Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defense, Special Teams Shine At Minicamp

well if this is any indication we will be opening up a can of ,well you know, on everyone things seem to be coming together nicelybut we will know better once training camp /preseason gets here.

After last year I'm not biting on any hype. I'll be patient, wait and see, not counting my chicks before they hatch, not putting the cart before  the horse...you know what I'm saying. But I do love my Redskins and I do hate the Cowturds so nothing has changed on that front!

HAIL MANCHILD157!

You said...."After last year I'm not biting on any hype. I'll be patient, wait and see, not counting my chicks before they hatch, not putting the cart before  the horse...you know what I'm saying."

Me too. I'm DIEING to drink the cool-aid but I can only have it go down the wrong tube so many times before I just sip it instead of chugging it.

You also said..."But I do love my Redskins and I do hate the Cowturds so nothing has changed on that front!"

You know what else hasn't changed?...us signing a vet who turns out to be injured & probably won't play as well as he did before signing a big contract.

HTTR!!!

•  
  •  

You know what else hasn't changed?...us signing a vet who turns out to be injured & probably won't play as well as he did before signing a big contract.

HTTR!!!

I am a little worried about Hatch but to be fair he had to pass a physical before we signed him. He did apparently tweak his knee in practice, there is no indication it was a previous condition.

I am also very leery of drinking the koolaid but want to so bad it hurts. Let's hope this is the year it doesn't "go down the wrong way"!

Hail Canada-

I think I'll take small sips also and not chug the whole pitcher of Kool Aid. But please assure me someone that Hatch doesn't follow that old storyline...slap a knee brace on him after he rehabs, a very important part of our defensive pass rush.

. I lift my coffee mug this morning to toast all you faithful guys who lift my attitude with straight talk and some hilarious takes on Redskin situations. We got to laugh to keep us out of the bell tower.

Various notes from Keim: (Multiple articles) relating to Defense & Special teams.

David Amerson looks bigger and, indeed, he said he's added about six or seven pounds of muscle. Amerson does appear to have more toned arms. That will help when he plays press coverage and in run support. I'll have more on Amerson later this summer, but know this: He's had a good spring. Saw him stick with Pierre Garcon in a couple one-on-one occasions. Also, more importantly, saw him use his eyes better and more consistently. It was an issue last year. (this is some of the best news I've heard of all)

More on Clark’s value: He quickly recognized a zone read look and called it out before the play happened. The defense stopped the play. Thomas was praised after one play for his pre-snap communication. (and maybe Thomas has a tutor)

I’m setting the over-under on number of scuffles involving Chase Minnifield this summer at three. He did not get in one Wednesday, but the way he plays aggravates the offense. He’s feisty and aggressive with his hands. Wednesday, tight end Logan Paulsen blocked him on a run to the other side and Minnifield was trying to somehow shed a man who outweighs him by about 75 pounds. At one point Minnifield grabbed Paulsen’s facemask. (yeah, draw your own conclusions here. crossing the line is one thing - not knowing there is one is another

Don’t always see strong leg drive from Clifton Geathers; he gets upright and loses his strength. But he did drive guard Adam Gettis back on one rush. (don't know if any of the DT/NT's have actually 'shined' yet. it's early, but no kool-aid here yet.)

Reed also had a nice block on Murphy, getting his hands into the rookie's chest and pushing him to the ground. (a plus for Reed - not a knock on Murphy. OK maybe this one is off target for D & ST but I like this from Reed.)

Roberts spent one day on Punt returns and one on Kickoffs. (I'm so tired of the 'he's too valuable on offense to use on returns ' line. using the least valuable one hasn't worked out real well lately. how about 'the guy who gets the job done on returns' line instead? how often does the return guy get hurt anyway? better odds he'd get hurt in practice.)

Hocker 3 of 3 on FG's; Kai 2 of 3. (they use half width goal bars in practice & Kai's 50 yard miss would've been good in a game. but Hocker did make his. stay tuned.)

Italics notes are mine - not Keims. 

Hail JohnsBass-  I do remember Chase getting after it in tc and preseason last year.....but you can't pull facemask,well, maybe in minicamp you can. I think that action is a symptom of the kid playing with a chip on his shoulder, maybe knowing that this could be his last chance to make the roster of 53. I'm pulling for him as well as anyone out there who cares enough to fight, scratch, claw their way onto the roster, sometimes things can be pretty even with 2 players on ability but throw in some feistiness and it may get him noticed.

Great synopsis, I may quit reading articles and just wait for your abridged version. ha!

Hail Johns - Thanks for the update and additional insight. Here are some additions:

On the DLine not getting much rush or push: We really need to wait until they get pads on and can really hit before drawing too many conclusions about individuals.

Is it me, or does it seem like our D is winning more battles than our Off? That either means very good things for the D or very bad things for the Off. It is just mini-camp and OTAs. Will try not to worry unless it continues into the TC. Then it will start to bother me.

Chase Minnefield - I really thought he would make last years team, and he should have. I think it's clear that was shannys decision. He liked Gomes who is now gone. Chase still has an awful steep hill to climb, but I am rooting for him. Can't pull face masks though. Feisty is one thing, cheating is another.

Keep the updates coming. I find them more value added than the guys who get paid to do it!! 

Hail Manchild & Goskins!

Thanx for the additional input. 

Yep, like you said GoSkins, it's too early to really tell on the DL. It just seems like the DTs in particular are maybe not quite 100% either - nothing serious. Cofield still a bit limited coming off surgery, Kearse & Thomas too fresh to get a read on so early. I've always liked Neild and he was getting in some time with Barry out, he's just a little behind. Like I said - nothing serious and like you said, see what it's like with pads on.

Defense usually does win more battles early on - the offense is still getting their timing together. Offense is also a little slower speed; looking at proper route running, ball handling, body positioning, ect. Crawl first, then walk, then run like blazes. At some point in camp, the offense will usually start to put the D on their heals (look for a skirmish or three then) and hopefully by the end it sort of balances out and you feel OK with both.

I don't know that Gomes made much of a difference last year versus Chase - DeJon was waived during final roster cuts and spent all of the 2013 season with the Lions. Chase went on the PS after being waived during final roster cuts and came up in like the end of November. 

I like the competition we have for kickoff and punt return. Hell. I'm glad of the fact that guys are competing to help on special teams. Seems last few years we have been reserving players who may be offensive starters or the ones who stepped up weren't worth a crap. Now we got Roberts, Seatrunk, Williams, Thompson, and when it really counts Djax(still feel I'm missing someone).

I like the competition we have for kickoff and punt return. Hell. I'm glad of the fact that guys are competing to help on special teams. Seems last few years we have been reserving players who may be offensive starters or the ones who stepped up weren't worth a crap. Now we got Roberts, Seatrunk, Williams, Thompson, and when it really counts Djax(still feel I'm missing someone).

Moss and Richard Crawford. 

Hope to see someone really stand out and shine here.  Could be a huge lift.  

Hail goskins10-

I'll base my opinion on who will be the best return man for us on an article recently where Roberts said that he relishes the opportunity to return kicks and punts. That is one of the first things that has to happen...a hunger/drive to help your team out anywhere they need you. I think the most serious issue is having a coaching staff that makes it a priority to improve special teams.

well with a new ST coach and several options for return men it seems to be a win/win  situation .

does anyone know anything on the kicking/punting  competition and who is lining up as  long snapper ?

this was the biggest sore spot other than the secondary last year.

Hail goskins10-

I'll base my opinion on who will be the best return man for us on an article recently where Roberts said that he relishes the opportunity to return kicks and punts. That is one of the first things that has to happen...a hunger/drive to help your team out anywhere they need you. I think the most serious issue is having a coaching staff that makes it a priority to improve special teams.

You may have misunderstood my post. You said you were forgetting someone. I believe Moss and Crawford are in the picture for both return jobs.

I really like Roberts or Crawford. Thompson reminds me of Banks.  He's Ok when it doesn't count but useless otherwise. Williams is not likely to make the team. Moss is a bit long in the tooth. If they picked him it tells me they do not see the long term solution on the team. Lache Seastrunk might be a good option. I just worry about putting a rookie back for kicks and or punts. Maybe next year? That's assuming he makes the 53. He may not. Could be on the PS.

So that leaves me with Roberts and Crawford. I also like thee idea of a guy who is hungry. With DJax here, Roberts could make up for some touches by being the return man. He was fairly average in AZ but with some coaching and some true motivation, that could change. But I would not leave Crawford out. He was doing pretty good before he got injured.

well with a new ST coach and several options for return men it seems to be a win/win  situation .

does anyone know anything on the kicking/punting  competition and who is lining up as  long snapper ?

this was the biggest sore spot other than the secondary last year.

On LS - Well, they still have Sundberg; 5 Games the last two years so if someone has an explanation for this I'm all ears. They did bring in in Kyle Nelson who bounced around the league his first couple of years before coming in after Sundberg went down last year. Maybe they have someone else they are looking at on the roster (sometimes a TE does LS duties) for competition or they're happy with one of these two. Don't be too surprised to see some hard looks here like bringing in a body to at least press these guys.

OTAs real early on kickers/punters, they don't press them for much, placement mostly. Hocker maybe a slight edge so far but no clear cut winner.

Malone has a leg up right now for Punter but he is a vet so an early lead over a rookie is expected.

All this talk about special teams & who's going to be our punter/kicker...blah...blah...blah. Boring!  I know it's important but I gotta tell you fellas...I'm pretty much done with all the speculation. I'm MORE than ready for this thing to get going. Only 77 more days.

HTTR!!!

HaHa!!! I was really stretching it to start a discussion on kick and punt returners. We are all bored, not much in articles on the team except about the team name. We are in a limbo area of the summer. Fun thing is starting a discussion and seeing how informed some of you guys are and how deep you will dig to come up with some useful info.

All this talk about special teams & who's going to be our punter/kicker...blah...blah...blah. Boring!  I know it's important but I gotta tell you fellas...I'm pretty much done with all the speculation. I'm MORE than ready for this thing to get going. Only 77 more days.

HTTR!!!

Ok, did we wake up on the wrong side today? WTF does that really mean anyway...  Funny you should ask....

tooltip-bottom.png

“Get up on the wrong side of the bed”

04-wrong-side-of-the-bed-istock-2.jpg

Meaning: To start the day in a less-than-sunny mood

Origin: In Roman times, it was considered bad luck to get out of bed on the left side. Hence if you exited on that wrong side, your day was fated to be a bad one.

As you can see, we are as manchild said bored to tears!!   I want some football!!!!   In absence of the real game I will discuss any point,  no matter who minute! I just want some football!!  I can only watch the Replacements so many times!  (I think I am in the hundreds already, too much time on planes!).

So ultimately I agree with you it's really just blah, blah, blah! But it's all we have so back off!!  :-) 

Archived