What's your defensive philosophy?

dustinwhylee

Defensive Philosophy  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What's your defensive philosophy?

• Boom or bust
    • Bend but don't break

Gruden: Defensive assessment revealed deficiencies in talent, not schematics

“I’ve said a lot that it’s sometimes not so much about the plays, but about the players and we’re trying to do a better job of getting better players in here to help fit his scheme and what [Haslett] wants to do,” Gruden said. “I think we have addressed that with free agency and in the draft and I think we’ve given them better players, so now he can go out and call a lot of different defenses and be effective as opposed to being handcuffed, so to speak, last year or whatever.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/

There is that word again, handcuffed.

I thought it was telling that Mike in his exit interview mentioned the defense is what got hurt by the cap penalty. Almost lobbying for Jim to be retained.... maybe to screw us over!! 

Joking aside, our D did have deficiencies personnel wise, but a DC then has to scrap what he does, and improvise.

When a defense is lame, I think its worth a shot to try the bend dont break, particularly when our offense is also struggling. Heck, try everything, including blitzing to open games, be unpredictable week to week. 

It's pretty clear now, if it wasn't before, that the defense was Shanahan-Haslet not Haslet alone.

Therefore we don't know who was responsible for certain aspects of the defense.

What we do know is that Haslet prefers a pressure defense. We know that Haslet prefers an aggressive defense. We know that Haslet the defense will be more pass rush focused and we know Haslet has been playing more press coverage in camp. Gruden has placed a greater emphasis on toughness and tackling.

Now it might be speculation that if Haslet is doing the above this year then last year the opposite style i.e. contain/ coverage, off zone, conservative didnt come from him and hence sitting in the both.

But that's all speculation.

Looking forward to watching an improved defense this year.

It's pretty clear now, if it wasn't before, that the defense was Shanahan-Haslet not Haslet alone.

Therefore we don't know who was responsible for certain aspects of the defense.

What we do know is that Haslet prefers a pressure defense. We know that Haslet prefers an aggressive defense. We know that Haslet the defense will be more pass rush focused and we know Haslet has been playing more press coverage in camp. Gruden has placed a greater emphasis on toughness and tackling.

Now it might be speculation that if Haslet is doing the above this year then last year the opposite style i.e. contain/ coverage, off zone, conservative didnt come from him and hence sitting in the both.

But that's all speculation.

Looking forward to watching an improved defense this year.

He also favored the 4-3

Archived