Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins 'Ready To Go' For 2014 Draft

I think for Bruce Allen to admit that we don't have gaping holes is kinda foolish. I hope he's right but out of the two guards we signed only one seems like he might be alright. McGlynn was a huge problem area for Indy last year and we signed him to fix our problems on the line. This is not to take away What Bruce did in the offseason. He did a great job of signing multiple players to fill multiple holes but we still have weaknesses that need to addressed. Best available might be Johnny Manziel. Do we sign him because he drops to the second round or do we go after a safety or lineman because these are our two biggest weaknesses.

Canadian I have to disagree with you respectively I don't see how you don't have a preference if the draft is going to help our team. I do agree that we should draft an OL with our pick but if we also draft another QB, LT, WR, RB

Your telling me its whatever.... i say draft what we need and not the next best available player wise like if Manziel is there at 34 but position wise like if we draft a safety get the best safety that's there.

I think for Bruce Allen to admit that we don't have gaping holes is kinda foolish. I hope he's right but out of the two guards we signed only one seems like he might be alright. McGlynn was a huge problem area for Indy last year and we signed him to fix our problems on the line. This is not to take away What Bruce did in the offseason. He did a great job of signing multiple players to fill multiple holes but we still have weaknesses that need to addressed. Best available might be Johnny Manziel. Do we sign him because he drops to the second round or do we go after a safety or lineman because these are our two biggest weaknesses.

Mcglynn was played out of position by the colts. He is a natural center but they moved him to RG. He will challenge and may displace Kory at C, which is also where he played for Jon Gruden in Cinn. This was a much better signing that people think. 

We don't pick manziel, but don't be surprised to see someone trade with us to get him if he is still there at 34. We could get another 3rd or more depending on who moves up. 

Canadian I have to disagree with you respectively I don't see how you don't have a preference if the draft is going to help our team. I do agree that we should draft an OL with our pick but if we also draft another QB, LT, WR, RB

Your telling me its whatever.... i say draft what we need and not the next best available player wise like if Manziel is there at 34 but position wise like if we draft a safety get the best safety that's there.

Picking just need is a recipe for disaster and keeps from developing any depth unless you have a glaring need, and even then you have to be careful of reaching. IMO best player available is the best approach, again unless there is a glaring need and the player will fit that field. 

I agree with anyone that says reaching for a player because of need is a sure sign for disaster. That wouldn't happen at pick 34. McGlynn played tackle in college and was moved to guard in Philly and then moved to center. So to me he found comfort at center after not being be able to handle himself in his original position. This again is not a knock on Bruce Allen or the front office. I believe they know what they are doing and clearly know how to evaluate talent better than me. This isn't the Vinny front office where I'm sure I could evaluate better than them. They have made great moves over the last 3 or 4 years to give us depth and good quality starters but my original point was to not pretend that we don't have weaknesses that need to be corrected. If that means trading back for more draft picks or trading up I'm behind the skins 100%. Draft starts tonight. I can't wait!

I agree with anyone that says reaching for a player because of need is a sure sign for disaster. That wouldn't happen at pick 34. McGlynn played tackle in college and was moved to guard in Philly and then moved to center. So to me he found comfort at center after not being be able to handle himself in his original position. This again is not a knock on Bruce Allen or the front office. I believe they know what they are doing and clearly know how to evaluate talent better than me. This isn't the Vinny front office where I'm sure I could evaluate better than them. They have made great moves over the last 3 or 4 years to give us depth and good quality starters but my original point was to not pretend that we don't have weaknesses that need to be corrected. If that means trading back for more draft picks or trading up I'm behind the skins 100%. Draft starts tonight. I can't wait!

I understand he has moved closer to the ball as his career has gone on. But my point was the Colts put him back out at Guard and that's why he struggled. It's just not his best, or in my words natural position. Also, he played center for Jay in Cinn in 2011 before he signed with the Colts with them moving him to G.

It should be interesting. There will be some serious competition in camp this year. Should be fun, at least for us fans! 

I still have a feeling they might toy with McGlynn @ RT, at least in some swing time. He's somewhat taller than the rest of the Skins interior linemen and Luck has a few inches on Robert (well, in height anyway... ;) )

That being said...by the way the first round played out, I gotta think it is most likely the Redskins are going with Moses in the 2nd. Sorry, GoSkins. If they trade down more than 3 or 4 spots at the absolute most he just won't be there anymore. 

I still have a feeling they might toy with McGlynn @ RT, at least in some swing time. He's somewhat taller than the rest of the Skins interior linemen and Luck has a few inches on Robert (well, in height anyway... ;) )

That being said...by the way the first round played out, I gotta think it is most likely the Redskins are going with Moses in the 2nd. Sorry, GoSkins. If they trade down more than 3 or 4 spots at the absolute most he just won't be there anymore. 

Hey, if we have our guy at 34 then by all means we should draft them. Forget getting more picks. My only thing about trading down is if we don't have who we want. Having said that, let 3456yme ask this, Moses is there at 34. But so is Kouandjio. There is a DL rated 23 still on the board (which I think there is, just can't remember off the top of my head). SOmeone calls for a trade and they want him, and they want him bad. They offer to swap 2s, and give us their 3rd, 5th and 7th picks. Would you take Moses or the trade? 

Hey, if we have our guy at 34 then by all means we should draft them. Forget getting more picks. My only thing about trading down is if we don't have who we want. Having said that, let 3456yme ask this, Moses is there at 34. But so is Kouandjio. There is a DL rated 23 still on the board (which I think there is, just can't remember off the top of my head). SOmeone calls for a trade and they want him, and they want him bad. They offer to swap 2s, and give us their 3rd, 5th and 7th picks. Would you take Moses or the trade? 

I say screw the other teams needs and wishes to move up. GET THAT RIGHT TACKLE!!!!! We have gone too long without taking care of that spot, draft a right tackle should be our most immediate concern because the best ones that are left could be gone before we pick again.

There appears to be some reasonable tackles, a great guard, ILBs, and a good defensive tackle left for the high 2nd round pick. Safety appears to be depleted, at least for the 2nd round, so we should stay away from that slot in the 2nd round. CB appears to have some prospects for later in the 2nd round. If I had my wish I would say trade Cousins and our 3rd round pick to Houston for their 2nd round pick and go for a tackle and UCLA guard. We can get ILBs later on and the CBs is something we can go for next year with a 1st round pick.

Just rambling to get it started, what you folks think we should do?

I say screw the other teams needs and wishes to move up. GET THAT RIGHT TACKLE!!!!! We have gone too long without taking care of that spot, draft a right tackle should be our most immediate concern because the best ones that are left could be gone before we pick again.

I hear you but to be honest I would trade. We can get a lot of talent with that many picks. But that's just me. It will be interesting to see how the FO does.

I hear you but to be honest I would trade. We can get a lot of talent with that many picks. But that's just me. It will be interesting to see how the FO does.

Love getting the extra picks and Shanahan did that his first year but this year we need to get that Right Tackle with Moses and Kouandjiou sitting there for our taking. Seems the only question is which. I say stay the course, get that RT and do whatever you deem good for the team after that.

I cant wait for tonight. Sucks that all the quality safeties were taken in the first round but that means we can focus on the o-line. LETS GO SKINS!!!

We can get a Safety in the Draft next year Bro. We have some competent Vets and we have the young guys at Safety now, which is more than we can say for Right Tackle. We put a band-aid on the Safety position, let Clark teach the 2nd year guys, plug another in 1st or 2nd round next year.

I agree we can get a safety next year. As far as competent vets, I think Clark is our only vet that is worth his spot. I don't like Meriwether. I think he is looking for the highlight reel hit which usually ends up with a missed tackle or costly penalty BUT I still have faith in Phillip Thomas so I agree we can wait. O-line is biggest need. I am interested in that CB from Lindenwood Pierre Desir. If we can pick him up in the 3rd or 4th round I think he could help us out. Pair him up with Amerson would give us tall solid corners for the future.

The only problem with going for the extra picks is that you have to trade down and you know what you have available (minus 1 player) at the current slot, but you have no idea if lower down will leave you with weakness in the areas you would like to improve. However, I will just be happy when we get a chance to pick, waiting a day is not any fun.

We can get a Safety in the Draft next year Bro. We have some competent Vets and we have the young guys at Safety now, which is more than we can say for Right Tackle. We put a band-aid on the Safety position, let Clark teach the 2nd year guys, plug another in 1st or 2nd round next year.

Hail MC!

As usual - in total agreement. There was what, 4 safties gone in the first? Pretty big stretch on anyone else out there at the moment. Not crazy bout the Kujo rumors - could be just smoke to see what scares up. Still not comfy with the knee.

They ought to start a rumor about taking Lee... THAT might bring in more offers

I agree we can get a safety next year. As far as competent vets, I think Clark is our only vet that is worth his spot. I don't like Meriwether. I think he is looking for the highlight reel hit which usually ends up with a missed tackle or costly penalty BUT I still have faith in Phillip Thomas so I agree we can wait. O-line is biggest need. I am interested in that CB from Lindenwood Pierre Desir. If we can pick him up in the 3rd or 4th round I think he could help us out. Pair him up with Amerson would give us tall solid corners for the future.

Hail 603!

Agreed. Also concerned with Merriweather is getting suspended for illeagle hits. He has made them - they weren't bad calls.

Pretty scary to drop that far. I don't get passing on the gift (Moses) left @ RT, though. I thought maybe they were planning to trade up a few more spots to get one of the guys who got grabbed before #45.

The trade worked in their favor; absolutely hate what they did with their first pick. Grade so far - F minus. Blowing your first pick on a luxury item after dropping that far and still passing on the OL with Moses still out there. Hope he slides to the third (but I guess they would pass on him again anyway...uggghh)

so we finally got our tackle and the "experts" don't have many good things to say about him. I was initially upset with the first pick but these are the picks. We gotta trust Bruce knows something we don't. I hope it's not to replace Orakpo. I want Orakpo to have a beast year stay healthy and stay with us for a few more years. But this new kid could add additional pressure or maybe move him inside and then we would be stacked at LB.

Archived