on third downs this year and that’s something we didn’t do as a unit. So, we’ve got to be better, but like you said it’s a team effort right now and all the stats are combined [from the first, second and third teams] and that’s what you look forward to.”

On seeing quarterback Robert Griffin III go down:

“It’s really tough anytime you see anyone go down. You see Adam [Hayward] go down, Robert. Any time anyone goes down in any situation and you know those guys they’ve been major contributors to your team, it hurts. I hope both of those guys are all right. I don’t know really what the situation is with both of them but seeing Robert walk and seeing Adam, they’re in good spirits so we can go with it.”

Archived